I know we have some soccer fans on here, so I figured I'd get a thread started. The USA plays their first group C game tonight against Canada. It is at 7:00pm on Fox Soccer Channel. The other two group C teams, Panama and Guadaloupe, play right after. Canada claims to have its strongest team ever, so the game should be interesting. Here are the other results so far:

Group A:

Mexico 5-0 El Salvador

Costa Rica 5-0 Cuba

Group B:

Jamaica 4-0 Grenada

Honduras 0-0 Guatemala

The top two teams from each group, and the two highest rated third place teams move on to the quarterfinals. From there it is single elimimination.

Go USA!!!!!

• Upvote 4

I know we have some soccer fans on here, so I figured I'd get a thread started. The USA plays their first group C game tonight against Canada. It is at 7:00pm on Fox Soccer Channel. The other two group C teams, Panama and Guadaloupe, play right after. Canada claims to have its strongest team ever, so the game should be interesting. Here are the other results so far:

Group A:

Mexico 5-0 El Salvador

Costa Rica 5-0 Cuba

Group B:

Jamaica 4-0 Grenada

Honduras 0-0 Guatemala

The top two teams from each group, and the two highest rated third place teams move on to the quarterfinals. From there it is single elimimination.

Go USA!!!!!

Canada having it's strongest team ever is like saying Shasta has a new and improved flavor. If the US does not win this group going away then Bob Bradley has some 'splainin to do.

• Upvote 1

I'll take nearly anything better than Saturday's showing.

I'd be curious to see what a Bedoya, Agudelo duo up front could accomplish...their speed and creativity intrigues me and Jozy might be a good sub in the 65th to finish games.

Jones and Edu looked lost against Spain, but I think they're key in the mid for us going forward so I'd like to see 90 from them if fit. Let Landon rest...maybe Dempsey too...Bradley could use more work since he got none at Villa.

Ream was the best at the back against Spain. That's a major problem. Got to find some players to step up here.

I'll take nearly anything better than Saturday's showing.

I'd be curious to see what a Bedoya, Agudelo duo up front could accomplish...their speed and creativity intrigues me and Jozy might be a good sub in the 65th to finish games.

Jones and Edu looked lost against Spain, but I think they're key in the mid for us going forward so I'd like to see 90 from them if fit. Let Landon rest...maybe Dempsey too...Bradley could use more work since he got none at Villa.

Ream was the best at the back against Spain. That's a major problem. Got to find some players to step up here.

I actually think we need to play our 100% first team tonight to make a statement (especially to ourselves) after that embarassment against Spain. This will be the toughest game of the group. The last group game against Guadeloupe should give us a good chance to rest Donovan and Dempsey before the knockout round.

I actually think we need to play our 100% first team tonight to make a statement (especially to ourselves) after that embarassment against Spain. This will be the toughest game of the group. The last group game against Guadeloupe should give us a good chance to rest Donovan and Dempsey before the knockout round.

On second thought, I'm with you on this...need a bump in confidence and should be able to toy around with line-ups and formations (4-5-1, anyone?) against Guadeloupe.

OK...so what, assuming Landon is fit and Bocanegra is not and Bradley stays 4-4-2, does first team look like? I think I'd go...

Cherundelo - Lichaj - Ream - Goodson

Dempsey - Donovan - Edu - Bradley (but I want to see a lot of Jones if possible)

Bedoya - Agundelo

Nice to see the futbol talk here on GMG.Com. I am in 100% agreement that the US needs to field it's strongest team possible and come out to make a statement in this game tonight after that complete and total disaster against Spain! What an embarrassment even with an undermanned team against Spain. The US squad was chasing the ball all day and leaving gaps in its defense wide enough for a Mack truck to drive through. Much like the Mavs Sunday leaving the lane open for LeBron to drive and dunk!

I was stunned, stunned mind you, watching that disaster of a game against Spain. If you are a "soccer person", we can all try to understand the "whys" and the situation that led Bradley to play the way his squad did and to start the line up he did, but this was such a bad showing that I think any US fan in attendance should be given their money back for the price of their tickets. A good HS team could have played as well...OK, well a good Dallas-area Club U-19 team certainly could have played as well. Yes, Spain is the world champ, but they didn't even play their best squad. All I can say is, US squad was really poor and it was not all because Donovan and Dempsey were not in the lineup. Those that were certainly did not show "well" at all...in stretches the US looked OK, especially in the second half, but by then I ma Spain was simply playing to not embarrass the US squad any more than it already had. Very disappointed in this effort. The squad needs to come out "on fire" and mad as heck this evening against Canada...no, Canada is no Spain on the pitch, but the US needs a convincing win none the less.

USA! USA! USA! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!! Score early, score often...USA!

• Upvote 1

You know what I'm really diggin'?

The fact that Clint Dempsey has indicated to Fulham his intention to leave Craven Cottage if a Champions League side comes calling during the summer transfer window?

Repeat this mantra: Dempsey to Arsenal, Dempsey to Arsenal, Dempsey to Arsenal.

The fact that Clint Dempsey has indicated to Fulham his intention to leave Craven Cottage if a Champions League side comes calling during the summer transfer window?

All those words sound like English, but so does the gibberish that insane bums shout on street corners.

What does the inkblot look like to you, CBL?

Dempsey to Arsenal would be fantastic. We need someone to break into the EPL big 4 (other than a goalie). Javier Heranandez being a star at Manchester United without an American in the big 4 doesn't sit well with me.

EDIT: If I could go back in time I would do it myself. :ph34r:

Edited by Mean Green Matt

All those words sound like English, but so does the gibberish that insane bums shout on street corners.

What does the inkblot look like to you, CBL?

Did you know Niklas Bendtner is both 100% committed to leaving Arsenal AND is likely to net Emirates some £12M? It's like having sex with the T-Mobile girl while she makes you the perfect whiskey sour...and I'm not talking Evan Williams with cheap sour mix...I'm talking Basil Hayden's with grapefruit bitters and raw egg whites.

Dempsey to Arsenal would be fantastic. We need someone to break into the EPL big 4 (other than a goalie). Javier Heranandez being a star at Manchester United without an American in the big 4 doesn't sit well with me.

EDIT: If I could go back in time I would do it myself. :ph34r:

I'm a bit torn...he'd really need to up his game to find regular time in the Gunners' mid...if he does leave Fulham and it's not for Arsenal though, I'd prefer he go La Liga or Serie A...apparently AC Milan is showing interest. It'd pain me to see him in Manchester in Chelsea blue.

I had a brain fart in my first post...Panama vs. Guadaloupe are playing right now instead of after the USA vs. Canada.

Panama is winnnig 3-1 in the 75th minute. This also may delay the USA game a bit, and on the Fox Soccer Channel pre-game they said the USA and Canada would be forced to warm up in their locker rooms.

Good first half from the USA. Definitely showing signs of life after the beating from Spain. Hopefully we can put 1-2 more in the net in the second half. This is most likely the toughest game of the group, so I can't complain.

I'm actually not impressed by that first half. Canada allowed a weak Altidore goal and they controlled possesion in late second half.

I'm actually not impressed by that first half. Canada allowed a weak Altidore goal and they controlled possesion in late second half.

Intersting. Other than a couple spurts of possession from Canada, I thought we pretty much controlled the game. There were a couple dangerous moments that Canada didn't finish, but at the same time, we didn't finish a couple chances either.

Either way, it is nice to start off with a 2-0 win.

Go USA!

Intersting. Other than a couple spurts of possession from Canada, I thought we pretty much controlled the game. There were a couple dangerous moments that Canada didn't finish, but at the same time, we didn't finish a couple chances either.

Either way, it is nice to start off with a 2-0 win.

Go USA!

I was really impressed with Ream and Jones. Those were two of our weakest positions in South Africa. With Bradley, Jones Dempsey and Donovan the midfield is better than most. Too bad Holden is out, so we could have moved Dempsey up top.