Troy Franklin

UNTLifer

I don't believe he saw the field all year on either side of the ball. That's probably not a great sign, but it might open up the opportunity to redshirt him if the coaches so desire. There will be a lot of losses on both sides of the ball, but my guess is that he will move into the 2-deep on the O-line.

I don't believe he saw the field all year on either side of the ball. That's probably not a great sign, but it might open up the opportunity to redshirt him if the coaches so desire. There will be a lot of losses on both sides of the ball, but my guess is that he will move into the 2-deep on the O-line.

He's already redshirted.

• Upvote 1

What year? I know he played his true freshman year ('08). I thought he played last year as well?

His first year was '08......that's '08, '09, and '10. Yet he's listed as a sophomore. So if that's all correct....he must have redshirted in '09?

His first year was '08......that's '08, '09, and '10. Yet he's listed as a sophomore. So if that's all correct....he must have redshirted in '09?

Actually, I believe you are correct. However, I don't recall him getting any playing time this year. I hope they get him on the field next year, whether O-line or D-line; decide which, and let him show us what he can do.

I suspect that a full evaluation of the roster is either already done, or is currently in progress. He's been here long enough that they need to pick a position (or at least a side of the line) for him and then have him get ready to play and/or have a role there.

Can someone give a full list of the players that were hurt this year?

I suspect that a full evaluation of the roster is either already done, or is currently in progress. He's been here long enough that they need to pick a position (or at least a side of the line) for him and then have him get ready to play and/or have a role there.

Can someone give a full list of the players that were hurt this year?

Will Atterberry P

Greg Brown TE, ST

Christopher Bynes WR

DeWaylon Cook S

Steven Ford CB

James Hamilton RB

Breece Johnson WR

J J Johnson C

Bennie Jones WR

Nick Leppo C

Micah Mosley RB

Chris Neal CB, ST

Derek Thompson QB

Nathan Tune QB

There were several others that were out one or two games...Dodge and Drake come immediately to mind.

The website shows Franklin as an OL, yet the program from the KSU game had him listed as a DE. Any updates or his position and how he is developing? He was highly regarded coming out of HS?

Troy played DT his first year, but shifted to OT the next year. He has been redshirted, so he'll go into next season as a redshirt junior. He has not really had a chance to play O-line in a game yet. Next year's O-line is in pretty good shape with Johnson, Fortenberry, Feeley & Tomlinson back, all having extensive playing time in 2010 except Johnson and he was the starter at C going in. The issue will be people stepping up at OT and in backup positions. I can see Johnson at C, Fortenberry at RG, Tomlinson at LT, Feeley at LG and a need for a RT. That RT could be Adedipe, Franklin, Bean, Noble or a JC recruit. I think we'll absolutely need JC help.

Troy played DT his first year, but shifted to OT the next year. He has been redshirted, so he'll go into next season as a redshirt junior. He has not really had a chance to play O-line in a game yet. Next year's O-line is in pretty good shape with Johnson, Fortenberry, Feeley & Tomlinson back, all having extensive playing time in 2010 except Johnson and he was the starter at C going in. The issue will be people stepping up at OT and in backup positions. I can see Johnson at C, Fortenberry at RG, Tomlinson at LT, Feeley at LG and a need for a RT. That RT could be Adedipe, Franklin, Bean, Noble or a JC recruit. I think we'll absolutely need JC help.

So, in your opinion, is Troy a potential starter (or regular back-up) somewhere? If so, where?

So, in your opinion, is Troy a potential starter (or regular back-up) somewhere? If so, where?

Hard to say about Troy; he hasn't gotten any time in games, which means he hasn't had many reps at practice. The O-line coach is going to have to see promise and give him a shot. Reps in practice are what makes good young linemen grow into starters. Look at Fortenberry and Feeley; at the end of the year you didn't even notice a fall off in production. Dunbar had some great games. That's all about reps. Canales and Riley Dodge may have had some influence too.

Edited by jimbob

Franklin was tried at dt his freshman year, and frankly didn't have the quickness needed. He was moved to offensive line, the position he was originally recruited for, and obviously has not shown enough to get in playing time even with last years injury ridden line. He has two years left to play so he has time to up his game, but it seems that he must make a move next year. Right now he appears to be behind Tomlinson, Freeley, Johnson, Leppio, Fortenberry, Bean and Adedipe. Noble also did not play last year and two freshmen redshirts Y'Barbo and Johnson are added competition. Maybe a new coaching staff will give him some added motivation.