Updated Tony Mitchell To Unt Article And Nice Pix

Harry

It is difficult not to get excited about Mitchell enrolling, and I have been vocal about tempering our excitement until he takes care of business in the classroom, but I must say I like the fact that his high school coach is involved. I hope he provides the support system needed to keep him motivated towards becoming eligible.

So, what will Mitchell's classification be, or how many years will he have to play if he becomes academically eligible? Would he be considered a freshman and we could chalk up this year as a redshirt?

It is difficult not to get excited about Mitchell enrolling, and I have been vocal about tempering our excitement until he takes care of business in the classroom, but I must say I like the fact that his high school coach is involved. I hope he provides the support system needed to keep him motivated towards becoming eligible.

So, what will Mitchell's classification be, or how many years will he have to play if he becomes academically eligible? Would he be considered a freshman and we could chalk up this year as a redshirt?

100% agreed about his HS coaches involvement.

If I understand everything correctly, which I probably don't, he essentially had to use this yr as a qualifier, so he burns a yr of eligibility. He'll come in as a Sophomore with approximately 2.5 seasons of eligibility remaining.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Lifer, I'm sensing that you're not getting the magnitude of this pickup...

I doubt we will see Mr. Mitchell in a UNT uniform for longer than 2 years (NBA bound). No need to redshirt him, even if it were possible.

This mornings' Startlegram has a note in the sports section under "Mizzouri basketball" that Tony Mitchell, a highly ranked recruit for the Tigers, has been rulled academically ineligible.

Nothing more.

Rick

What a surprise...I think that the only reason that the DMN is even reporting anything is just because they have the DRC under the Belo umbrella. Otherwise, it would be the same there, too. Or it would read former Dallas HS star declared ineligible at Missouri.

For those who apparently HAVEN'T LISTENED...Mitchell would be eligible mid-December 2011 and would be considered a sophomore...though he would be able to regain his 4th year of eligibility, after what would've been called his senior year if he is on the proper academic track for graduation. He has a potential 3.5 years of eligibility at UNT should he chose to use it...though as MGT points out, this is the kind of caliber player who will be sought after high in the NBA draft perhaps after as little his half season here.

And Lifer...and others...I get your apprehensions. But let's say worst case scenario, Tony Mitchell never plays a minute at North Texas...just the publicity and national recognition this enrollment has brought will shed considerably more light on the successful program JJ is building here...as well the already talented in-coming 2011 class he's put together. Most of what we've been reading is talking of Mitchell "as the crowning jewel of an already impressive mid-major class"...not just from the likes of Vito, but Rivals and ESPN and CBS Sports. there are still as many as two open scholarships for next year...this will really turn the heads of those kids weighing UNT offers. Add to that, Mitchell is not under scholarship...I believe until the academic requirements are met. So if he never makes it here, it has no ill-effect what-so-ever on our APR.

This is win-win...potentially big WIN for UNT...with very little risk. Love it. Bask in it. It is very rare something of this magnitude goes down for UNT.

• Upvote 1

For those who apparently HAVEN'T LISTENED...Mitchell would be eligible mid-December 2011 and would be considered a sophomore...though he would be able to regain his 4th year of eligibility, after what would've been called his senior year if he is on the proper academic track for graduation. He has a potential 3.5 years of eligibility at UNT should he chose to use it...though as MGT points out, this is the kind of caliber player who will be sought after high in the NBA draft perhaps after as little his half season here.

And Lifer...and others...I get your apprehensions. But let's say worst case scenario, Tony Mitchell never plays a minute at North Texas...just the publicity and national recognition this enrollment has brought will shed considerably more light on the successful program JJ is building here...as well the already talented in-coming 2011 class he's put together. Most of what we've been reading is talking of Mitchell "as the crowning jewel of an already impressive mid-major class"...not just from the likes of Vito, but Rivals and ESPN and CBS Sports. there are still as many as two open scholarships for next year...this will really turn the heads of those kids weighing UNT offers. Add to that, Mitchell is not under scholarship...I believe until the academic requirements are met. So if he never makes it here, it has no ill-effect what-so-ever on our APR.

This is win-win...potentially big WIN for UNT...with very little risk. Love it. Bask in it. It is very rare something of this magnitude goes down for UNT.

I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking that even if he fails out our RPI situation is so good that one guy won't hurt us. If he doesn't even count until he gets eligible then we are golden!

Lifer, I'm sensing that you're not getting the magnitude of this pickup...

I doubt we will see Mr. Mitchell in a UNT uniform for longer than 2 years (NBA bound). No need to redshirt him, even if it were possible.

Oh no, I get the magnitude of Mitchell potentially playing for us. I hadn't thought about the point CBL made and am now assuming that he will be a freshman with roughly 3.5 years to play. I hope he qualifies and plays each of these years.

Oh no, I get the magnitude of Mitchell potentially playing for us. I hadn't thought about the point CBL made and am now assuming that he will be a freshman with roughly 3.5 years to play. I hope he qualifies and plays each of these years.

Me too, but I'll be glad with just 1.5 years. If he tears it up too much during the spring of 2012, then we may only have him for 1/2 year.

JJ has slowly been building the program. We're having a great year. Our incoming class is our best ever? I know I'm excited about the present state and future of UNT basketball. Maybe Tony Mitchell thinks that he could be part of something really special and make North Texas THE mid major program and make noise in the tourney. These kids not only dream of playing in the NBA, but they dream of playing in the tourney. JJ has shown he can get them there and is bringing in the talent to get them back. I think he is here through the 2012-2013 season. After that, all bets are off.

Add to that, Mitchell is not under scholarship...I believe until the academic requirements are met. So if he never makes it here, it has no ill-effect what-so-ever on our APR.

I know this is way down the line and pretty non-consequential, but if Mitchell does play for half a year, and then bolts to the NBA, how would that affect our APR?

A player bolting for the NBA from this program and it's APR effects have never, ever been an issue for this program before. Kinda nice.

I know this is way down the line and pretty non-consequential, but if Mitchell does play for half a year, and then bolts to the NBA, how would that affect our APR?

A player bolting for the NBA from this program and it's APR effects have never, ever been an issue for this program before. Kinda nice.

If his grades are in order, there's no negative impact whatsoever. Leaving for a professional opportunity doesn't hurt like leaving for another school, there's no retention penalty.

They designed the rule to accommodate the pro factories. It's the reason Calipari isn't constantly posting single digit APR scores.

Collegiate sports teams that fail to achieve an APR score of 925 - equivalent to a 50% graduation rate - may be penalized with the loss of scholarships. A perfect score is 1000. The scores are calculated as follows:

The APR is calculated by allocating points for eligibility and retention -- the two factors that research identifies as the best indicators of graduation. Each player on a given roster earns a maximum of two points per term, one for being academically eligible and one for staying with the institution. A team's APR is the total points of a team's roster at a given time divided by the total points possible. Since this results in a decimal number, the CAP decided to multiply it by 1,000 for ease of reference. Thus, a raw APR score of .925 translates into the 925 that will become the standard terminology

I believe if he were to leave in good standing, we get minus 1 point reduced in our overall APR score. If he leaves not in good standing we get 2 points deducted from our overall APR score.

Rick

• Upvote 1

( 5-Robinson, 4-Mitchell, 3-Williams, 2-Jones and 1-Norris ) with guys like Knox, Walton coming off the bench

....that lineup would be sick!!! we would have great a great low post game to open things up for Jordan Williams and our other great scoring threats Jones and Walton who are both averaging 15 ppg.

Question? I thought Tristian Thompson and Kedrick Hogans were seniors? will they be back next year?

( 5-Robinson, 4-Mitchell, 3-Williams, 2-Jones and 1-Norris ) with guys like Knox, Walton coming off the bench

....that lineup would be sick!!! we would have great a great low post game to open things up for Jordan Williams and our other great scoring threats Jones and Walton who are both averaging 15 ppg.

Question? I thought Tristian Thompson and Kedrick Hogans were seniors? will they be back next year?

Tristan is a senior and he is done after this season. Kedrick has another year of eligibilty left after sitting out last year when he hurt his shoulder.

I believe if he were to leave in good standing, we get minus 1 point reduced in our overall APR score. If he leaves not in good standing we get 2 points deducted from our overall APR score.

Rick

Per NCAA website:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Academics%20and%20Athletes/Education%20and%20Research/Academic%20Reform/General%20Information/defining_academic_reform.html

0-for-2. Under the APR calculation, an "0-for-2" student-athlete is one who is neither academically eligible nor remains with the institution. An 0-for-2 player might be one who transfers, leaves the institution for personal reasons or leaves to turn pro and would not have been academically eligible had he or she returned. Obviously, these are the types of situations the academic-reform structure is most meant to address, since they are the most damaging to a team's APR. While teams cannot always control the reasons student-athletes leave, the immediate (or contemporaneous) penalty holds them accountable for at least making sure student-athletes are academically eligible during their college tenures.

Rick

• Upvote 1