Coach Mac's Debut

UNT90

The coaches on our staff have way more first hand college football and bowl game experience than all of us combined. Let's not sit here from our office chairs and make ridiculous game plans that are "better" than the coach's. They know what they are doing. They know what tools they do and don't have. They will figure it out.

If you want to make up pretend game plans and boost your ego, go play NCAA Football 12 on your favorite gaming system.

All we should be concerned about is showing up to the games, getting our friends to come to the games with us, and creating a true home field advantage for our team.

I'm guessing you don't understand the concept of the eyeball test.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You could have posted this after Dodge's 1st game. How did that work out again?

As far as the whole shut up and get friends to come to the game, I've got 30 coming September 10, and I'd like for them to have a reason to return.

Oh, and this is a college football fan board. If no one told you before, this is kind of what we do.

Actually you couldn't unless you were truth challenged. OK we get it...you miss Dodge.

• Upvote 2

OK we get it...you miss Dodge.

The worst coach this program has ever known?

Hardly.

But I'm going to judge Coach McCarney on a performance basis and not just pretend poor performances don't happen (not that my opinion makes a hill of beans). Coach McCarney may turn it around and have the team ready to play against UH and make a competitive game out of it. If he does, I'll give him the praise he deserves.

basketball hater.

Take two teams of 5 guys each and give them 35 minutes to run 5 miles with spotters along the route tasked with slapping them around a bit while they run. At the conclusion of this 35-minute run, inform them that the score is tied and that they will decide the outcome of the game with a 5-minute free throw shooting contest that will last over an hour because we'll need team and media timeouts after each shot.

Not saying, just saying.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Take two teams of 5 guys each and give them 35 minutes to run 5 miles with spotters along the route tasked with slapping them around a bit while they run. At the conclusion of this 35-minute run, inform them that the score is tied and that they will decide the outcome of the game with a 5-minute free throw shooting contest that will last over an hour because we'll need team and media timeouts after each shot.

Not saying, just saying.

Take 2 teams of 9 guys each.

Four and a half hours later, wake me up and tell me what happened.

Not saying, just saying.

Take 2 teams of 9 guys each.

Four and a half hours later, wake me up and tell me what happened.

Not saying, just saying.

Unless we are speaking of the loathsome confines of San Francisco or Los Angeles, or some other such Marxist locale of a National League team, that would be 2 teams of 10 players, good sir.

And with the new college pitch clock, you only get to nap for three hours now, not four and a half. I suggest you schedule your VHS viewings of Matlock accordingly. Now get off my lawn!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Unless we are speaking of the loathsome confines of San Francisco or Los Angeles, or some other such Marxist locale of a National League team, that would be 2 teams of 10 players, good sir.

And with the new college pitch clock, you only get to nap for three hours now, not four and a half. I suggest you schedule your VHS viewings of Matlock accordingly. Now get off my lawn!

My grandkids bought me the complete series of Diagnosis Murder on DVD. Once I figure out how to set my VCR to play them, you can come over and watch a marathon with me. Until 5:45, when I'll be calling it a night.

Let's not fight. Can't we just agree that whether you prefer baseball over basketball or vice versa... At least both of them are better than watching soccer?

Common ground?

I can only use my Iowa State knowledge of Danny Mac, but I can tell you, if it's anything like what we went through, things will get worse before they get better. But they will get better...we had some rough days as Cyclone fans, but DMac pulled through. He's a defensive guy at heart, and until he gets his defensive players in place, it can be rough. He does love to run the ball though, so expect to see a steady diet of that.

Again, if he wanted to see if Thompson could play, why not give him a chance to be successful in the 1st half. Thompson absolutely did not have that chance.

Again, your boss telling you is one thing. Your boss moaning to the media every chance he gets about what a poor job you do and how you just aren't cut out for your position is something completely different. I'm also assuming you are a grown man, These are 18-22 year old kids. What a coach who came from a BCS championship program says about them will have an impact on them.

So lets put this back into work, Is it wrong that your boss moans to his boss every chance he gets about what a poor job you do and how your aren't cut out for your position. I wouldnt think so, because we are his boss even though we dont write his paychecks, our donations and support does.

I wouldnt call myself a grown man but Im 24 years old and starting my professional career. Even in college jobs I always strived to be better, I guess its how I was raised because medioricary can be replaced by anyone but striving for excellence is a little harder. I appreciate it when my boss coaches me on how to be better, its showing that he cares about me. When your boss/coach tells you that your less than average and you had a bad game, you dont just go home and drink. You go back to practice watch film and go out and prove to everyone else that youre better. Thats what Mac is doing, maybe im the only one that sees it that way, and its not the first time yall dont agree with me.

I can only use my Iowa State knowledge of Danny Mac, but I can tell you, if it's anything like what we went through, things will get worse before they get better. But they will get better...we had some rough days as Cyclone fans, but DMac pulled through. He's a defensive guy at heart, and until he gets his defensive players in place, it can be rough. He does love to run the ball though, so expect to see a steady diet of that.

damn.

cyrocksmypants...so what your telling me is our new coach is like the one we had before our HS wonder boy. However, our new coach is never negative about what he has at UNT. Our coach before wonder boy was defamed here for saying anything negative (or that could be construed as being negative), or his recruiting style. Now I'm to expect the new defensive wizards we have as coaches are supposed to be better than our DC and his staff we fired last year.

I'd take the defense that showed up last year at Clemson over the defense that showed up at FIU this year any day.

If you think this staff doesn't know what they have as far as our players are concerned by now then why are we paying this staff 1.5 to 2 Million dollars.

Only thing different is our new head coach is a strict disciplinarian. Let's hope he and his new staff can recruit. Our staff before wonder boy at least recruited two NCAA rushing champions.

Boy's and Girl's our next game against Houston is going to be ugly really ugly!!! Houston beat UCLA. Houston or UCLA could wipe the floor with FIU. Where does that leave UNT.

I was at the Rice game when the score was like 77-20 Rice. The only way next week isn't the same is if Coach Sumlin show extreme professional courtesy to UNT, Coach Mac., and RV by not running up the score on us when we're opening our new stadium.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Mac usually does a really good job at finding diamonds in the rough. He did particularly well with athletes from Texas in his time in Ames. That's why I have faith that he can turn things around. That said, we only won one game his first year. Keep in mind, these are not rebuilding years. Powerhouses re-build. These are re-juvenating years. He's got to have a little time to breathe life into the program before it can learn to walk again.

His playcalling is conservative though, so that will drive you nuts. Troy Davis at ISU is the only collegiate player ever to have two 2,000 yard rushing seasons, but part of the reason that happened was because Mac ran him 35-40 times a game.

My thoughts?

Well, I flew in from another country to see this game and left at halftime. I knew we were in trouble from the beginning and could tell the game was over 10 minutes in. I couldn't believe the offense was so terrible. I couldn't believe we couldn't tackle. I could not believe the wide open receivers the secondary allowed. Add in the rain and it was just a miserable experience.

Add a wife, 2.5 yr old and a 7 month old baby and it's even more fun.

So, the comparison has been made (or inferred) that DMac may be the second coming of DD....albeit a DD that doesn't poor-mouth the school, and instead constantly trumpets positivity about the school (maybe not our players current abilities so much).

Would this be the end of the world? Granted, I sure don't want to see a complete return to DD's style of offense. Die-hards could appreciate it, but the general ticket buying public could not digest it. I don't think we'll get that with DMac, though our offense is obviously dramatically more conservative than it was just a year ago.

Would DD have been fired in 2006 if his public persona was more like DMac's?