No big surprise.... supporter has been paying players big time.. and arranging "other benefits".

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AhRDguunbnU6_9UA9ihCkD85nYcB?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

• Upvote 1

--SMU should be IRATE if they don't get the death penalty.... much, much worse.

This is pretty bad, but didn't SMU's ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT pay their players? To me, that's way worse than a booster paying players.

These sanctions should be MUCH worse than Southern Cal's though, but to get the Death Penalty like SMU, there should be some evidence that improper benefits came from within the AD.

Weren't there 7 coaches who also received benefits? Seems like they would have been well aware of what was going on. Or at least should have been. Sticking your head in the sand is essentially the same as being a part of it.

This is pretty bad. If ever they were going to issue the death penalty again, this had got to be as close as they've been. Casts a stain on everyone during those time periods. 8 years of this guy doing this and no one thought to wonder or investigate? I don't buy it.

You can forget the death penalty...SMU paid that price for every one else EVER! Miami will not see the death penalty...the NCAA is too weak in its enforcement and would just be sued into oblivion if it even thought about giving any "big time" school the death penalty...ever!

The NCAA enforcement arm is a joke. Each time a "big dog" gets caught we all see what a "weakling" the NCAA really is....too bad!

But, haven't we always known that Miami runs a dirty shop???? Where's the news? Well, maybe that they got caught at all.

The NCAA is a JOKE! Norm just read off the list, North Carolina, State, Baylor, Boise, Tennessee, in two sports.... this Miami clown allegedly paid for a players one night stand abortion....Wow makes me want to throw up. What an absolute joke the NCAA has become.

The NCAA is a JOKE! Norm just read off the list, North Carolina, State, Baylor, Boise, Tennessee, in two sports.... this Miami clown allegedly paid for a players one night stand abortion....Wow makes me want to throw up. What an absolute joke the NCAA has become.

This is exactly why the death penalty is going to have to be on the table. It'll be a PR move/save for the NCAA....the NCAA is burning...

According to this guys attorney, Larry Coker from UTSA knew about this guy when he was there. Bad timing for Coker and UTSA.

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/08/17/11/Attorney-Coker-Shannon-knew-about-Shapir/landing_canes.html?blockID=549468&feedID=3720

I don't think that guy could fit his yaght on the riverwalk though. However, the guy from "Flip This House" seems to be kinda shady. Might want to keep an eye on him:

armando-montelongo.png

I can't see the Death penalty, or even lack of TV given the ACC (not to mention ABC/ESPN/etc) would probably sue NCAA because of loss of TV contract worth. However, I do suspect the NCAA will do something like 5 years of no Bowl games, 2 years with no non conference games (hence you don't hurt the league schedule wise, just Miami), and a loss of 15-20 scholarships per year for say 4-6 seasons.

Edited by CMJ

I can't see the Death penalty, or even lack of TV given the ACC (not to mention ABC/ESPN/etc) would probably sue NCAA because of loss of TV contract worth. However, I do suspect the NCAA will do something like 5 years of no Bowl games, 2 years with no non conference games (hence you don't hurt the league schedule wise, just Miami), and a loss of 15-20 scholarships per year for say 4-6 seasons.

Has the NCAA ever been sued for sanctions imposed on a school?

Has the NCAA ever been sued for sanctions imposed on a school?

No, but the TV contracts have never been worth so much either.

No school has gotten blacked out of TV in about 15 years (and when I was growing up it happened with some regularity) -- & I believe this is in large part because the NCAA is aware the conferences and networks might sue. If a network lays down however many hundreds of millions of bucks for a conference contract -- and suddenly one of the schools can in no way be shown, the value of the contract is potentially shortchanged big time.

Edited by CMJ

No, but the TV contracts have never been worth so much either.

No school has gotten blacked out of TV in about 15 years (and when I was growing up it happened with some regularity) -- & I believe this is in large part because the NCAA is aware the conferences and networks might sue. If a network lays down however many hundreds of millions of bucks for a conference contract -- and suddenly one of the schools can in no way be shown, the value of the contract is potentially shortchanged big time.

It just seems that would be a can of worms nobody would be willing to open. If ABC/ESPN can sue the NCAA because they won't be able to broadcast the "U" for a season, then FOX can sue the NFL if a high profile player has been suspended longer than they think fair. Someone could just as easily sue if Miami is not able to play in a bowl game for 5 years as they could if they can't play football for one year. I definitely see political pressure being applied, but I don't see a lawsuit.

The timing couldn't be worse for Miami. The NCAA has been pontificating about cracking down on dirty programs. This story is too lurid to ignore. They may make an example of Miami, the team America loves to hate.

• Upvote 1

It just seems that would be a can of worms nobody would be willing to open. If ABC/ESPN can sue the NCAA because they won't be able to broadcast the "U" for a season, then FOX can sue the NFL if a high profile player has been suspended longer than they think fair. Someone could just as easily sue if Miami is not able to play in a bowl game for 5 years as they could if they can't play football for one year. I definitely see political pressure being applied, but I don't see a lawsuit.

Perhaps not, but the NCAA hasn't kicked anyone off TV since the mid 1990's. Getting your TV coverage taken away used to be a yearly penalty for someone when I was growing up. One year it'd be Texas, then Auburn, then Florida, etc.. But not in ages. I can't even remember the last time a big time football program was stripped of TV. The boys in Indy are afraid of something.

(Interestingly I think it was almost always a SEC Big 8 or SWC school -- most of the places schools still have the big issues)