Juco Qb Commits

Northwest MS JUCO QB - Brent Osborn committed tonight. He is a 6'4 plus 210 kid from Valley Alabama. Brent was at Georgia Southern until they went back to the option attack. I have known his family for years. He will make a great addition to the UNT family. His film is posted below.

Highlight film: http://www.streetlight-productions.com/BrentOsbornFULLSCREEN.html

(I own the rights to the site listed in the link...so it is approved to show...hope you all enjoy)

Edited by Streetlight Productions

Northwest MS JUCO QB - Brent Osborn committed tonight. He is a 6'4 plus 210 kid from Valley Alabama. Brent was at Georgia Southern until they went back to the option attack. I have known his family for years. He will make a great addition to the UNT family. His film is posted below.

Highlight film: http://www.streetlight-productions.com/BrentOsbornFULLSCREEN.html

(I own the rights to the site listed in the link...so it is approved to show...hope you all enjoy)

So does this lessen our chances with Granger? I mean no disrespect to Brent...just askin. Welcome Aboard Brent!

This is the Georgia Southern board on when he was interested in them Georgia Southern

Edited by All About UNT

So does this lessen our chances with Granger? I mean no disrespect to Brent...just askin. Welcome Aboard Brent!

This is the Georgia Southern board on when he was interested in them Georgia Southern

I know Brent has a good head. He will not mind if he has to compete. The young man and his family are super great people. You guys will love him. Now I have another team to follow, LOL! Hopefully some of the Southeastern kids will look towards Denton... :goodjob:

Edited by Streetlight Productions

I know Brent has a good head. He will not mind if he has to compete. The young man and his family are super great people. You guys will love him. Now I have another team to follow, LOL! Hopefully some of the Southern Eastern kids will look towards Denton... :goodjob:

Thanks for the info. He's listed as a RS Freshman....so he'll have three years to play at NT....right?

In our offense Brent will have to pull the ball down and run some, according to what the defense gives him. The video mostly shows off his excellent arm; I can understand his not wanting to run the option.

In our offense Brent will have to pull the ball down and run some, according to what the defense gives him. The video mostly shows off his excellent arm; I can understand his not wanting to run the option.

I thought he looked capable the few times he did run. Our problem is we'll compare every qb's mobility with Riley's, and you seldom see that in a quarterback. What Brent seems to have is a pretty quick release, and great accuracy. I think he'll do well in a Canales offense. Let the competition begin.

• Upvote 1

I thought he looked capable the few times he did run. Our problem is we'll compare every qb's mobility with Riley's, and you seldom see that in a quarterback. What Brent seems to have is a pretty quick release, and great accuracy. I think he'll do well in a Canales offense. Let the competition begin.

I agree, and I don't think we need a sprinter as QB. This kid sets up quickly, has quick feet, and good size. I think he has the tools needed to avoid the pass rush and deliver the ball. What I really like is we have three years to coach him up.

I think you guys said it right. A QB does not have to run like Mike Vick to move the pocket and avoid the rush. Take a Matt Ryan as an example. He is not a fast guy, but moves well enough to escape the rush and avoid big sack losses. That is all about awareness in the pocket. I am by no means saying Brent will end up looking like Matt Ryan, but speed doesn't always equal effective rushing at the QB position. Aaron Rodgers isn't going to out run Joe Webb in the forty, but I know which one I want running with the football...LOL!

But, no matter what your opinion is on this...it is great to have good football talk!!!

Actually, and maybe I just am missing something...but I am a little concerned here. This kid may be a great addition...but he really did not play at Georgia Southern (a I-AA program) and, as a matter of fact, transferred b/c he did not play (yes, I do understand that they are changing their "style" of offense)...was not offered many scholarships (in fact, none were from I-A programs)...and then transferred from a community college. And, if those tape highlights were from his playing time at a CC...then I am really not that impressed.

Am I missing something here? I thought we wanted a play maker...someone who would not just sit back in the pocket but was mobile. Riley may be fragile...but he is a VERY mobile QB. This kid seems kind of slow, and not nearly as mobile as Riley.

So, what do the coaches (especially Coach Canales) see in him? Was he our only option? Sorry, but I am just not moved when I hear that he "chose" us b/c of his connection with Coach Canales. I mean...must have been a TOUGH, TOUGH decision to choose us over the likes of TN State and Murray State.

Even though it IS the powerhouse that is Murray State...:bow:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Here is why it was a tough decision to choose over Murray State. Murray State head football Chris Hatcher recruited Brent to Georgia Southern. Hatcher is his own QB Coach. Who do you think he talked to when he left Georgia Southern, that right Chris Hatcher at Murray State. Who do you think but him in contact with a junior college which is 6 hours from his hometown and a 10 hour drive from Georgia Southern. He was redshirted at Georgia Southern for a reason. That reason is the same reason that NT will probally redshirt a HS QB if they sign one with this recruiting class unless they sign a STUD out of HS at the QB position. Osborn visited Murray the week before. Who do you think call his former coach and had to tell that coach "I have chosen to play for someone else Coach".

Osborn was recruited out of HS from his showing at different football camps he attended. His HS ran the wishbone until his Senior year. Power football 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust. Ball Control, run the clock. His HS senior year his team only passed the ball about 10 times a game. He never would have been recruited on just his HS numbers just because of the make up of the team he played for.

There is one think I do know about Brent Osborn, he is a team player. Little Me - Big Team.

The kid just want to play QB. That was not in the cards with his skill set at Georgia Southern after the coaching change. Is he good enought to play QB at NT. I have no idea, but the NT coaching staff must believe he is good enough or they would not have offered a scholly.

Here is why it was a tough decision to choose over Murray State. Murray State head football Chris Hatcher recruited Brent to Georgia Southern. Hatcher is his own QB Coach. Who do you think he talked to when he left Georgia Southern, that right Chris Hatcher at Murray State. Who do you think but him in contact with a junior college which is 6 hours from his hometown and a 10 hour drive from Georgia Southern. He was redshirted at Georgia Southern for a reason. That reason is the same reason that NT will probally redshirt a HS QB if they sign one with this recruiting class unless they sign a STUD out of HS at the QB position. Osborn visited Murray the week before. Who do you think call his former coach and had to tell that coach "I have chosen to play for someone else Coach".

Osborn was recruited out of HS from his showing at different football camps he attended. His HS ran the wishbone until his Senior year. Power football 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust. Ball Control, run the clock. His HS senior year his team only passed the ball about 10 times a game. He never would have been recruited on just his HS numbers just because of the make up of the team he played for.

There is one think I do know about Brent Osborn, he is a team player. Little Me - Big Team.

The kid just want to play QB. That was not in the cards with his skill set at Georgia Southern after the coaching change. Is he good enought to play QB at NT. I have no idea, but the NT coaching staff must believe he is good enough or they would not have offered a scholly.

Troy Aikman once transferred from OU to UCLA because he did not fit in the Sooner offense. Seems that move turned out quite well for all concerned--even for that other team just down the road from Denton.

Welcome to Mean Green Country, Brent! Can't Wait To Watch You Zing Those Passes!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Honestly, can anyone who is not following a player really judge his talents based solely on a YouTube highlight segment or some other college's message board?

Remember Evan Roman's....or some like spelling of that......hightlight video? One head fake and defensive miss and Roman was in the endzone. How many times did he do that at NT? None that I can remember.

As far as who or why we are getting players I just leave that to the coaches.....I'm no expert on judging football talent....and I would suspect the same of the rest of you. You know it just has to be harder at the non-aq level.

Aikman is the right call here. Both his high school and OU were run-based offenses. OU attempted to switch to an I-formation when they landed Marcus Dupree. He abandoned them in middle of the 1983 season, and they went back to an option attack.

Aikman signed in 1984 and spent a year behind Danny Bradley - with Mack Brown as the offensive coordinator. OU had a shot at winning a national title that year, but lost to the Washington Huskies - who had Gary Pinkel as their offensive coordinator. The two former offensive coordinators from that game now battle OU in the Big 12-2.

Anyway, Aikman got his chance to start in 1985. OU, although still mainly a run-based team, had a couple of pass catchers who later spent some time in the NFL - Derrick Shepard and Keith Jackson. Aikman broke his leg in the Sooners' only loss of the season to Miami.

The offense was handed to true freshman Jamelle Holieway and OU switched back to the Wishbone option to accommodate his skill set. The Sooners won their remaining games and the national title.

Switzer then helped Aikman transfer. A little known fact: Switzer even called new Texas head coach David McWilliams and told him he should call Aikman since the Longhorns - with Todd Dodge at QB - had begun to throw the ball more.

Aikman chose UCLA, which isn't so shocking when you consider he was born in California and actually spent more of his childhood there in West Covina, a suburb about 20 miles from Los Angeles (think downtown Dallas to about the Richardson/Plano border in distance).

At UCLA, of course, the offense was long a passing school. Aikman thrived and the rest is history.

This kid who just committed, he's gone where he thought he'd best fit. You can't blame a kid for transferring if the offense doesn't fit his style.

This board is full of ridiculous people who call 18 to 20 year old kids quitters because they transfer to other schools. It's absurd. If the coach who sold you one thing during recruiting is gone, and another comes in with a totally different scheme and way of doing things, there's no harm in a kid leaving.

The kid and his family have only five years to play four. If things don't turn out as they were promised during recruiting - and, there is overselling in recruiting - then they have every right to leave without a bunch of old fatasses on computers questioning their commitment.

Commitment is a two-way street. OU committed to the run, and in the process helped Aikman become a star passer when he transferred. This kid from Alabama, who also played in a run-based offense, went close to family in his first college commitment - to a coach who had a passing offense.

I've got no beef with this kid. You're not going to get noticed in high school very often as a passer if you're handing the ball off 2/3rds of the time. He was a team guy back home and did his part. He wasn't one of these kids from a family that transferred him around to different high schools just to suit his needs.

His local high school ran the ball and he played without complaining. A coach at Georgia Southern gave him a shot despite the offense not matching his high school offense. That coach left and so did he. No harm done at any level. Not even close.

Quit pile driving what appears to be a good kid. He's got every right to use his college eligibility to his own advantage. He's been a good solider everywhere he's been.

He's got three years to give us, and appears to have the arm strength of Derek Thompson. I'm all for that.

The only knock I have on him is the same knock you could give half or more quarterbacks that age - he locks onto his primary target too often. You can do that in high school and lower divisions of college football. But, up here at FBS, there is too much speed in opposing defense to do that. Canales will have to break him of that.

Welcome the kid aboard and be glad we've now a coaching staff with enough sense to recognize we needs some more quarterbacks in the arsenal. I'm plenty happy about this kid, and hope that Canales and McCarney land a couple more QBs before signing day.

• Upvote 2

Aikman is the right call here. Both his high school and OU were run-based offenses. OU attempted to switch to an I-formation when they landed Marcus Dupree. He abandoned them in middle of the 1983 season, and they went back to an option attack.

Aikman signed in 1984 and spent a year behind Danny Bradley - with Mack Brown as the offensive coordinator. OU had a shot at winning a national title that year, but lost to the Washington Huskies - who had Gary Pinkel as their offensive coordinator. The two former offensive coordinators from that game now battle OU in the Big 12-2.

Anyway, Aikman got his chance to start in 1985. OU, although still mainly a run-based team, had a couple of pass catchers who later spent some time in the NFL - Derrick Shepard and Keith Jackson. Aikman broke his leg in the Sooners' only loss of the season to Miami.

The offense was handed to true freshman Jamelle Holieway and OU switched back to the Wishbone option to accommodate his skill set. The Sooners won their remaining games and the national title.

Switzer then helped Aikman transfer. A little known fact: Switzer even called new Texas head coach David McWilliams and told him he should call Aikman since the Longhorns - with Todd Dodge at QB - had begun to throw the ball more.

Aikman chose UCLA, which isn't so shocking when you consider he was born in California and actually spent more of his childhood there in West Covina, a suburb about 20 miles from Los Angeles (think downtown Dallas to about the Richardson/Plano border in distance).

At UCLA, of course, the offense was long a passing school. Aikman thrived and the rest is history.

This kid who just committed, he's gone where he thought he'd best fit. You can't blame a kid for transferring if the offense doesn't fit his style.

This board is full of ridiculous people who call 18 to 20 year old kids quitters because they transfer to other schools. It's absurd. If the coach who sold you one thing during recruiting is gone, and another comes in with a totally different scheme and way of doing things, there's no harm in a kid leaving.

The kid and his family have only five years to play four. If things don't turn out as they were promised during recruiting - and, there is overselling in recruiting - then they have every right to leave without a bunch of old fatasses on computers questioning their commitment.

Commitment is a two-way street. OU committed to the run, and in the process helped Aikman become a star passer when he transferred. This kid from Alabama, who also played in a run-based offense, went close to family in his first college commitment - to a coach who had a passing offense.

I've got no beef with this kid. You're not going to get noticed in high school very often as a passer if you're handing the ball off 2/3rds of the time. He was a team guy back home and did his part. He wasn't one of these kids from a family that transferred him around to different high schools just to suit his needs.

His local high school ran the ball and he played without complaining. A coach at Georgia Southern gave him a shot despite the offense not matching his high school offense. That coach left and so did he. No harm done at any level. Not even close.

Quit pile driving what appears to be a good kid. He's got every right to use his college eligibility to his own advantage. He's been a good solider everywhere he's been.

He's got three years to give us, and appears to have the arm strength of Derek Thompson. I'm all for that.

The only knock I have on him is the same knock you could give half or more quarterbacks that age - he locks onto his primary target too often. You can do that in high school and lower divisions of college football. But, up here at FBS, there is too much speed in opposing defense to do that. Canales will have to break him of that.

Welcome the kid aboard and be glad we've now a coaching staff with enough sense to recognize we needs some more quarterbacks in the arsenal. I'm plenty happy about this kid, and hope that Canales and McCarney land a couple more QBs before signing day.

I don't know what has happened, but I find myself agreeing with you more on a daily basis. Must have something to do with that eclipse from the other night! +1

All that fighting you guys used to do has really helped you bond.

It wasn't so much of a fight, but we both wanted UNT to do well. Like many on the board, we all have a different opinion of how to skin the cat. We just all know we want it skinned.

We now agree on how it's being skinned. There are a few holdouts. But, my guess is, once we start winning, no one will care what was said back in the dark days of 2005-2010. Those years will simply be the darkest hour before the dawn.

It wasn't so much of a fight, but we both wanted UNT to do well. Like many on the board, we all have a different opinion of how to skin the cat. We just all know we want it skinned.

We now agree on how it's being skinned. There are a few holdouts. But, my guess is, once we start winning, no one will care what was said back in the dark days of 2005-2010. Those years will simply be the darkest hour before the dawn.

Winning does seen to solve a lot of the bickering and complaining from a teams fan base.

Unless you are a Bama Fan, all they know is bickering and complaining. :notfair:

I can say that about them since I have to live with them each and every day.