Derek Thompson

ntmeangreen11

I don't get what all the fuss is about with his performance. To me he played great tonight, many people have stated he played below par. When I rewatched the game on ESPN3 when I got home, I noticed he had on a knee brace and was favoring it a little and wincing. That started halfway through the 2nd quarter and he still had several runs after that that went for positive yardage.

He threw 3 TD's and had 201 yards. And he did it on a bum knee, come on people, give the man credit

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

DT is basically a red-shirt freshman out there. He had some great moments in the game but he also had some bad one. He still throws off his back foot too often and he still has a slow delivery. He's doing OK overall but he needs to get better. DT may improve over this season and next and become a very good starter for us. He may not improve and will be passed up by someone else. It's all up to him.

DT is fine. He played a hell of a game tonight. He had 201 yards and most of those were in the first half, because we played super conservative in the second half. Made a couple great throws downfield. Idk what everyone is griping about because I thought he played a heck of a game. He had a couple bad throws, but the good plays more than made up for it. As I've been saying all along, we are perfectly fine at the QB position. DT is getting better every week.

I don't get what all the fuss is about with his performance. To me he played great tonight, many people have stated he played below par. When I rewatched the game on ESPN3 when I got home, I noticed he had on a knee brace and was favoring it a little and wincing. That started halfway through the 2nd quarter and he still had several runs after that that went for positive yardage.

He threw 3 TD's and had 201 yards. And he did it on a bum knee, come on people, give the man credit

I guess performance is all in the eye of the beholder. I still say his 2 TDs were bad throws Bynes & Outlaw made great plays on. Dunbar's TD was a great RAC play by a helluva RB. DT had a horrendous 2nd half, missing many throws, and kick starting IUs comeback with a bad throw to Power that was picked for a TD in the 4th. He still holds the ball too long and stares down his WR.

I will say his play as a runner has definitely improved since week 1. The passing has not...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

All of our QB's wear a brace on their plant leg. I did notice DT limping after a hit but I don't think it bothered him for long. I think our WR saved an other pick when he took the ball out of the hands of an IU defender in the end zone for a TD. DT is no different than most young QB's in this position. He will still make mistakes but I think they will be fewer and fewer as the season progresses.

I guess performance is all in the eye of the beholder. I still say his 2 TDs were bad throws Bynes & Outlaw made great plays on. Dunbar's TD was a great RAC play by a helluva RB. DT had a horrendous 2nd half, missing many throws, and kick starting IUs comeback with a bad throw to Power that was picked for a TD in the 4th. He still holds the ball too long and stares down his WR.

I will say his play as a runner has definitely improved since week 1. The passing has not...

I am giving you a plus one... It was a step forward for DT, but atleast the Bynes TD pass, Bynes went up and took that ball. That was a huge play by him on a forced throw by DT.

Running the ball, DT appeared to choose his spots well and got it done. I think he has improved, and I think he will continue to improve overall. I don't think we have anything close to him at this point.

I agree. Derek is improving from game to game. The two areas of improvement I would like to see from him are stepping into his throws to put more zip on the ball and staying calm under pressure. These will come as he gains confidence and the game slows down for him.

I don't know if he was instructed to feed Dunbar the ball in the 4th quarter, but with the way IU was focussing on Dunbar, he could have tucked the ball and picked up over 10 yards on a couple of carries. He doesn't have to be a speed burner to be effective, but picking up 5 to 6 yards a carry and running over their safeties, as he did last night, will make him very effective.

Good job Derek. Keep working hard and you will continue to improve.

P.S. He's also my adopted player, so I really want to see him do well.

He is playing better but missed on some of the deeper throws. We really haven't thrown the ball deep all season, so it is understandable that he wouldn't make perfect passes on all of them. On the two TD passes to the endzone he made throws that allowed his guys to make plays and that is exactly what they did. I don't think they were bad decisions at all. I think as the season progresses and he can improve he will be a good QB for us. His running has been much better and I would have rather had him run the zone-read on that 3rd and 1 that the freshman.

• Upvote 1

I thought DT played well. When he missed deep the throw was long. That's preferrable to missing short. The TD to Byne was fine - you expect your receiver to have an advantage in that situation and make the play 4-of-5 times. The pick in the 4th quarter did seem to be on DT. I thought the QB runs helped Dunbar alot - the IU defense could never be sure that #5 would get the ball.

I'd give DT a B+ for the game.

The offensive line I give an A+. They're responsible for most of the production of DT & Dunbar.

God bless Texas!