View On Aston From Charlotte

4ever niner

Firstly, congratulations Mean Green on your hire of Karen Aston. What you are getting is a coach both difficult and easy to understand. She will demand total dedication from her players, both on the court and in the classroom. If they miss class, they will be suspended. If they don't write a paper on time, they will be suspended. If they disrespect the coaches, they will be suspended. If they don't hustle and play attention in practice, they will be embarrassed in front of their peers. Do not be surprised if some of them can't take all that and decide to transfer. What they get in return for their dedication is a chance to learn basketball and life from someone who has quite an understanding of both. How many people in this world would win 27 games, be in position to contend the following year for a league championship, and give that all up to take on a major rebuild just from a sense of responsibility to family? Not too many. I think. So, welcome her, embrace her, and support her and your team. Some of us here in Charlotte surely wish we still had that opportunity.

So basically we got a 180 ?

Thanks for the post & good luck to the 49ers

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Firstly, congratulations Mean Green on your hire of Karen Aston. What you are getting is a coach both difficult and easy to understand. She will demand total dedication from her players, both on the court and in the classroom. If they miss class, they will be suspended. If they don't write a paper on time, they will be suspended. If they disrespect the coaches, they will be suspended. If they don't hustle and play attention in practice, they will be embarrassed in front of their peers. Do not be surprised if some of them can't take all that and decide to transfer. What they get in return for their dedication is a chance to learn basketball and life from someone who has quite an understanding of both. How many people in this world would win 27 games, be in position to contend the following year for a league championship, and give that all up to take on a major rebuild just from a sense of responsibility to family? Not too many. I think. So, welcome her, embrace her, and support her and your team. Some of us here in Charlotte surely wish we still had that opportunity.

Interesting, in that NT's prior coach led the world in suspentions that will be nothing new to this team.

• Downvote 1

Interesting, in that NT's prior coach led the world in suspentions that will be nothing new to this team.

Big difference between suspensions from anger (if that was the case) and suspensions used as a teaching tool. Young people know that difference at heart, even if they sometimes aren't willing to admit it. Karen's not stupid. She may take into account the team's history in her handling of them. She's also her player's best friend outside of practice. Could be ya'lls girls have been so screwed up as to be beyond repair, but a few recruiting classes will fix that. Be patient and you will be rewarded.
  • Upvote 2

Really appreciate the insight on her as a coach. As a followup, can she recruit and can she coach defense?

Really appreciate the insight. Can you help us understand her as a coach, can she recruit and can she coach defense?

I can tell you she likes an uptempo game. I have been watching her teams play for the past 4 yrs because Raquel has some old HS rivals & HS teammates on that team. Their defense has kept them in all their games.

Edited by literrific

Really appreciate the insight on her as a coach. As a followup, can she recruit and can she coach defense?

As to "can she recruit".....we have two numbers retired for women's basketball (Jalie Mitchell, Rosalyn Reades). Both of those players were recruited by Aston when she was on Tina's staff.

• Upvote 3

If Aston is the one, I wonder if Angela Ortega will come back to NT, too. I think she is currently on the UNCC staff.

Unless offered a head coaching job somewhere, I'd say yes. She has spent 15 years here, is from Tyler, and I believe was Aston's first hire when she became head coach. She is on the Charlotte staff.

She is also reputed to be an excellent recruiter, having been an integral part of the Mitchell/Reades signing.

She's coming to you. No longer listed among staff on our website and cancelled her 49er twitter page. Like Karen, her heart never left Texas.

Texas women do not like to leave the state.

I should know, I have been trying to move one to Florida for about 13 years already with no sign I will ever succeed.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 2

Texas woman do not like to leave the state.

I should know, I have been trying to move one to Florida for about 13 years already with no sign I will ever succeed.

You know I love you, but please don't make me choose between you and Texas. I can love you both, I think. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 3

Big difference between suspensions from anger (if that was the case) and suspensions used as a teaching tool. Young people know that difference at heart, even if they sometimes aren't willing to admit it. Karen's not stupid. She may take into account the team's history in her handling of them. She's also her player's best friend outside of practice. Could be ya'lls girls have been so screwed up as to be beyond repair, but a few recruiting classes will fix that. Be patient and you will be rewarded.

Thanks for your input, I really was not making light of your post. It is just that NT's previous coach had a real issue dealing with her players and almost of them were suspended one time or another, many multiple times. Although I am sure Stephens also had great intentions; I think her use of suspensions was necessitated by her inexperience as a head coach and her failure to really relate to her players. I don't expect Aston will have those kind of issues.

Edited by GrandGreen

Texas women do not like to leave the state.

You know I love you, but please don't make me choose between you and Texas. I can love you both, I think. :thumbsu:

I'm enjoying this... :P

Male announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

Female announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

Male announcer: [later] The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone.

Female announcer: No, the white zone is for loading of passengers and there is no stopping in a RED zone.

Male announcer: The red zone has always been for loading and unloading of passengers. There's never stopping in a white zone.

Female announcer: Don't you tell me which zone is for loading, and which zone is for stopping!

• Upvote 2

Here are a couple of facts on UNCC(as my feable memory serves me). They first started with no nickname or school fight song. The school is located on I-49, which is why they are called the Forty-niners. Their secondary nickname is Mean Green...seems that there was a good NT influence on their faculty. In fact, in the beginning they had the same fight song as us..not sure if they still do.

• Upvote 1