How about another soccer thread! The Women's World Cup is being hosted by Germany.

The USA is the #1 ranked team in the world of women's soccer, so it has a different "feeling" than the men's world cup.

The USA just finished their first game of the tournament a few minutes ago...the result:

United States 2-0 North Korea

Next Game: Colombia on Saturday

Go USA!

U.S. is up 1-0 early and looking great...GREAT goal by O'Riley...goal of the tournament so far! Amazing strike by O'Riley!

USA...USA...USA!!!!!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

1-0 at halftime with the U.S. still controlling play, BUT Columbia is still in this thing and that is a problem. Too many missed chances for the U.S. Will it come back to hurt the U.S.? We'll see. GO USA!

If the U.S. wins they are through to the quarterfinals!

Well, we got the answer, and the answer was NO...no problem being 1-0 at half...nice sub in Rampone (spelling?) who scored in seconds after being inserted to open the second half.

Well done, ladies...3-0 over Columbia.

Now, on to a game against Sweden (it should be a tough contest), but whatever happens against Sweden, the U.S. is in the quarterfinals! GO USA!!!!

• Upvote 1

Great game! I wish Wambach could've gotten a goal in for some confidence, but hopefully she will step it up in the more crucial games to come.

I know a lot of people think women's soccer is a joke, but it is pretty fun to watch, they are pretty good (#1 in the world), and it isn't painful to watch like the WNBA is...

As far as the attractiveness of the players...I have always like Alex Morgan.

09SocW_Morgan-Alex_mug_214-150x188.jpg

• Upvote 1

US women lose 2-1 to Sweden in the final group stage game. First group stage game loss by the US women...ever! Defense looked pretty poor today and the swedes kept the US forwards and midfielders pretty well tied up. At times the Swedes went by the US players as if they were standing still. Too bad, as now the US will most likely play Brazil in the quarterfinals this weekend. Tough game, but maybe the US can look at the film and re-group for the quarters.

Still have a shot at winning the World Cup, but not if they play like they played today...get some rest ladies and come out smokin' against Brazil...USA...USA!!!!

The plus side of this loss is that Germany is on the other side of the bracket. Brazil worries me far less than Germany and their home crowd. The loss itself though is very disconcerting. For what it's worth though, the second Sweden goal was a fluke.

It is too bad that this was our first group stage loss ever. Anything less than winning the whole thing would be a disappointment for the #1 ranked team in the world. Anyways, here is what the bracket looks like. The number in parentheses is the world ranking:

Germany (2)

Japan (4)

Sweden (5)

Australia (11)

England (10)

France (7)

Brazil (3)

United States (1)

WOW! The most miracle of miracles comeback by the USA today against Brazil (and the referees) to move the US into the final four! Fantastic goal to even by Wambauch in stoppage time and then the US wins it in the penalty kick phase after twp overtimes playing with ten for most of the second half and all of overtime. This is just fantastic.

The refs actually did their best to "steal" this game for the Brazilians, but the US simply would not quit...AMAZING...an EPIC Match..

Man, if you saw this you saw some champions playing for the US. One of the most exciting soccer games I have ever witnessed. I am so glad that i got to see this magnificent game...I would have hated to have missed this. It will go down in soccer history as one of the classic games! GO USA....GO USA!!! I am actually stunned by this comeback.

Hope Solo was amazing in goal!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

That was one of the most epic sporting events I've witnessed. Abby Wambauch's header was a thing of beauty, and Hope Solo was incredible.

Can't wait for Wednesday. Bring on the Frenchie's.

Edited by GreenBat
  • Upvote 1

Helluva game! Everything you can ask for happened in this game including attempted FIFA screwjoberry.

This WWC is really fun to watch. The fact that Hope Solo and Lauren Cheney are a lot easier on the eyes than Tim Howard and Michael Bradley helps too.

USA!

• Upvote 1

it was the most amazing soccer game i have ever seen....and i was so pissed when the brazilian girl faked the injury and was carted off just to jump off the streacher and run back into the game.... then to be down a man almost the entire second half and OT...then the most beautiufl of goals by wambach and the amazing pk's! Great Great Amazing Win....its been 2 hours and im still shocked/pumped/happy/amazed that this happened!

Now lets take down the french!

USA! USA! USA! USA!

US up 1-0 at half, but France seems to be controlling the game. After the early US goal, the US had ZERO shots on goal the rest of the half. US has speed on the French, but the midfield, at this point, looks like they aren't even on the pitch. I am sure that Pia will make some adjustments at half and the US should come out ready for the second half. France has never beaten the US and it doesn't need to start today!

Great goal by the US, but let's go for the second and third! Go USA!!!!!!