Can We Get Someone Like This?

Cr1028

I know most of you older alums are in favor of the 2nd coming of Hayden Fry, but what about this gentleman?

ced72cb3f806f03eb22c2069dc34c985bd441ab7.jpg?x=744&y=448&sig=ec6d1a94384f2357462d3e9ecd0f2451

He coached for us for 21 years, had a winning overall record, 10 conference championships, and was named national coach of the year.

We were a really good team at one time and after the last 30yrs of mostly garbage, we are barely above .500 for our history. We need someone with staying power who can get us back to being a perennial winner.

Edited by Cr1028

Case in point...Greene played for both Mitchell and Rust. Mitchell was a true gentleman and a real credit to the university. This shot was taken after a game...I think this was the game where NT scored 42 points in the last home game for Mitchell. Mitchell had coached for 42 years, which is why the team ran up 42 on Chattanooga that day.

Really? I would have sworn that Joe was there while Otis Mitchell was still coaching. I had classes with Joe Greene and I know Otis Mitchell was coaching for some of the years I attended UNT as an undergrad.

I may be showing some "stinking thinking" here, but would swear Joe played under Otis Mitchell. Anyone recall what year Otis Mitchell retired? I would think Joe played at least a couple of years for Otis...SUMG, help me out here!

Case in point...Greene played for both Mitchell and Rust. Mitchell was a true gentleman and a real credit to the university. This shot was taken after a game...I think this was the game where NT scored 42 points in the last home game for Mitchell. Mitchell had coached for 42 years, which is why the team ran up 42 on Chattanooga that day.

Great...I feel better now...thanks, drex...I had to know you would know the answer. I didn't think my mind had gone completely whack-o as yet!

The uniforms were hunter green and yes, no one came to games, at least during the four years I was there in the early 70's. As I've posted before, there were about 300 in the stands when we beat San Diego State who was ranked 18 at the time. The reported attendance was stretched to 1000.

I had the good fortune to meet Odus Mitchell and he was well respected long after he retired.

Unless it was high school band day, the Alumni side (shown in the picture) was generally empty. Maybe 500 on a good day. Student side was 1/2 to 3/4 full except for homecoming in which it could fill up. And this was during the Joe Greene, Steve Ramsey, Ronnie Shanklin, etc. days. Very good football teams back then.

Unless it was high school band day, the Alumni side (shown in the picture) was generally empty. Maybe 500 on a good day. Student side was 1/2 to 3/4 full except for homecoming in which it could fill up. And this was during the Joe Greene, Steve Ramsey, Ronnie Shanklin, etc. days. Very good football teams back then.

16,800 filled Fouts that year (1967) for homecoming.