Houston Hand Sign

UNT90

I make the shocker hand signal on principal about 10 or 11 times daily... We should have adopted this.

Do they also endorse the reverse shocker, the barbed wire shocker, the reverse barbed wire shocker, and the spocker? All variations should be embraced.

go mean green.

Here's an idea...let's spread the word that NT has a classy fan base who will cheer for their own team rather than make juvenile gestures directed at the opponent.

Well, your just no fun.

Students will be students. Hopefully there will be some good natured pokes at future opponents by a full student section for years to come.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have come across a golden piece of info. Apparently the UH hand sign is the exact same sign as the shocker, or at least it was a couple of years ago. Seriously.

Spread this info far and wide for tfe home opener.

I first saw it when UH played Kansas at the Fort Worth Bowl. I thought it was a joke, there was an old couple in front of me throwing up the sign. I had to ask them what it meant. Luckily it was a U and H.

I first saw it when UH played Kansas at the Fort Worth Bowl. I thought it was a joke, there was an old couple in front of me throwing up the sign. I had to ask them what it meant. Luckily it was a U and H.

I've seen great debate on the origins of the Cougar Paw hand sign.

Some people say that the fingers form a "U" and an "H". Personally I think that's lame and a stretch to see, but it may be true. It seems odd to call it the Cougar Paw though if it is supposed to be a UH.

The other two origins are related to UT.

The official story is related to an injury to one of our early live cougar Shasta mascots. From the UH website:

"In Texas, all of the major universities have adopted a hand sign which signifies to all other Texans where your loyalties lie. The Cougar Hand Sign is no different. Although the original hand sign was the "V" for Victory until 1965, events conspired and a new hand sign was adopted. The inaugural football game between University of Houston and University of Texas during the 1953 campaign witnessed the birth of a blood rivalry between the state's two largest universities at that time. However, it also led to the adoption of another Cougar Hand Sign. During her transport from Houston to Austin, one of the fingers on Shasta's paw was severed when the cage door was closed. As the University of Texas partisans and players caught wind of the accident, they mimicked the animal by bending their thumb over the ring finger against their palm. This gesture implied that the Cougars were invalids. The Cougars would go on to lose the game 28-7.

The cougar faithful, still mindful of the stinging defeat suffered 15 years earlier, never forgot the taunting that they received. The next time the two teams faced off (1968... a whole 15 years later), UH tied UT 20-20. At that point, the students thought there might be a bit of magic in that sign, and the hand sign was adopted replacing the "V".

In 1976, the Cougars first football season in the Southwest Conference, the Coogs & Horns met for the third time ever. The Coogs put a beating on the Longhorns that they have yet to forget 30-0 (a.k.a.the "Dad's Day Massacre") in front of the largest crowd to assemble in Memorial Stadium at that time. That victory ended the Longhorns famed winning streak, and the embarrassment also signaled the end of legendary UT Coach Darryl K. Royal's career. After that victory, the Cougar Hand Sign became firmly entrenched. "

That's a great story, but we have a lot of old timers that dispute the timeline and history of that explanation.

The final theory is that it is the Hook 'em Horns sign with the middle finger added. Kind of flipping the bird at UT. That's a funny theory although when I was in school, I saw plenty of UH fans flash the horns then flip that middle finger up. Doubtful if that's the real origin though.

Here's Case Keenum flashing the paw.

600xPopupGallery.jpg

Here's UH AD Mack Rhoades and UH President Renu Khator throwing up the paw

720733.jpg

I dunno. I think he is just celebrating his 30th birthday.

I'll help with you childish shocker humor...

No he's not celebrating his 30th birthday (he turned 23 in February), but he is getting married in a couple of weeks. :rolleyes: Of course if you watch this video about his upcoming wedding, you may feel even more childish about the shocker humor.

• Downvote 2

I'll help with you childish shocker humor...

No he's not celebrating his 30th birthday (he turned 23 in February), but he is getting married in a couple of weeks. :rolleyes: Of course if you watch this video about his upcoming wedding, you may feel even more childish about the shocker humor.

Nope, but I'm guessing you feel holier-than-thou after throwing down the religious force field? :rolleyes:

What I did take from that video is that Case is looking a little out of shape. But, then again, most middle aged married men do have a few extra pounds.

• Upvote 1

A fan asked how many credits he had earned towards his degree.

Assuming this is a legitimate question and not another shot about his age, he graduated in December making the CUSA Commissioner's Honor Roll, meaning his GPA was >3.0 but <3.75 (if above 3.75, he would have received the Commissioner's Academic Medal).

He enrolled in grad school in the spring.

BTW: For all those making fun of his age, there are several players on UNT's roster that were born in the same year as Keenum, ranging from 3 to 8 months younger. Are they middle aged too?

Assuming this is a legitimate question and not another shot about his age, he graduated in December making the CUSA Commissioner's Honor Roll, meaning his GPA was >3.0 but <3.75 (if above 3.75, he would have received the Commissioner's Academic Medal).

He enrolled in grad school in the spring.

BTW: For all those making fun of his age, there are several players on UNT's roster that were born in the same year as Keenum, ranging from 3 to 8 months younger. Are they middle aged too?

You just don't get it do you

• Upvote 1

he graduated in December

December of 2006?

Yes, but while Case was collecting 8 addittional hardship years from the NCAA, our middle aged player was off in a foreign country fighting a war to keep YOU safe from terrorist (que patriotic music). I think he will introduce himself to Case on September 10. Should make for an interesting meeting.

• Upvote 2

December of 2006?

Yes, but while Case was collecting 8 addittional hardship years from the NCAA, our middle aged player was off in a foreign country fighting a war to keep YOU safe from terrorist (que patriotic music). I think he will introduce himself to Case on September 10. Should make for an interesting meeting.

Wow! You had at least 3 guys fighting overseas? I have my doubts. Not going through the whole roster, I saw multiple players born in 1988.

The guy is frickin' 23 years old. He was 22 when he graduated. What age were you when you graduated?

He got 1 extra year because he was injured multiple years. He's not the first guy to do it. He won't be the last. Get over it. It wouldn't really matter if Case played. David Piland or even Cotton Turner could put up 400 yards passing on UNT's defense unless they decide to let the RBs run crazy. Piland as a true freshman averaged 330 YPG last year with 2 games of over 400 yards. If he'd played enough games, that YPG average would have been good enough for 3rd in the nation.

I've seen great debate on the origins of the Cougar Paw hand sign.

Some people say that the fingers form a "U" and an "H". Personally I think that's lame and a stretch to see, but it may be true. It seems odd to call it the Cougar Paw though if it is supposed to be a UH.

The other two origins are related to UT.

The official story is related to an injury to one of our early live cougar Shasta mascots. From the UH website:

"In Texas, all of the major universities have adopted a hand sign which signifies to all other Texans where your loyalties lie. The Cougar Hand Sign is no different. Although the original hand sign was the "V" for Victory until 1965, events conspired and a new hand sign was adopted. The inaugural football game between University of Houston and University of Texas during the 1953 campaign witnessed the birth of a blood rivalry between the state's two largest universities at that time. However, it also led to the adoption of another Cougar Hand Sign. During her transport from Houston to Austin, one of the fingers on Shasta's paw was severed when the cage door was closed. As the University of Texas partisans and players caught wind of the accident, they mimicked the animal by bending their thumb over the ring finger against their palm. This gesture implied that the Cougars were invalids. The Cougars would go on to lose the game 28-7.

The cougar faithful, still mindful of the stinging defeat suffered 15 years earlier, never forgot the taunting that they received. The next time the two teams faced off (1968... a whole 15 years later), UH tied UT 20-20. At that point, the students thought there might be a bit of magic in that sign, and the hand sign was adopted replacing the "V".

In 1976, the Cougars first football season in the Southwest Conference, the Coogs & Horns met for the third time ever. The Coogs put a beating on the Longhorns that they have yet to forget 30-0 (a.k.a.the "Dad's Day Massacre") in front of the largest crowd to assemble in Memorial Stadium at that time. That victory ended the Longhorns famed winning streak, and the embarrassment also signaled the end of legendary UT Coach Darryl K. Royal's career. After that victory, the Cougar Hand Sign became firmly entrenched. "

That's a great story, but we have a lot of old timers that dispute the timeline and history of that explanation.

The final theory is that it is the Hook 'em Horns sign with the middle finger added. Kind of flipping the bird at UT. That's a funny theory although when I was in school, I saw plenty of UH fans flash the horns then flip that middle finger up. Doubtful if that's the real origin though.Here's Case Keenum flashing the paw.

600xPopupGallery.jpg

Here's UH AD Mack Rhoades and UH President Renu Khator throwing up the paw

720733.jpg

According to a very reliable source (a friend who was a UH student circa 1979), the middle finger to the 'Horns is the exact origin of the hand sign. Like he told me "it's this (middle finger extended), to this (hook 'em sign).

Wow! You had at least 3 guys fighting overseas? I have my doubts. Not going through the whole roster, I saw multiple players born in 1988.

The guy is frickin' 23 years old. He was 22 when he graduated. What age were you when you graduated?

He got 1 extra year because he was injured multiple years. He's not the first guy to do it. He won't be the last. Get over it. It wouldn't really matter if Case played. David Piland or even Cotton Turner could put up 400 yards passing on UNT's defense unless they decide to let the RBs run crazy. Piland as a true freshman averaged 330 YPG last year with 2 games of over 400 yards. If he'd played enough games, that YPG average would have been good enough for 3rd in the nation.

400 Yds? Well let's see.... that is:

230 more yards than Clemson threw on us last year

330 yards more than Kansas State threw on us last year

137 yards more than Bama threw in 2009

200 more yards than LSU threw in 2008

So Piland can throw 441 yards against Texas Tech but only score 20 points and still lose the game?

He can also partake in a shootout with Southern Miss wherein the score was 59-41 Southern Miss. So both of your examples were games you lost? I mean really....is Tech's defense "that good" that you run up 585 yards against them and still only score 20 points and lose?

So last year you beat the two worst teams in the CUSA....a Southland Conference Team (with a failing HC)...a win over a highly overrated SMU....and a respectable win against UTEP (at home).

You better come to the table with more than useless stats if you want me to tremble while mentioning the Cougars. The fact is that we played way better teams last year and held our own.