Another Qb Prospect - No Offers Yet

gangrene

Stevie Dorman- pro-style QB, 6'4", 215 lbs, 4.8 40, Somerset HS, TX - interested in UNLV, BYU and North Texas

ESPN/Scouts Inc rating - 2 stars/72

No reported offers

Played for Division 3-A, Somerset, and led to them a 10-3 record and third round of the state playoffs. Passed for 2,633 with 31 TDs and 8 INTs and rushed for an additional 5 TDs and 143 yards (I think he got about half of those on the second highlight in the video below). His career HS passing total of 8,619 yards surpassed his more famous uncles - former NFL quarterbacks Ty and Koy Detmer - Ty Detmer had 8,006 yards at Southwest High, while Koy Detmer threw for 8,221 at Mission High.

Interesting footnote, his top WR, Jacob Hillyer (#18 in the video below) just committed to Iowa on 12/19.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4308519

Not ranked by Scout but has his strengths and weaknesses listed. Schools of interest (this profile is dated): Wake, Texas

I am sure he is proud of the ad that got attached to his profile.

GMG

those ads cycle based on your IP....what you have typed in before and time of day :)

I don't see us signing any more now that Osborn and Jones are on board. Maybe one other HS player, but I would be surprised.

It's true we definitely have needs at other positions, but with our current QB situation and lack of experience and depth at the position, I wouldn't be surprised if we sign another one, or even two QBs. Of course, it will be largely dependent on the quality of the prospect. I'd love to get Stevie Weatherford, but Dorman and McNulty are also intriguing. At least one of the HS kids would be redshirted.

I wouldn't count on Tune getting a medical redshirt. Thompson has started all of one game at QB and, while Baine filled in admirably last year, I'm not convinced he's a full-time starter. Teegarden wasn't even recruited to play QB. I think if we learned anything from last year, it's that we should have three QBs that are legitimately capable of starting at any given time.

First of all, he isn't all that fast, but at least fast enough to outrun high school linebackers and a safety or two. But he got it done and was big enough to shake off some tackles.

Second of all, sign him! He will so used to getting pumped up tp ACDC that we can't lose with this kid!!!

I think that's an understatement. Unlike McNulty, his label of pro-style QB seems to be right on target. Fortunately, he appears to have a quick release and a cannon for an arm.

It's true we definitely have needs at other positions, but with our current QB situation and lack of experience and depth at the position, I wouldn't be surprised if we sign another one, or even two QBs. Of course, it will be largely dependent on the quality of the prospect. I'd love to get Stevie Weatherford, but Dorman and McNulty are also intriguing. At least one of the HS kids would be redshirted.

I wouldn't count on Tune getting a medical redshirt. Thompson has started all of one game at QB and, while Baine filled in admirably last year, I'm not convinced he's a full-time starter. Teegarden wasn't even recruited to play QB. I think if we learned anything from last year, it's that we should have three QBs that are legitimately capable of starting at any given time.

Not counting on Tune receiving a 6th year, here is my depth chart:

Thompson

Osborn

Jones

Baine

Dodson

In the above scenario, I would like to see one more QB signed and prefer Minden, Dorman or Weatherford.

We should be good should Tune return.

Thompson

Osborn

Jones

Baine

Dodson

In the above scenario, I would like to see one more QB signed and prefer Minden, Dorman or Weatherford.

I really don't think we'll get Weatherford. He's holding tight for an offer from Miami. He is taking a visit to Western Kentucky, though.

McNulty is taking a visit to UNT this weekend (see Troy Phillips' new article), so if we sign a 4th QB, I imagine he's the one.

Thompson

Osborn

Jones

Baine

Dodson

I agree with that.

Don't forget QB's are usually the best combination of intelligence and skill on high school teams and can end up at other positions (ie; Camper, Kassell, Carey, Hamilton, etc.). It may make sense to get several high school QB's and let them compete for QB and then convert some to other positions.

I agree with this too, as long as it's an athletic "dual-threat" QB. I don't see a kid like Dorman having enough speed to play WR or DB, TE maybe.

I really don't think we'll get Weatherford. He's holding tight for an offer from Miami. He is taking a visit to Western Kentucky, though.

McNulty is taking a visit to UNT this weekend (see Troy Phillips' new article), so if we sign a 4th QB, I imagine he's the one.

Rivals has the offer from us to McNulty posted. He would be a great great addition.

I'm not disagreeing with you--I just don't know much about him--but what makes you say that?

because while listed as a Pro-Style (which Rivals has not updated) his stats last yr were 1,091 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns to go with 1,210 yards passing and 11 more TDs. He only has been intercepted four times. This was before the playoffs. He is listed at 6'2 190 pds....but we know that he could maybe gain another inch and 20 lbs of muscle once he gets to college.

My link

because while listed as a Pro-Style (which Rivals has not updated) his stats last yr were 1,091 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns to go with 1,210 yards passing and 11 more TDs. He only has been intercepted four times. This was before the playoffs. He is listed at 6'2 190 pds....but we know that he could maybe gain another inch and 20 lbs of muscle once he gets to college.

My link

Thanks for stats and the link. Just out of curiosity, I compared him with his predecessor at Iowa City High, A.J. Derby, who is practically deified in that article. He was the #1 recruit in the state of Iowa last year. Derby threw for 1796 yards, 23 TDs, and 8 interceptions his senior year at Iowa City High. He rushed for 778 yards and 15 TDs. He sounds more like a pure QB than McNulty, yet it sounds like there's a good chance he will be changing positions at Iowa. That makes me think McNulty may be more of an "athlete" who can play QB. I guess if we're going to be signing 4 QBs in one class, we want some of them to have the ability to play other positions. But I do like that "4 ints" stat you mentioned very much.