Andrew Smith Scholarship Fundraiser

Eagle1855

So as a few of you know, and most of you don't, I'm a musician of the singer-songwriter variety. I released my very first album on January 18th, which is titled "Old Denton Roads", a nod to some of the best times of my life and the source of several songs on the album. The songs are alt-country, country, and kind-of-not country. So if you like any of that, you might like it. (If you don't like it, don't tell me... I have a fragile ego)

OMG how is this football-related?

Okay, chill; I'm getting to that. As I was saying, I loved Denton and my time at UNT. So naturally, when I finished the album I wanted to think of a way to give back. Since I spend a good amount of my internet free-time on this fabulous resource we know as GMG, I figured this would be a solid way to realize that ambition.

Andrew Smith was QB during my last years at UNT. It was a profound loss by the entire Mean Green community, as well as many families, friends, and his home town.

I'd love to donate to this worthy cause, but I'm a cliche, broke, wandering musician. What I can do is donate my craft. I'll donate EVERY cent I make from downloads from CD Baby for the rest of this month. CD Baby offers me a rate of 70 cents on each dollar sold through their website- the highest of the online retailers. It also has the quickest turnaround for payment. So downloading an album ($10) results in a $7 donation to the Andrew Smith Memorial Fund.

To download go to http://www.cdbaby.co...rantleecroucher

I'll provide complete transparency to the board throughout the process. The sale will commence today and run through April 30.

Thanks for your time, support of local independent music, UNT Athletics, and GMG!

-Brant '03

guys I encourage everyone to check out Brant's work... he is very talented and a big Mean Green supporter. It's good music and you will enjoy listening to it. I am buying this and I encourage everyone else to support him as well as it will benefit Andrew's scholarship!! GMG!

Very generous...I encourage anyone who downloads music to take Brant up on his offer. This is a very generous offer and one that truly gives back of both ones talent and treasure to UNT. I hope you will keep us posted on how this is going.

Folks, this is a creative way to help, and it seems to be a real win-win. You get some great music by a UNT Alum AND you get to support the Andrew Smith Scholarship Fund as well...thanks so much. Just great.

• Upvote 1

How about for those of us who don't download music? Any way to buy a CD? I know, I know...dark ages stuff, but, hey, I'd like to help with a purchase. I just don't download music. Cave man, I get it...but......

Wow! I wasn't expecting that to be that polished. Amazing sound, reminds me a little of Jakob Dylan. Stupid question - is this on itunes? :goodjob:

Maybe we should pin this?

Edit - I did find the album on itunes, but I'm guessing you want us to download this specifically through this other site?

Edited by Stan R

Wow! I wasn't expecting that to be that polished. Amazing sound, reminds me a little of Jakob Dylan. Stupid question - is this on itunes? :goodjob:

Maybe we should pin this?

Edit - I did find the album on itunes, but I'm guessing you want us to download this specifically through this other site?

First of all, thank you for the kind words! And I mean that very sincerely, to everyone.

CD Baby would be the best medium for download (and the only one I can effectively track for this fundraiser). CD Baby provides the most return (takes the smallest percentage of sales, thus maximizing fundraisrer $) and it makes the $ accessible instantly, whereas iTunes takes over 6 weeks to report at the END of each month.

So far we've managed to raise $30. Thanks for everyone who has already purchased it.

How about for those of us who don't download music? Any way to buy a CD? I know, I know...dark ages stuff, but, hey, I'd like to help with a purchase. I just don't download music. Cave man, I get it...but......

Send me a PM with how many you want and your email address. I'll direct you to a pay pal invoice and mail you copies. Thanks so much!

• 4 weeks later...

Alright folks, entering the last couple days. Thanks so much for everyone that has supported this effort!

We've raised $50 so far.

If you haven't gotten a chance to download it, you can still go to CD Baby and do so. To sweeten the deal, I'll match 100% of money raised from any album downloaded this weekend.

All the best,

Brant

Final numbers for April and May:

Sold 5 CD's online @ $7.45 = $37.25

Personally matched one of those sold over Memorial Day 100% = $7.45

Sold 3 Physical copies @ $10 = $30

Personally matched one of those sold over Memorial Day 100% = $10

----------------------------------------------------

Total Raised : $84.70

I'll send Harry the detailed figures. Thanks for everyone who participated, that leaves us just $15.30 shy of the $500 goal.

Eagle1855...GREAT JOB! That is a fantastic amount and I really appreciate your doing this for the scholarship fund. very creative way to raise funds and a real "win-win" in my book. Raising $84.70 indeed does put us very close to our on-line goal of $500 for the scholarship fund.

My thanks also to all who supported this unique idea by buying the downloads and/or CD's. Without your support this would not have been as successful as it has been.

Really fun...everyone wins...the Andrew Smith Scholarship Fund increases, and several folks get some great music from a UNT grad! How could it get any better? Thanks to all...

Now...could someone go ahead and add the remaining amount to the on-line donations site to get us over the top for our on-line goal? PLEASE...PLEASE....thanks to all and GO MEAN GREEN!

Just a great idea, Eagle 1855...well done, Sir!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1