Full Story On Riley Transferring

Brett Vito

I don't agree with the tenor that any of those used and I don't know three of the posters but DallasGreen is one of our very staunchest supporters and he "tells it like (he thinks) it is" whether in person or on this board. It doesn't mean that I agree with him (in this case I don't) but in his case he has certainly earned the right to his opinion. He is one of our larger donors and attends almost every function.

I think the inference here is the tone used. I agree folks have an opinion, but not like Riley has been slammed most especially by DG. His posts concerning Knox have been off base as well. Being a donor and attending functions does not buy him the right to run an athlete down in the manner which he has. I donate and attend functions as well, but I have not seen this as one of the benefits.

• Upvote 2

Cannot blame Riley for leaving. He did play exceptionally well the last five games this season compared to his previous stints at QB especially taking into consideration the mixed feelings he certainly felt about his dad losing his job but still having pride for himself and not wanting to let his teammates down. He did all that he could do and we need to be thankful for that. However, going forward i think this is the best move for him and UNT. I know how thin we are at the QB position but i know how competitive Derek Thompson is and im sure Brent Osburn is and they will raise the level of play at the QB position and there is no way we will see the same kind of injury bug hit at this position this coming season. We are heading in the right direction!

Honestly, after reading this article, I think Riley is pretty media savvy. I think he honestly wanted to stay due to his relationship with his teammates, but just needed to leave due to the firing of his dad. Can't really blame him and I thank him for his time here and the effort he put forth.

Any updates on Tune's attempt to gain a sixth year? Noticed your screen name and thought you might have some insight.

Being a donor and attending functions does not buy him the right to run an athlete down in the manner which he has.

+1...I too am a donor and attend functions but it certainly does not give me any right to voice my opinion that way. For DG to publicly call Riley a "spoiled brat" is very out of line and not accurate. I have talked to Riley a number of times and I found him to be polite, well mannered and certainly not a "spoiled brat".

• Upvote 3

A spoiled brat quitter who was never going to be a D-1 QB. Injury prone, weak arm, not too savvy at play execution---the Dodge era--a total failure for UNT

Damn, we must have been watching a different Riley Dodge. I saw a player who gave his all to the program and was far from a spoiled brat, who if anything was very football savvy. Injury prone, yes but that only enhances my opinion of a never say quit player. His arm was not a cannon but adequate despite the injuries. I do agree that Todd Dodge was a failure as head football coach as the record certainly collaborates. However, Riley was far from a failure as a player and in fact saved this season from being a complete disaster.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I didn't read that as a question. Some people seem to be so offended by one or two students who decided UNT wasn't the best place for them. Sure, they were given scholarships while they were here but they also played their tails off while under scholarship.

Football scholarships are year to year, so a school can elect to drop a player after each season. For this reason, I think it's wrong to dump all over an athlete who decides to switch schools. Vizza and Dodge did not promise UNT they'd graduate from the school. If they elect to go somewhere else, then fans ought to respect that.

Shaft, DallasGreen, Adub, MeanGreenBob wouldn't dare speak about or to someone the way they phrase their comments here. Sad, just sad.

If you're goal was to get me offsides consider it a success. But YOU are 'incredibly weak.' Not Riley.

damn eppy4life you need to get out more.... if you think that was trash talk then you need to come live where i live... and im not hiding in "anonymity", if anyone wants to know who i am, they can IM me....

peace out riley dodge, you werent that good anyways

Edited by Adub4ever
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

damn eppy4life you need to get out more.... if you think that was trash talk then you need to come live where i live... and im not hiding in "anonymity", if anyone wants to know who i am, they can IM me....

I could honestly care less who you are. You being able to make those comments to my face isn't being disputed. I'd like to see you tell that to 'the incredibly weak' Riley Dodge.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I cannot blame him for leaving. There are a lot of people who would not seperate him from his Dad. It really was a no win situation for him if he stayed or if he left. I would have liked to see him stay. I think he is a very respectful young man and a fighter on the field. I think had he gotten more positive feelings from more of the fan base he would have stayed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love getting info and good discussion from message boards but HATE that some people use their anonymity to act like fools. Shaft, DallasGreen, Adub, MeanGreenBob wouldn't dare speak about or to someone the way they phrase their comments here. Sad, just sad.

If you're goal was to get me offsides consider it a success. But YOU are 'incredibly weak.' Not Riley.

I agree with you 100 percent

• Downvote 1

Yea he was that good.

I cannot blame him for leaving. There are a lot of people who would not seperate him from his Dad. It really was a no win situation for him if he stayed or if he left. I would have liked to see him stay. I think he is a very respectful young man and a fighter on the field. I think had he gotten more positive feelings from more of the fan base he would have stayed.

Agree. I wouldn't think it would be any fun for Riley to hang around and hear what a bad job his dad did here. Good luck in the future Riley! One of the toughest players ever to wear the green and white.

A spoiled brat quitter who was never going to be a D-1 QB. Injury prone, weak arm, not too savvy at play execution---the Dodge era--a total failure for UNT

Come on Jim....seriously?? Riley was one of the gutsyest guys I've seen step on the field at UNT in LONG time! He has my utmost respect and I wish him well. You have the right to your own opinions and comments but this is one you should have kept to yourself.

Come on Jim....seriously?? Riley was one of the gutsyest guys I've seen step on the field at UNT in LONG time! He has my utmost respect and I wish him well. You have the right to your own opinions and comments but this is one you should have kept to yourself.

May be that he was gutsy, but far from a team player he tried to be a one man show even after everyone knows his arm was gone. Pitiful performance at Army almost as if he had never run the offense. He was gutsy at FAU but it was Canales offensive scheme (brilliant I might add) Hamilton, and Dunbar who won that game not RD. If you saw the efficiency that Tune showed at Clemson you would have been convinced that with he and Thompson that Riley was a #3 or #4 receiver at best. Dodge didn't save this season Canales saved the season. The quote from RD early in his time at NT "We came here to turn this program around"---well "we" didn't do much but waste 4 years on a dismal failed experiment. If we had had Tune or Thompson at QB with Canales calling the shots after FAU we would have been in New Orleans even with one of the slowest, weakest defenses I have seen at NT. There is a reason that everyone everywhere knows Riley Dodge is not and never will be an FBS D-1 QB. He and his Dad should have come to that conclusion long ago to let us recruit another QB rather than all candidates knowing Riley had a lock with Daddy in charge. I'll say this to anyone's face. Feel free to PM me. And no Riley Dodge never saw the day that he was gutsier than Scott Hall and Scott even won games for us and called his own shots w/o having to look to the sidelines.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

I don't agree with the tenor that any of those used and I don't know three of the posters but DallasGreen is one of our very staunchest supporters and he "tells it like (he thinks) it is" whether in person or on this board. It doesn't mean that I agree with him (in this case I don't) but in his case he has certainly earned the right to his opinion. He is one of our larger donors and attends almost every function.

Thanks for the kind words Jack. I don't mind if others speak their opinion. You and George have disagreed with me on many things, but I still respect your arguments. Some of these naysayers on gmg.com need to put in the years, dollars, and service i.e. don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house. As I have said before if you've got something to say to me PM me. I would say what I said directly to anyone including RD.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

May be that he was gutsy, but far from a team player he tried to be a one man show even after everyone knows his arm was gone. Pitiful performance at Army almost as if he had never run the offense. He was gutsy at FAU but it was Canales offensive scheme (brilliant I might add) Hamilton, and Dunbar who won that game not RD. If you saw the efficiency that Tune showed at Clemson you would have been convinced that with he and Thompson that Riley was a #3 or #4 receiver at best. Dodge didn't save this season Canales saved the season. The quote from RD early in his time at NT "We came here to turn this program around"---well "we" didn't do much but waste 4 years on a dismal failed experiment. If we had had Tune or Thompson at QB with Canales calling the shots after FAU we would have been in New Orleans even with one of the slowest, weakest defenses I have seen at NT. There is a reason that everyone everywhere knows Riley Dodge is not and never will be an FBS D-1 QB. He and his Dad should have come to that conclusion long ago to let us recruit another QB rather than all candidates knowing Riley had a lock with Daddy in charge. I'll say this to anyone's face. Feel free to PM me. And no Riley Dodge never saw the day that he was gutsier than Scott Hall and Scott even won games for us and called his own shots w/o having to look to the sidelines.

Plus, didn't Scott Hall actually GRADUATE from UNT? (Rhetorical question)

Not gonna bash the kid, just say goodbye and lets move this thing forward with a QB over 5'9".

Concern about reputation points = caring about what a bunch of people think about you that don't even know you (for the most part).

Who really gives a crap? Obviously, far too many.

King DL1 and I play golf every other Saturday. Whoever is trailing has to carry both bags.

My back is very grateful for the reversal of fortune.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5