For a forum that had numerous Ranger threads last year, it sure has been quiet around here this season. Maybe it was the mediocre early season play, the playoff run by the Mavs, or could it be something else. Could it be that we last year's run to the Series has spoiled us into just not being interested until the playoffs?

Well, let's change that. Open discussion on the current 11 game win streak, possible trades before the deadline (Heath Bell, anyone?), Ron Washington's one year (or is it 2?) of non-cocaine use, or anything else that trips your trigger.

I'll start off by making a mid-season prediction of a final record. As I'm sure you all know, my last year predicition made about this time was 91 wins. The Rangers won 90. ;)

After close analysis of the schedule, I am putting the final record at 93-69. And an American League West title.

They will need some extra bullpen help but I wouldn't break the bank to get one of those guys. The Rangers can probably find an arm or two from a not too hyped up list from a team wanting to unload and it will do the job especially since the bullpen guys as is are starting to come around.

I don't see any blockbuster type deal such as a Cliff Lee mainly since that type of number 1 pitcher isn't out there on the market this year. Marlins will listen in giving up Josh Johnson but he's hurt and he won't do any good this year....and Anibal Sanchez is interesting but again I'm not sure he'd have a Cliff Lee type impact.

With the way the team is playing right now I say stand pat and just be opportunistic if it comes but I really don't see anything major happening. If the offense is playing like they did last year not only producing but making the opposing pitchers work like a dog then I'm fine rolling out Wilson, Lewis, Harrison, Holland and Ogando.

• 2 weeks later...

With Holland pitching another complete game shutout today is he quickly reaching the status of untouchable? I know he's been a part of a lot of rumors but man giving him up for bullpen help is ludacris. He's only 24 and did come up to the big leagues much earlier than what he probably should have. I think he's starting to figure it out and realize how effing dominant he can be. And yes the inconsistency will probably still be there but if I am the Rangers I would put the untouchable label on him.

He's tied for the ML lead with Cliff Lee as the most complete game shutouts with 4. Just a stat but still impressive and gets my baseball nuts happy with what we have now and what he may be really soon.

Ranger big reliever move might be in the works. According to Evan Grant and MLB Rumors.com rangers will trade Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter for Koji Uehara. Personally, I do not like this trade because it's giving up way too much for a 36 year old reliever and probably lessens the chance of getting Bell.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/rangers-moving-toward-deal-for-koji-uehara.html

Ranger big reliever move might be in the works. According to Evan Grant and MLB Rumors.com rangers will trade Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter for Koji Uehara. Personally, I do not like this trade because it's giving up way too much for a 36 year old reliever and probably lessens the chance of getting Bell.

http://www.mlbtrader...oji-uehara.html

For any good team that wants to upgrade nearing the trade deadline...a little bit of overpaying is expected. This is a great trade because they gave up Hunter who is at best a 4 or 5 starter in a decent rotation. Davis of course has some upside but he's a great 4A player right now. I've said this for a while now that if there is a time he will figure it out it will be in another uniform. There really isn't space for him in the organization right now...Moreland is clearly the 1B of the future or who knows...with the way the Rangers are run now it will be some other prospect they get within the next couple of years. The Rangers are in a win now mode and I don't think they gave up much of anything to get a bullpen guy who has excellent numbers.

For any good team that wants to upgrade nearing the trade deadline...a little bit of overpaying is expected. This is a great trade because they gave up Hunter who is at best a 4 or 5 starter in a decent rotation. Davis of course has some upside but he's a great 4A player right now. I've said this for a while now that if there is a time he will figure it out it will be in another uniform. There really isn't space for him in the organization right now...Moreland is clearly the 1B of the future or who knows...with the way the Rangers are run now it will be some other prospect they get within the next couple of years. The Rangers are in a win now mode and I don't think they gave up much of anything to get a bullpen guy who has excellent numbers.

gagree

In a matter of two days Rangers bullpen goes from average to one of the best. Just completed a deal for Mike Adams by sending away to highly touted prospects in Joe Wieland and Robbie Erlin. Rangers are gearing up for another deep post season run and now they just sured up their weakest point.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas-rangers/post/_/id/4869140/rangers-add-mike-adams-for-wieland-erlin

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

In a matter of two days Rangers bullpen goes from average to one of the best. Just completed a deal for Mike Adams by sending away to highly touted prospects in Joe Wieland and Robbie Erlin. Rangers are gearing up for another deep post season run and now they just sured up their weakest point.

http://espn.go.com/b...r-wieland-erlin

Love the addition, hate the subtraction.

Outside of Perez, wish we had given up any other pitching prospect than Wieland.

Love the addition, hate the subtraction.

Outside of Perez, wish we had given up any other pitching prospect than Wieland.

Both Erlin and Wieland may turn out to be great but I think the Wieland no no made the deal happen even more. I just think Texas gave up way to little to get two shut down relievers as they're in a win now mode. Personally I still fear the Red Sox offense and it is a tough task for any pitching staff but I think as of now and especially on paper, the Red Sox and Rangers are the clear favorites to win the AL pennant this season.

Personally I still fear the Red Sox offense and it is a tough task for any pitching staff but I think as of now and especially on paper, the Red Sox and Rangers are the clear favorites to win the AL pennant this season.

Well, I think the Giants showed last year what to do with a great hitting lineup.

Thats why I like this move because it is making the pitching so much better and in the playoffs that is the single most important thing. When you compare teams now I think the Red Sox have a slight advantage over the Rangers when it comes to hitting. However rotation and bullpen I have to go with the Rangers and I think that will prove advantageous come playoffs.

First thing to worry about is separation from LA or this becomes moot.

Why is Kinsler still batting leadoff? The guy is hitting .250 and is back to his love affair with that upper cut homerun swing. I am not sure what was so wrong with Andrus leading off or someone else like Chavez, Borbon (if healthy) etc. I am completely frustrated with Kinsler and he will be the crippler to the success of this offense if he doesn't get his act together. Get him down to 6th or 7th and maybe he'll go back to his 2010 or 2008 form. If I am JD id welcome trade offers this off season because offensively he's become a complete whip.

• 1 month later...

This is a really good group of teams this year. Obviously you have Boston and New York but Texas may just start to be in the peak mode as being 100% healthy. Detroit scares me just because they have Verlander and a really underrated staff as a whole. Plus I think playing road games in Detroit in October will not be an easy task. As it is the Rangers can't win at Comerica in the regular season.

Rangers-Phillies World Series. Rangers have more pitching than NY and I don't see the Tigers having much more than Verlander and some good position players. The Phillies are the shoe-in for the NL, no one will come close to competing with them. Hopefully the Rangers can pull it off this year. I just can't wait to see some playoff baseball finally.

boston sucks... this coming from a die hard sox fan....they are HORRIBLE right now. good thing the rangers are my #2

I forgot who it was but one of the Globe's Red Sox beat writeres before the season said that this team could be the greatest team in baseball history lol.

Boston has been VERY suspect since day 1. I realize they've had injuries but their pitching staff is a huge question. After Beckett and Lester you're on thin ice. Bucholz is good but doesn't scare me at all. Lackey sucks, Dice K well hurt but overrated and other than Papelbon there aren't any world beaters in the bullpen.

Bedard is a glorified Rich Harden...when he's on he is on. But like Harden he seems to be one of those guys that he'll give you 5 or 6 scoreless innings or only give up a run but it will take him 100 pitches.

On the whole...there is no doubt that despite their question marks this will still be an ultimate choke job if they dont make it to the postseason since they were up 7 games on the Rays earlier this month!!

This is a really good group of teams this year. Obviously you have Boston and New York but Texas may just start to be in the peak mode as being 100% healthy. Detroit scares me just because they have Verlander and a really underrated staff as a whole. Plus I think playing road games in Detroit in October will not be an easy task. As it is the Rangers can't win at Comerica in the regular season.

Couldn't win in Tampa last season either. Bring any of them on.

I forgot who it was but one of the Globe's Red Sox beat writeres before the season said that this team could be the greatest team in baseball history lol.

Boston has been VERY suspect since day 1. I realize they've had injuries but their pitching staff is a huge question. After Beckett and Lester you're on thin ice. Bucholz is good but doesn't scare me at all. Lackey sucks, Dice K well hurt but overrated and other than Papelbon there aren't any world beaters in the bullpen.

Bedard is a glorified Rich Harden...when he's on he is on. But like Harden he seems to be one of those guys that he'll give you 5 or 6 scoreless innings or only give up a run but it will take him 100 pitches.

On the whole...there is no doubt that despite their question marks this will still be an ultimate choke job if they dont make it to the postseason since they were up 7 games on the Rays earlier this month!!

I'm a Sox fan...I knew going into this season that the line-up would produce but the staff was going to be the team's downfall. Lester is a horse, but not an ace...he's Pettite without a Clemons/Sabathia. I'm shocked they're in a playoff race... Beckett's bounce back after a dismal 2010 may well be the only reason...and he's clearly tired down the stretch. Buch can't stay healthy and hasn't pitched since June. Lackey sucks. Dice-K sucks. Bedard was a nice pick-up if you're counting on him to be your 5 down the stretch, not your 3. I love Wake for his loyalty...he's a trooper willing to pitch where ever and when ever Tito calls on him, but he's at best an inning eating spot starter/long reliever...not a playoff run rotation member.

I think they still get in...but they're clearly fodder for the Rangers/Tigers...really hoping its the Rangers.