Hotel For Sun Belt Tourmanent

I called the Hot Springs Embassy Suites a few minutes ago fully expecting that they would be fully booked, but they still have some open suites.

The one I (actually my dad booked it I just did the research) booked was a two-room suite with two beds in the bedroom and a queen size pull out couch in a living area. It is $169/night.

The Embassy is LITERALLY right across the street from Summit Arena, and has a covered walkway that goes right up to the arena box office. When I called there were 24 still available.

I asked specifically if you had to work for the SBC or anything, and all they said was they had those rooms set aside for people that said they were coming for the basketball tournament.

If you are going to the tournament this would be a great place to stay...but make your reservation soon if you plan on going! There are not a lot of hotels within walking distance of the arena, but the Embassy is one of them.

Can't wait until March! Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

If anyone is planning on going with a group of at least 2 or 3 friends or family, let me know if you want help finding a rental house or condo.

Last year, we had 6 people in a 2 bedroom 2 bath house that was walking distance to the arena and bathhouse row, and it cost a little less than $95 per person total for all four nights.

This year, we've got 11-15 people in a 3 story, 5 bedroom/4.5 bathroom lake house, and it's going to come out to about $140-165 apiece total for all four nights. Theater room, boat slip, pool table... Should be nice.

If you travel with a group, it can be very reasonable if you shop around for a rental instead of a hotel. We've done hotels and house rentals, and it's a great time either way. With a hotel, you can check out early if things don't go well for us and you aren't interested in the rest of the event. With a house, it tends to run cheaper and you get the comfort and amenities of a full living space.

Whatever anyone does, I strongly encourage everyone to make the trip. Especially this year. :ph34r:?

• Upvote 1

Strongly considering getting involved in this. How fast do tickets/lodging go? Trying to gauge urgency.

As long as you buy your tickets in advance (don't buy as a walk-up every day) you shouldn't have to worry about it. Buying as a walk up could be a problem if UALR and ASU both made decent runs in the tournament, or if either has a strong regular season and looks like a strong contender.

Lodgings may be a problem. Hotels, especially walking distance hotels, do fill up early. The team hotels and the ones within a block or two of the arena book up quickly. As you've ready here, some are already telling people they're full up, 2 months in advance.

But if you're driving in, you can go with a hotel a little farther out. There's no charge for parking at the arena, so you won't be spending any money there. We did the hotel thing the first year at Hot Springs, and I think we stayed at a Knights Inn about 10 minutes from the arena and bathhouse row. Didn't reserve it until the week before.

• Upvote 1

I called the Hot Springs Embassy Suites a few minutes ago fully expecting that they would be fully booked, but they still have some open suites.

The one I (actually my dad booked it I just did the research) booked was a two-room suite with two beds in the bedroom and a queen size pull out couch in a living area. It is $169/night.

The Embassy is LITERALLY right across the street from Summit Arena, and has a covered walkway that goes right up to the arena box office. When I called there were 24 still available.

I asked specifically if you had to work for the SBC or anything, and all they said was they had those rooms set aside for people that said they were coming for the basketball tournament.

If you are going to the tournament this would be a great place to stay...but make your reservation soon if you plan on going! There are not a lot of hotels within walking distance of the arena, but the Embassy is one of them.

Can't wait until March! Go Mean Green!

Where is the team staying this year, we satyed at the austin last year and had a great time with the pep band, cheerleaders and dancers

Where is the team staying this year, we satyed at the austin last year and had a great time with the pep band, cheerleaders and dancers

I'm not sure where the team is staying. My best guess would be the Austin though. Both the Austin and the embassy will be full of teams/bands/fans for those days, so it should be really fun.

P.S. If you are one of the guys that rode up on the bus last year then stayed the night at the austin, I think I may know you... :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure the top seeds stay at the Embassy Suites and the 2 and 3's stay at the Austin. The Austin was pretty skanky last year but the spirit groups rocked that place. We probably won't have as much freedom if we stay at the Embassy but it is always a good time when the band and cheerleaders get together

I'm not sure where the team is staying. My best guess would be the Austin though. Both the Austin and the embassy will be full of teams/bands/fans for those days, so it should be really fun.

P.S. If you are one of the guys that rode up on the bus last year then stayed the night at the austin, I think I may know you... :ph34r:

That would be me

If anyone is planning on going with a group of at least 2 or 3 friends or family, let me know if you want help finding a rental house or condo.

Last year, we had 6 people in a 2 bedroom 2 bath house that was walking distance to the arena and bathhouse row, and it cost a little less than $95 per person total for all four nights.

This year, we've got 11-15 people in a 3 story, 5 bedroom/4.5 bathroom lake house, and it's going to come out to about $140-165 apiece total for all four nights. Theater room, boat slip, pool table... Should be nice.

If you travel with a group, it can be very reasonable if you shop around for a rental instead of a hotel. We've done hotels and house rentals, and it's a great time either way. With a hotel, you can check out early if things don't go well for us and you aren't interested in the rest of the event. With a house, it tends to run cheaper and you get the comfort and amenities of a full living space.

Whatever anyone does, I strongly encourage everyone to make the trip. Especially this year. :ph34r:?

and how the crap do I get in on that?

Nah

Thought about it and would rather save the dough and the paid time off work for the NCAA tourney. Just hope its somewhere close like Oklahoma City again, or maybe Austin or Houston.

Closest first round site this year will be in Tulsa. We could play in San Antonio in the Sweet 16 or in Houston for the Final Four, but before we start thinkin about that, we have to win in Hot Springs. Which is why you should spend your money there.

2011 NCAA Tournament first round sites:

March 17/19

Verizon Center, Washington, D.C. (Host: Georgetown University)

McKale Center, Tucson, Arizona (Host: University of Arizona)

Pepsi Center, Denver, Colorado (Host: Mountain West Conference)

St. Pete Times Forum, Tampa, Florida (Host: University of South Florida)

March 18/20

Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, Ohio (Host: Cleveland State University)

Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte, North Carolina (Host: University of North Carolina at Charlotte)

United Center, Chicago, Illinois (Host: Big Ten Conference)

BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma (Host: University of Tulsa)

Nah

Thought about it and would rather save the dough and the paid time off work for the NCAA tourney. Just hope its somewhere close like Oklahoma City again, or maybe Austin or Houston.

It won't be.

The only early round site anywhere close to Texas is Tulsa. The other games are in D.C., Tucson, Denver, Tampa, Cleveland, Charlotte, and Chicago.

Looking at what seeds Tulsa hosts, I don't think we'll end up there.

And besides... A session ticket for the Tulsa games is $237. A full Sun Belt tournament ticket book costs $90 through North Texas, and four days of accommodations plus tickets will come out to a total of around $230-250, total. For a 4 day trip where every day is like a bowl game, and only two of those days are typical work days.

Plus, as great as it was to see us play the tournament game in person... NCAA days are a lot better on TV when you can see all the games and upsets. If I absolutely had to choose between Hot Springs or NCAA tournament, having experienced both... I'd take Hot Springs and watch the NCAAs on TV.

• Upvote 2

Can't be as bad as the Travelodge. DO NOT STAY AT TRAVELODGE. Have I mentioned how BAD the Travelodge is?

The Travelodge can't hurt you again this year. It's going to be better for you this year. 10 deep breaths, go to your happy place, and try not to think of the Bad Hotel again.

• Upvote 1

It won't be.

The only early round site anywhere close to Texas is Tulsa. The other games are in D.C., Tucson, Denver, Tampa, Cleveland, Charlotte, and Chicago.

Looking at what seeds Tulsa hosts, I don't think we'll end up there.

Tulsa is definite, Tucson and Denver are possibilities.

And besides... A session ticket for the Tulsa games is $237. A full Sun Belt tournament ticket book costs $90 through North Texas, and four days of accommodations plus tickets will come out to a total of around $230-250, total. For a 4 day trip where every day is like a bowl game, and only two of those days are typical work days.

Fair enough, but its still the NCAA tournament. It was cheaper for me to go to LA for the Western Conference final (FC Dallas), but I chose to stay home and hoped we made it to Toronto the next week. We did and I don't regret it. And if we get a Friday draw for NCAA, that's even better. A Tuesday night game means I have to miss work Wednesday or drive home really really late for a work night.

Edited by Coffee and TV