No Rest Maybe A Good Thing?

Am i the only one who thinks little rest going into the tourny, even with a beat up team, is better then taking a week off. I always hate when teams have a week off then have to play 4 games in 4 days or 3 in 3. I was nervous last year when we did it and i think we had rust when we almost lost to ULM in the tourny. I think its better to face a team like FAU after they have had a week off while we have been playing games, maybe im just nuts, but to me even though this team is beat up its coming off of two wins and just having played on tuesday should be ready for saturday. Im ready for the Tourny! Go Mean Green!

Am i the only one who thinks little rest going into the tourny, even with a beat up team, is better then taking a week off. I always hate when teams have a week off then have to play 4 games in 4 days or 3 in 3. I was nervous last year when we did it and i think we had rust when we almost lost to ULM in the tourny. I think its better to face a team like FAU after they have had a week off while we have been playing games, maybe im just nuts, but to me even though this team is beat up its coming off of two wins and just having played on tuesday should be ready for saturday. Im ready for the Tourny! Go Mean Green!

We really did play flat in our first game against ULM last year in Hot Springs. I go back and forth on this. Little rest usually equals less game rust right out of the gate. The issue is in our short rotation through a majority of the season. I do worry about running out of gas part of the way through the tournament this year due to the heavy minutes logged by our key contributors to go along with nagging injuries that most of them are currenlty dealing with.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 1

Always enjoy reading the positive spin here on the basketball forum.

• Downvote 3

We really did play flat in our first game against ULM last year in Hot Springs. I go back and forth on this. Little rest usually equals less game rust right out of the gate. The issue is in our short rotation through a majority of the season. I do worry about running out of gas part of the way through the tournament this year due to the heavy minutes logged by our key contributors to go along with nagging injuries that most of them are currenlty dealing with.

I'm gonna need debauchery updates from you.

It might be good for the 1st round or two. But if we're fortunate to advance to the semis, it will start to be a major negative.

You have the right answer. I think it will be an advantage against Troy, and may offset some of the disadvantage of playing the second game in two days if NT advances. However, if NT wins those; it will be a tremendous obstacle in any following games.

For everyone worring about the guys minutes this year lets just look at the past couple of years.

2009-2010

Josh White-- 35.8

Tristan Thompson-- 30.3

George Odufawa-- 31.5

Shannon Shorter-- 23.7

2008-2009

Josh White-- 33.6

Tristan Thompson-- 22.4

George Odufawa-- 21.6

Dominque Johnson-- 30.3

2007-2008

Josh White-- 31.9

Tristan Thompson-- 16.5

Summary, they play a lot of minutes no matter what... Not worried

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For everyone worring about the guys minutes this year lets just look at the past couple of years.

2009-2010

Josh White-- 35.8

Tristan Thompson-- 30.3

George Odufawa-- 31.5

Shannon Shorter-- 23.7

2008-2009

Josh White-- 33.6

Tristan Thompson-- 22.4

George Odufawa-- 21.6

Dominque Johnson-- 30.3

2007-2008

Josh White-- 31.9

Tristan Thompson-- 16.5

The question was what do you think the minutes for the game will be? How many does Knox get etc... Will he start? HAHA

2009-2010

Josh White-- 35.8

Tristan Thompson-- 30.3

George Odufawa-- 31.5

Shannon Shorter-- 23.7

2008-2009

Josh White-- 33.6

Tristan Thompson-- 22.4

George Odufawa-- 21.6

Dominque Johnson-- 30.3

2007-2008

Josh White-- 31.9

Tristan Thompson-- 16.5

I'm not worried about their minutes per game exactly. I'm concerned that by the 3rd day of the tournament, they won't have the legs that other teams will. I have seen this by watching league tournaments for years...especially from teams that aren't high seeds, but make unexpectedly deep runs.

Here's my 20+ year observation.

Day 1 -- Fresh Legs

Day 2 -- Still fairly fresh legs, and may have slight advantage over teams with a bye because no rust

Day 3 -- Legs start to go, usually the exit is this round - because they're now facing teams with Day 2 legs

Day 4 -- Weary Legs, nearly all who make it this far lose from an empty tank.

When you have zero days off, the amount of minutes takes an exponential toll day to day. So a Day 4 playing a Day 3 is several times more tired than a Day 2 playing a Day 1.

Edited by CMJ

I'm not worried about their minutes per game exactly. I'm concerned that by the 3rd day of the tournament, they won't have the legs that other teams will. I have seen this by watching league tournaments for years...especially from teams that aren't high seeds, but make unexpectedly deep runs.

Day 1 -- Fresh Legs

Day 2 -- Still fairly fresh legs, and may have slight advantage over teams with a bye because no rust

Day 3 -- Legs start to go, usually the exit in this round - because they're now facing teams with Day 2 legs

When you have zero days off, the amount of minutes takes an exponential toll day to day. So a Day 4 playing a Day 3 is several times more tired than a Day 2 playing a Day 1.

We need to hope for other teams with first round games to continue advancing. It would not surprise me one bit if we ended up playing WKU if we get past Troy and FAU.

We need to hope for other teams with first round games to continue advancing. It would not surprise me one bit if we ended up playing WKU if we get past Troy and FAU.

That is my hope as well. A potential match up with WKU in the semifinals would be immensely preferable to a hot ULL team that was also much fresher. We'd be on a level field with the Toppers, and could maybe sneak into the finals even with deadened legs.

Of course then we'd likely face a fresher ASU with home court advantage.

That is my hope as well. A potential match up with WKU in the semifinals would be immensely preferable to a hot ULL team that was also much fresher. We'd be on a level field with the Toppers, and could maybe sneak into the finals even with deadened legs.

Of course then we'd likely face a fresher ASU with home court advantage.

I'm not convinced ASU is going to make it out of the bottom half of the bracket. For some reason my gut is telling me South Alabama will. Of course, I could be completely wrong. The tourney is such a crazy toss up this year.

Day 1 -- Fresh Legs

Day 3 -- Legs start to go, usually the exit is this round - because they're now facing teams with Day 2 legs

I can understand that but one thing that makes us a little different is age, experience, drive, and adrenaline.

They might of played bad ball in the second half but you know when they turn it on, they can play with the best of them. You have 5 Sr's playing their last college basketball tournament, they dont want to lose. Maybe Im just being optimistic but I see the boys turing it on in Hot Springs. I think the last two games put the confidence back where it was in the first half of the season.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I can understand that but one thing that makes us a little different is age, experience, drive, and adrenaline.

I would assume that most teams at the very least have drive and adrenaline. Maybe not the experience that our has, but I'm not sure experience matters on a 4th day of a league tournament when you're exhausted.

Look, I'm not saying we can't do this. I think we can beat anyone in this conference, and I'll probably go into every game with that frame of mind. But don't kid yourself, we are facing some long odds.