So Long To The Mean Green Club Deck?

FirefightnRick

gallery_1_2_52628.jpg

Guys if you look at this picture, I don't know where they could put it unless they put it on the roof of the AC. To be honest that deck looks like a big screen stand but it is a shame that the AC will lose the view of the field.

There are some endzones that have a similar setup with scoreboard, some are not blocking the deck views...

2034094.jpeg

byrd-stadium-400x267.jpg

http://www.northcarolinawolfpacktickets.com/img/articles/Carter%20Finley%20Stadium.JPG

Guest JohnDenver

You are correct that one seat would cost $1,475, but two seats would be $2,450 because the $500 MGC donation is per account, not per seat.

It isn't logical to clump the per seat donation into the yearly ticket price.

The cost of two seats on the club level is $1200 per year.

The one time cost to sit in those two seats (for life) is $6250. How you pay this $6250 is up to you -- but don't get all hyperbolic on the yearly cost, because the $6250 (or divided by 5) isn't yearly. If you want to pay it all at once, you can. If you spread it out, you can. That doesn't change the stable cost of $1200 a year for two seats, but even that isn't completely accurate -- you get to write off $400 on your taxes. Which lowers the effective 'yearly' bill by ~100 or so.

I will not miss the deck. The site lines suck. The video board angle hurt my neck. The bitter cold and blistering heat were miserable. The only thing that I enjoyed was the beer, but the past couple of years that wife and I have been driving back to OKC immediately following the games -- so even the beer use had been subverted.

1100 a year is worth the price of admission for two people. My friend from 'big time' programs wish they had this option. Instead they pay $1100+ to sit in crap seats, paying $5.50 for a bottle of water.

I've been a MGC member for 5 yrs now, and I've never visited the deck. I'm not a beer guy, so flask has been SOP since I was a student.

The deck just never held that much appeal to me, my seats were better for watching the game, I met up with anyone I wanted to in the Blue Parking lot at the Bus.

I chalked up the $500 MGC donation as a way to get great parking and the cost to be the boss.

At 31, with a 2 yr old and another due in Feb, and living in Florida right now, it totally makes Club level out of my reach, but trust, I'll be working my rear off for the next 5 years to come up with the $6K for the wife and I's 2 club level seats for when we return to the metroplex.

I'll be purchasing a paver stone, re-upping my Alumni membership, MGC membership and grabbing 2 season tickets to the lower bowl, even though I'll be there for 1 game for sure.

And who would've thought there'd be so much debate on the Scoreboard set-up... too funny. If you put it behind the wing, then you detract from the appeal the stadium has from I35, you know our marketing machine.

I agree though, I thought the view from the AC to the stadium was going to be classy, all good, I'll be there in Sept, loving every second of it, enjoying the 15 concession stands and trying to use every toilet in the stadium.

Go Mean Green!

I, for one, thank you, Sir. I appreciate the commitment you have made to supporting your University. I know the commitment it takes with a young family as I have been there done that, and it isn't easy. You just have to prioritize, and you have done so. Every member of the Mean Green Nation owes you, and those like you, a big debt of gratitude and thanks. We need more young supporters (and supporters of any age for that matter) following your lead. Thank You! GO MEAN GREEN!

Hey Classic, do you think we can get The Prairie House and other caterers over there during the season before each game?

Rick

Discussions are on-going as we write regarding food and beverage service for the Alumni pavilion. I am told that food and beverages...and yes, even the adult variety, will be available for purchase much like the current deck arrangement. Do not know the details as yet, but it is definitely being worked on by your Alumni Assoc. staff. Just like the stadium, I am certain there will be a bit of a "shake-down cruise" time for the pavilion after opening, but all indications are that it is going to be a fun and casual place to hang out. Construction has started. Check it out.

BTW...the Alumni Association is selling pavers and taking other contributions to help fund the construction. My wife and I have made a contribution and we have purchased a paver. I would recommend that all alumni consider doing the same. Some are buying bricks that commemorate their grad year, some are buying bricks that commemorate other significant events while students on the UNT campus. Should be great fun to check all the pavers out once they are installed.

GO MEAN GREEN! GO UNT ALUMNI!

I, for one, thank you, Sir. I appreciate the commitment you have made to supporting your University. I know the commitment it takes with a young family as I have been there done that, and it isn't easy. You just have to prioritize, and you have done so. Every member of the Mean Green Nation owes you, and those like you, a big debt of gratitude and thanks. We need more young supporters (and supporters of any age for that matter) following your lead. Thank You! GO MEAN GREEN!

Kram1, absolutely appreciate the kind words, not fishing for Fan of the year award by any means. Nobody owes me anything, I take my alma mater extremely seriously, and anybody that comes within earshot of me is going to get their fill of UNT. Agreed though, we can use all the fans we can get, fresh out of commencement, or more experienced, male, female, donkey, we need support.

I just wanted people to realize that there's more "kids" like me out there, than there are alumni that can fork up 1200 a year for 2 seats in the Club Level, even without the one-time required donation.

And I have family with season tickets at Auburn and Alabama, trust me, I understand what Big-Time college football costs, and understand the truly unique opportunity UNT FB allows. My dad has season tickets for the Cowboys, and he spends more on his parking yearly, than I do for my MGC donation, 2 seats, alumni membership, and a new UNT hat.

Best bang for your buck deal on Football in the metroplex, same argument can be made for the education as well.

So yeah, so long MGC deck, it was nice to have you as an option, but upwards and onwards, I'll trade your weathered wooden rails for 15 concession stands and too many latrines to count, any and every day of the week.

• Upvote 3

If a restaurant who had loyal patrons suddenly upgraded from hamburgers to above-average filet mignon, overpriced it like it was caviar, and as a result reduced their sales by 2/3, that is certainly their right in the free market.

But it seems that it is a foolish move. As I said in my post, if we were a big time school and we knew we were going to sell all those seats at X price, then by all means do it. What irks me is that the sales are obviously NOT going well, they are now recruiting volunteers to help sell seats, and oh, by the way, we're taking away a benefit you used to have because we want you to pay a lot more and stay in your seats. OK, I'll buy my seats and will adapt and this will all be forgotten, but for now I'm annoyed by it.

F yer, why so negative all of a sudden? None of this is recent news. You act like it is some clandestine plot to price out folks and take away benefits. In fact, the Mean Green Club is reviewing benefits and will definitely be adding some in the near future. Your post almost sounds like the kind of "class warfare" and "class envy" being touted by the democratic party day in and day out. Look, when my wife and I had three kids at home and we were starting out in our careers, I certainly couldn't afford Club Level seating. But, I wouldn't blast the university and administration for trying to upgrade facilities and sell seats and work on donation levels. It's not "class warfare". It's no problem if one cannot purchase Club Level seating or stadium seating between the 40's due to circumstances or simply because they don't want to do so, and I have not heard anyone jumping any one's case for opting to not purchase or participate in the Mean Green Club's efforts to increase membership. That effort is voluntary just like it is voluntary to purchase Club level seating or not. Yes, some folks get more benefits because they are in a position to donate more at this time of their life. Heck, I wish I could afford the Boxes at the new stadium. I can't and even if I could I doubt that I would purchase in that level. BUT, I do not begrudge those that can pay that price or choose (it is voluntary you know) to pay that price the extra benefits they will receive.

The stadium hasn't even hosted it's first game and folks are starting to complain already about this or that. It is all voluntary. Let me say that again...it is all voluntary. You get to pick what you want to do and what you don't want to do. There will be alternatives to the deck...such as the Alumni Pavilion and great tailgating before and after the games.

Sales are going well by the way. When one compares the support the program has been receiving the past few years with the demand for the Club Level and box seating one can surmise that sales are, indeed, going well. Will they be sold out before the stadium opens, I doubt it. Heck, if you counted all the current season ticket holders UNT has they probably wouldn't account for all the Club level and Box seating. Having sold 1/3 of the Club level seating and, as I am told, a majority of the box seating already isn't bad in my book for UNT given its record of past non-support.

The glass is either half-full or it's half-empty. You get to choose which it is.....Smile, Flyer, it's not like you to be so gloomy!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I really do see the alumni pavillion becoming the new party deck, except better. No annoying football game to bother those that only want to be there for the beer and social aspect.. You don't even have to go into the game.

This really is old news, and really not worthy of a 5 page thread. We took a step toward major college football with the new stadium and club level seating. It's too late to preserve a great value aliong with losing football. I'll pay for the winner very time.

If you want to drink in the new stadium, bring a flask. Since so many on here want to complain about money, well, the flask is the cheapest route, anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ah, the ol $100 bill arguement, but in this case it's about 14 of them per seat.

And it's funny, but expected off course,in how people who didnt get any value out of the deck in the first place feel free to dismiss the concerns of those who did?

Rick

I hope you are not counting me in that group you are dissing here...I loved the deck and so did my bride and we will miss it. We just realize that the new stadium has so much more to offer and will help UNT and its program in so many more ways that losing the deck is a price we are happy to pay to get the new stadium and all it will do for the football program and the University in general. It's the greater good thing...you give up a little to get a lot in the case of the new stadium. And, many of the folks who you seem to think "didn't get any value out of the deck" and are posting their OK-ness with its passing here on the thread I saw on that very deck at almost every game....and really, so did you. I share your pain, Rick, but really don't think it is THAT big of a deal. I really do think you will find the Alumni Pavilion and other tailgating opportunities will soon create new traditions and adventures for you...and everyone else for that matter.

And, BTW, no one seems to be dismissing the concerns, they are simply not necessarily agreeing that it is much of a concern.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The deck was built, in my opinion, to make that P.O.S. Fouts a tad more livable until the Palace Across The Street could be built. No different than waterless urinals, frankly.

We wouldn't need to drunk up our visitors if the girl they were looking at was hot. Now, she will be.

There will be many places inside and outside of the stadium to gather your friends. But all who attend will feel much better about their "home" than where we were.

EDIT: And for those that do invest in the stadium through a club level purchase, there will be open air tables and chairs directly behind the Silver seats at the North and South ends of the Club Lounge. Deck-like experience with a view.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 1

It does not bother me to do away with the MG Deck gathering. Nice benefit at Fouts Field, but those days are, thankfully, over. I do think placing the scoreboard in front of the AC, just about blocking what would be a nice view of that facility, is a big mistake.

Would They Put A Lone Star Beer Billboard In Front of The Taj Mahal?

O Lord, don't let them turn our new stadium into another PEB olympic-sized swimming pool that was one foot shy of being olympic size and one "heckuva'" boo-boo that was quite conveniently covered up to where few ever knew about it, too. Amen :innocent:

PS: This program will turn you to religion in due time.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5