Unt Turf

In addition to room for the players and equipment there must be some space for sight lines. I remember sitting on row 2, 50 yard line at LSU and could only see the backs of the players and what I could glean from the video board. The reason?...I was too close to field and too low.

I'm pretty sure that HKS knows what they are doing.

Link to sideline pic

Mean Green Matt, how much closer do you think they could've made it?? A couple of feet? There are a ton of players, coaches, trainers, and equipment on the sidelines of a game.

I do not know the actual distances, but from the looks of it they could have moved it up in between 5-10 yeards to that yellow line behind the bench. I think this is coming across as complaining, but I'm just pointing out an observation.

Look at this picture of Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater. They seem to have their sideline seats about where the back white line is in the Mean Green Stadium sideline picture. The sideline seats appear to start anywhere from 6-8 feet high.

4-bps.jpg

• Downvote 1

I do not know the actual distances, but from the looks of it they could have moved it up in between 5-10 yeards to that yellow line behind the bench. I think this is coming across as complaining, but I'm just pointing out an observation.

Look at this picture of Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater. They seem to have their sideline seats about where the back white line is in the Mean Green Stadium sideline picture. The sideline seats appear to start anywhere from 6-8 feet high.

That's too close in my opinion. You're begging for a confrontation between fans and players.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4-bps.jpg

Good find, Matt. And I'm sure ESPN can get their cameras in there.

Yes, I am sure HKS knows what they were doing. And it's too late now for design suggestions/complaints. That's going to be the distance from the stands to the field from now to doomsday, unless the NCAA goes to Canadian Football rules.

But a little closer would have been nice, if possible.

Are they planning on putting a track around the new field? There is a lot of space between the field and the stands....a lot more than I was expecting.

When I took my stadium tour this winter the sight lines from the Club Level and the Upper Bowl looked tremendous and I felt like I was right on top of the field. If anything the view from the Lower Bowl seats looked to be almost too close to the field.

• Downvote 1

Good find, Matt. And I'm sure ESPN can get their cameras in there.

Yes, I am sure HKS knows what they were doing. And it's too late now for design suggestions/complaints. That's going to be the distance from the stands to the field from now to doomsday, unless the NCAA goes to Canadian Football rules.

But a little closer would have been nice, if possible.

There is no way that a sideline camara is on the sideline at OSU. It would running over players. Notice next year when you watch a game at OSU on TV you will hardly ever get a camara down the line of scrimmage because the only have fixed camaras on the side due to the lack of room.

• Upvote 2

On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seed that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.

-General Douglas MacArthur

NT Translation-We have sown the seeds on the friendly fields of the DD Practice Facility and Fouts and now on another field we will bear the fruits of VICTORY!

Looks like the truth behind the rumors isn't sew. It appears that the numbers are being painted in, not sewn. http://oxblue.com/pro/open/unt/stadium?DB_OEM_ID=1800

they aren't painted in, because if you look at most of the camera shots from yesterday (May 31st) they show a bunch of the zero's in the endzone... plus the numbers are totally out of alignment from where they are now...

they aren't painted in, because if you look at most of the camera shots from yesterday (May 31st) they show a bunch of the zero's in the endzone... plus the numbers are totally out of alignment from where they are now...

I think those were just place holders so they could see what it would look like. Look at the shots from this morning and you'll see them painting with stencils.

The numbers are sewn into the field. The stencils you saw this morning are the pattern for cutting the green turf. They then use the same stencil for cutting out the white turf, then sew the white turf into the cut-out in the green turf. This same process will be used for the SOW logo at mid-field.

• Upvote 3

The numbers are sewn into the field. The stencils you saw this morning are the pattern for cutting the green turf. They then use the same stencil for cutting out the white turf, then sew the white turf into the cut-out in the green turf. This same process will be used for the SOW logo at mid-field.

Ah. My bad. I thought that looked like paint around the inside of the stencils. Sew much for what I know.