Catching Up with Canales

Harry

I just have to say, Coach Canales is a CLASS act and he is a great coach and person. I hope he can land a head coaching job, but if not I hope that Coach McCarney and the powers that be at UNT will do everything in their power to convince him to stay at UNT. He would be an huge asset to our program! GMG!

Sounds to me that if he doesn't get picked up by ULL then there just might be a chance he sticks around ... That would be a win / win for everyone.... right ?

I am soooo holding out hope for this to happen. Since Mike and Dan coached for a year together at USF, maybe it will. It's at least good to hear MC is open to discussing the option. Hopefully DM will want him on staff and RV can double his current salary (if not more so) to make it happen. I think we'd have to double it to get anywhere close to what he was making as OC at USF.

Edited by UNTX

I don't think I've ever seen a guy coach a game and direct the crowd like he did yesterday. That was an impressive performance. The guy's a winner. Had the refs not given K-State 15 chances to score on the 1-yard line, then randomly decided on awarding a touchdown some 30 seconds after the play was over, he very well may have left the field a winner on the scoreboard as well.

I am soooo holding out hope for this to happen. Since Mike and Dan coached for a year together at USF, maybe it will. It's at least good to hear MC is open to discussing the option. Hopefully DM will want him on staff and RV can double his current salary (if not more so) to make it happen. I think we'd have to double it to get anywhere close to what he was making as OC at USF.

I hope we do this... and give him a new title on top of being the OC.

More of what we can expect from Canales: absolutely first class response and always looking at the big picture. It would be all holy utopia if Mike Canales could be retained as assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator, and John Skladany to run the defense. Talk about blowing the rest of the Sun Belt out of the water!

I really hope Canales is able to be here as OC and even Asst. Head Coach, perhaps our head coach in waiting. But, I just do not have much confidence that it will happen. I think Mccarney will clean house, and bring in his own people. He will want to have total influence and control over this team. I fear he will view Canales as a person who might give the appearance of two voices in the locker room. Now, I think Canales would be the loyal assistant, but i did not work with him for year at USF either, and though Canales says they had a good relationship, liking and hiring somebody is two different things.

More of what we can expect from Canales: absolutely first class response and always looking at the big picture. It would be all holy utopia if Mike Canales could be retained as assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator, and John Skladany to run the defense. Talk about blowing the rest of the Sun Belt out of the water!

Gonna be tough to make happen but it would solidify our coaching staff as the best in the SBC

I really like what Canales did with the team the last 5 weeks, but I am a little skeptical of people who always say the right thing. It has also bothered me from the beginning that he referred to himself in the third person. As he said on the post-game interview yesterday, he is a "hell of a salesman" and I certainly agree. He did a hell of a job with the team and with selling himself the last 5 weeks. I think he realizes that his window of opportunity for a HFC job is closing. I am glad we got a proven commodity in McCarney, even though I had never heard of him before. I wish Canales the best, but I am glad we didn't name him HFC.

GMG.

I feel like if Chico does not get offered a HC job somewhere then McCarney needs to immediately offer him the OC job if he will take it. Why would McCarney want to mess with the offense? It was hitting it's stride over the past 5 games and I feel like it will be just as good if not better if we bring back Chico. Hopefully McCarney is not too stubborn or prideful to refuse Chico the chance to return because it would be a huge mistake. It would be good for him to have some continuity with the offense for next year.

I believe that Coach Mack should be able to hire whoever he thinks can get the job done. That said, he really should try to get Canales to stay. I think that it would be a really smart move to keep Chico on board. It would thrill the fans and Chico could know the job would be his until he landed another head job or if McCarney left. Don't discount the fact that if this program awakens, Chico would be well positioned for a HC gig.