Opponent Footage - Indiana

MeanGreenGlory

Some videos of Indiana practice, player interviews, and coach interviews have been posted the last couple of days. Can they stop Dunbar? Can they stop DT? Can we stop them? They look physical and a lot of people are talking about their newly installed "up-tempo offense" as well as their improved defense. Those will certainly be challenges we'll have to control but with the home field advantage and McCarney/Canales/Bowen/Riddle game plan, I think we can pull off a win from a Big 10 school! What do you think?

Link to Video #1

Link to Video #2

Link to Video #3

McCarney and Bowen should have plenty of insight - both coached against Wilson and Sumlin when they were co-offensive coordinators or offensive coordinators at OU. They were co-offensive coordinators when they beat us like a drum in 2007.

McCarney

2002: OU 49, Iowa State 3 (Wilson/Chuck Long, co-offensive coordinators)

2003: OU 53, Iowa State 7 (Wilson/Chuck Long, co-offensive coordinators)

2006: OU 34, Iowa State 6 (Wilson/Sumlin, co-offensive coordinators)

Bowen

2008: OU 45, Kansas 31 (Wilson, offensive coordinator)

2009: OU 35, Kansas 13 (Wilson, offensive coordinator)

It doesn't look all that great. But, look...it was OU at their prime. OU won the Big 12 title in three of those five seasons (2002, 2006, 2008), played for the national title with two of those teams (2003 and 2008), and went to BCS bowls after each of those seasons. So, it's not like McCarney and Bowen ever caught those guys in a bad year.

Add to it that in two of those seasons, the OU offense produced two Heisman Trophy winners (Jason White in 2003 and Sam Bradford in 2008), and you can see the challenge every defensive coordinator had against them.

McCarney was the DL coach for the Florida Gator squad the beat Bradford and OU for the title in 2008. And his line made two goal line stands against OU in the first half of that game, that pretty much took the wind out of the Sooners sails.

Neither Houston nor Indiana will have the type of athletes OU had in those seasons. And, neither offensive scheme will be new to McCarney or Bowen. That's why I'm particularly interested in these games. Even if we don't win either of them, if we play them close with this young group of players and new coaches, I think we'll be able to safely say we're ready for Sun Belt play.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2

If things go well for us in this game, it goes a long way toward proving the "coaching matters" belief.

The coaching staffs and athletes McCarney and Bowen prepared to opposed, just with OU, is striking. But, consider how long McCarney's been in the game at places like Iowa, Wisconsin, and Florida, as well as his stint in the Big 12.

In reality, McCarney should be able to know what to expect from Wilson, Sumlin, and any other coach standing across the sideline from him. Ditto Bowen with Houston and Indiana because Kansas played many games against OU when he was the defensive coordinator and also position coach.

...and Kent Riddle.

We have guys who have coached at the same level with Wilson and Sumlin, so we should expect to compete with them. Again, no excuses. We have the coaching staff many of us have hollered that we needed. It's now just sitting back, taking in the results, and comparing them to the results of Dickey and Dodge.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Some videos of Indiana practice, player interviews, and coach interviews have been posted the last couple of days. Can they stop Dunbar? Can they stop DT? Can we stop them? They look physical and a lot of people are talking about their newly installed "up-tempo offense" as well as their improved defense. Those will certainly be challenges we'll have to control but with the home field advantage and McCarney/Canales/Bowen/Riddle game plan, I think we can pull off a win from a Big 10 school! What do you think?

Link to Video #1

Link to Video #2

Link to Video #3

I'm thinking what you're thinking.

Going by that little big of Oklahoma drill it would appear we will have no issue running the ball. Granted, it was a short tape but I think there was maybe one time that I would count as a successful defensive stop.

I'm also glad that when we've seen videos of practice we've had the actual sound and not some blaring rock song.

Going by that little big of Oklahoma drill it would appear we will have no issue running the ball. Granted, it was a short tape but I think there was maybe one time that I would count as a successful defensive stop.

I'm also glad that when we've seen videos of practice we've had the actual sound and not some blaring rock song.

Show me an Oklahoma drill vid that has the D usually making stops.