Texas & OU Boards give approval for conference change

MeanGreen61

I think Congress will certainly get involved in this fury and they are likely to kill it. Or tell them to figure out how all 120 teams are equally split up.

Congress would have got involved 4 years ago. I think now they will realize it is political suicide to come within 10 feet of college athetics with all the other things going on.

Anti-trust suit is on the horizon.

I hope

• Upvote 1

Congress would have got involved 4 years ago. I think now they will realize it is political suicide to come within 10 feet of college athetics with all the other things going on.

Anti-trust suit is on the horizon.

I hope

I guess we will see, Congress threatened to get involved last year if the Big 12 completely broke up. I think you are right with the Anti-Trust suit. These schools will all have a problem keeping there non-for-profit status after showing such greed and no concern for anything else.

More people are against the super conferences then are for it and that is all it takes for congress to get involved.

Edited by KingDL1

I think Congress will certainly get involved in this fury and they are likely to kill it. Or tell them to figure out how all 120 teams are equally split up.

At the risk of my post being deleted due to political talk outside of the pie forum...

If the government wants to make those who make more than $200K/year pay more in taxes and pass other "Robin Hood" programs, then they sure as hell had better step in here. I have no problem with a school being successful, but it is just flat out wrong to conspire to keep others from having the same shot at success.

This whole thing makes me sick.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"For parents to travel all the way across the country is going to put a bigger burden on them. It's going to be more difficult," Brown said. "Right now, with the regional leagues the parents can go see their kids play. And that's really important. Because these kids are working their guts out year round for us to have a show on Saturday for the people to enjoy.

College football's as great as it's ever been. But we better keep considering what's in the best interest of the players or at some point they're going to get so frustrated it's not fun for them."

Let me translate for ya Mack.

"It's bad enough aTm will be in the strongest football conference. Why would I want to deal with the added disadvantage of selling recruits' parents on west coast travel?"

Breaking out the antitrust hammer for college football might remind the govt. they can use it in other cases. For better or worse.

The goverment doesn't break out the anti-trust hammer. That is up to the universities left out of the mix. They are the party with the perceived claim.

At the risk of my post being deleted due to political talk outside of the pie forum...

If the government wants to make those who make more than $200K/year pay more in taxes and pass other "Robin Hood" programs, then they sure as hell had better step in here. I have no problem with a school being successful, but it is just flat out wrong to conspire to keep others from having the same shot at success.

This whole thing makes me sick.

Also not to get too plitical, but wouldn't it make sense for the government that is so in debt to look at this as an easy way to get some revenue into the coffers of the treasury? The minor leagues of baseball and other pro leagues are all taxed, so this bunch should be no different. Besides, they all will make huge amount of cash that is MUCH HIGHER than what they already get now. They could easily afford it. Plus, traditionally, universities are more in tune with liberal policies--not always--so this shouldn't be difficult to get support from both the general public and the universities, too. Just for full disclosure, I am conservative, so this isn't easy for me to post!!

I also agree on the part of this making me sick.