Yes, Rushing The Court May Have Been Unnecessary...

NTerock

guys i am not sure why anyone is trying to argue that rushing the court made us look anything less than desperate. this is a joke. we are talking about a team that has won their conference twice in the last few years and advanced to an NCAA tournament. this is a coach that has NEVER lost to a Big 12 school at home. i would make fun of us too if I was a Tech fan. Tech's basketball program sucks right now. yeah, they made it to the Sweet 16 a few years ago but lately it has been all downhill. i am not in any way, shape or form taking away from the fact that this was a nice win but I am taking away from the overly emotional reaction we showed by winning this game. maybe part of the problem around good ol U of NT is our expectations. instead of rushing the court when we beat the 5th best team in a 6 team Big 12 South at home, maybe we should be asking why Tech was in this game to begin with? i hope the team wasn't as excited about this win as our fans were or we aren't going anywhere this year and i would bet money that Johnny Jones is not exactly thrilled with the game last night

we rushed the court at a game that couldn't even make the local news. don't try to spin it. it was stupid

I'm not so sure us beating Duke would make the local news.

• Upvote 4

I want to say, rushing the court last night was the right move and that was why i was apart of it. I'm the guy in the Green Wig in the front row of all the games, and even though we had a huge crowd due to our "named" opponent, we ran the court last night on the emotion of the Game....The pit crew was so fired up after Josh hit those two 3's that i even told the cops lined up on the floor that their was no way they were stopping this crowd. I can personally say that even though i was happy to beat a Big 12 school i ran the court because i love my school and i love this team, and they deserved a celebration after the type of game they played. and after all the football beatings i have taken since 07 (never seen a win at fouts) this was much more special then when i ran the court in 07 vs OSU and the fact that I'm graduating in December and this was my final "BIG GAME"....plus i also hope this makes more students want to come back. Rushing the court creates memories and memories create fans, that was the best thing that UNT could have hoped for last night

• Upvote 2

I want to say, rushing the court last night was the right move and that was why i was apart of it. I'm the guy in the Green Wig in the front row of all the games, and even though we had a huge crowd due to our "named" opponent, we ran the court last night on the emotion of the Game....The pit crew was so fired up after Josh hit those two 3's that i even told the cops lined up on the floor that their was no way they were stopping this crowd. I can personally say that even though i was happy to beat a Big 12 school i ran the court because i love my school and i love this team, and they deserved a celebration after the type of game they played. and after all the football beatings i have taken since 07 (never seen a win at fouts) this was much more special then when i ran the court in 07 vs OSU and the fact that I'm graduating in December and this was my final "BIG GAME"....plus i also hope this makes more students want to come back. Rushing the court creates memories and memories create fans, that was the best thing that UNT could have hoped for last night

I agree man, its not everyday that we beat a big 12 school at home in overtime. I could careless what people from other schools think about what we did. If they dont like it,oh well. I was one of the ones on the court after the game and it will one day be a great memory.

Edited by jtm0097

Honestly, I can't even understand why this is even up for debate. It was a thrilling game, and an exciting atmosphere. It is not about "oh we should expect to beat them so we should sit on our hands", it is about what went on in the game. I really doubt people would have rushed had we won in a dominating performance. People were fired up about the game the many amazing plays by josh white.

I seriously can't understand why people don't get this. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN UNT FANS THIS EXCITED ABOUT AN ATHLETIC EVENT BEFORE? Be happy with that. If someone donated a billion dollars to UNT, there would be someone on this board bitching that they were a muslim, a vegetarian, or doesn't wipe their ass the proper way. (which is STANDING UP by the way)

• Upvote 1

I was sitting in the tech section with my dad, a newly converted UNT fan, and the game experience was amazing. Rushing the court was a great thing, overtime victories are great things, the entire night was a great time and if the emotional evening makes the students want to hit the floor then that's great!

This is a rediculous thing to even debate. There is nothing wrong with rushing the court, it fit right in with the rest of that fantastic game. Don't be such fuddy duddies.

Haters gonna hate.

If that is directed at UNTSIG, gotta say, he ain't a hater. A cutie, maybe...but not a hater.

And I honestly agree with, at least his sentiment, in regards to rushing the court. I keep reading the arguments that it was an exciting game and th students got caught up in the emotion...but what happens if the UTA game is another OT thriller? They've become a bit of a rival and always play us tight...do the students rush the court then, too? Or how about if Sam Houston came here? They may well end up better than Tech this season...storm the floor after an exciting W?

It reeks of small time to storm the court after a win over what will be, at best, an 18 win 5th place Big 12 team that is hard by the channel on selection Sunday trying to will themselves into the tourney. And I believe that is UNTSIG...and many other's concern over what happened on Tuesday night.

There has to come a point in the very near future where we expect to win over a team like this...and we need to become a more knowledgeable and self-aware fan base who can fully recognize both our and our opponents' place in the current college basketball landscape. This game was not over-celebratory material.

All of that said...I am fully OK with a slightly embarrassing over-celebration if it brings fans back. More embarrassing than rushing the court against a slightly above average team is the fact that a team will have 100+ wins over the past five seasons struggles to average 3000 fans. If the excitement and emotion from this game will bring people back, lets celebrate like we just beat Duke.

• Upvote 2

If that is directed at UNTSIG, gotta say, he ain't a hater. A cutie, maybe...but not a hater.

And I honestly agree with, at least his sentiment, in regards to rushing the court. I keep reading the arguments that it was an exciting game and th students got caught up in the emotion...but what happens if the UTA game is another OT thriller? They've become a bit of a rival and always play us tight...do the students rush the court then, too? Or how about if Sam Houston came here? They may well end up better than Tech this season...storm the floor after an exciting W?

It reeks of small time to storm the court after a win over what will be, at best, an 18 win 5th place Big 12 team that is hard by the channel on selection Sunday trying to will themselves into the tourney. And I believe that is UNTSIG...and many other's concern over what happened on Tuesday night.

There has to come a point in the very near future where we expect to win over a team like this...and we need to become a more knowledgeable and self-aware fan base who can fully recognize both our and our opponents' place in the current college basketball landscape. This game was not over-celebratory material.

All of that said...I am fully OK with a slightly embarrassing over-celebration if it brings fans back. More embarrassing than rushing the court against a slightly above average team is the fact that a team will have 100+ wins over the past five seasons struggles to average 3000 fans. If the excitement and emotion from this game will bring people back, lets celebrate like we just beat Duke.

Perfectly stated.

I didn't think our fans needed to rush the court, but I understood that it could happen so I had my kid and the kid of another season ticket holder step out of the aisle to be out of the way if it did happen.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. I was at the game, and sitting next to the Pit Crew. I thought the emotion of running onto the court was less about the fact that it was Texas Tech (although that was probably a factor), and more about the emotion from an absolutely incredible game last night. The team played extremely hard, and even when they fell behind refused to give up. And the OT was on a whole different level. I think the fans were just genuinely excited for the team and for JJ and the effort they gave.

if we are going to get our average attendance above 4,000, it will take a lot more student participation, as well as scheduling regional schools such as tech who will bring fans. i look at allowing our students to rush the floor as an effort to make our games an event that they think is fun and want to be a part of.lets see if it pays off tuesday against rice, but regardless i applaud our efforts to make games a happening. i haven't had so much fun since we beat texas at home in ot in the bill blakely era.

Reasonable folks gonna be reasonable.

if we are going to get our average attendance above 4,000, it will take a lot more student participation, as well as scheduling regional schools such as tech who will bring fans. i look at allowing our students to rush the floor as an effort to make our games an event that they think is fun and want to be a part of.lets see if it pays off tuesday against rice, but regardless i applaud our efforts to make games a happening. i haven't had so much fun since we beat texas at home in ot in the bill blakely era.

--- Exactly.... games are supposed to fun.... and if student do that after a win once in a while (they have all friends at TT ) they get to brag about it later to them ... Besides.. More fun... more attendence. Some of us get tired of them telling us about how great the Big XII is..... and that we can't compete with them... well we did ... and we defeated them....

--- Exactly.... games are supposed to fun.... and if student do that after a win once in a while (they have all friends at TT ) they get to brag about it later to them ... Besides.. More fun... more attendence. Some of us get tired of them telling us about how great the Big XII is..... and that we can't compete with them... well we did ... and we defeated them....

I thought coming back from an 8 point deficit and tying it up with a hair over 2 seconds left to get it into OT made it exciting enough to rush the court. Then there was the snarky

Tech people making comments about the Sun Belt as the banners were being raised earlier didn't set well with me either.

So to me, rushing the court, if for anything else, to tell the players on the floor "Great Game" was justified, and helped rub it in a little to all the Techsters who were filing out with a....."That $hit sandwhich they just served up didn't taste so good" look on their faces.

Rick

• Upvote 1

I thought coming back from an 8 point deficit and tying it up with a hair over 2 seconds left to get it into OT made it exciting enough to rush the court. Then there was the snarky

Tech people making comments about the Sun Belt as the banners were being raised earlier didn't set well with me either.

So to me, rushing the court, if for anything else, to tell the players on the floor "Great Game" was justified, and helped rub it in a little to all the Techsters who were filing out with a....."That $hit sandwhich they just served up didn't taste so good" look on their faces.

Rick

The problem with this logic is that we're gonna have close games this season...Rice and UTA won't be blow-outs...when FAU comes here expect a dog-fight. Even if these games go 3 OTs with thrilling last second shots galore, none of them are at the level of over-celebrating. Same goes with Tech. Its a name...not a top program. In fact, I'd go so far to say that it does the exact opposite of "rubbing it in a little"...it compliments Tech by saying we think their good enough to merit this kind of reaction.

Again, you'll note above my exact stance on this and why I'm OK with it if it translate to at least 5K in the Pit...it is just a bit frustrating though. Perhaps, as a whole, court/field storming is so far over-blown these days...I just feel this sort of thing should be reserved for major upsets or championship wins.

Rick

Of course all the snarky comments (and attempts at organized cheers) of the Tech fans were consistently and emphatically shouted down by our crowd all night B) So great to see.

It was fun to watch the defeat wash over the Tech fans in attendance early in overtime. You could tell that they really didn't see that coming, then...BAM. Fork in the eye!

thank you CBL for calling me a cutie. that made me blush haha. guys i understand the argument about getting caught in the excitement of the game. this is really not about fans rushing the court for me. this is about expectations. i am an Aggie fan. yes, shoot me. I sat there for years watching the Aggies blindly support RC Slocum as the program fell into something that seemed like college football but it wasn't really. they were elated by wins over schools like OK State but didn't expect to play with schools like Texas and OU. A&M was a team that had won the Big 12 conference just a few years before but their fans just started accepting the small stuff.

are we A&M? heck no do we have fans that will blindly follow us, win our lose? HELL no There is a correlation though between what happened there and what CAN happen here with our basketball program. dont get content and confuse a mole hill for a mountain. instead of being pissed and calling for RC's head when they got drilled by OU, they came to expect it. I just don't want that to happen with our basketball program and unfortunately being too elated over a win against Tech can start a slippery slope

The obvious solution to all of this is bring in the Denton SWAT team for the next big game. They can stand shoulder to shoulder in full riot gear facing the Pit Crew. When the Pit Crew tries to rush the court after the win, the SWAT team can start handing out justice LAPD style. That way we can save ourselves the embarrassment of the opposing fans seeing us rush the court and as an added bonus we can get the local media coverage we are craving.

Hey, according to Pat Forde and the guys over at RushTheCourt.net, this was a justified display of emotion by our students. If an mid-major knocks off a BCS-conference team, you may rush the court. The exception to the rule is if you are a Gonzaga or Memphis.

So let's just enjoy what the moment was and build on it rather than poo-poo about how we should have "acted like we've been there"

--- Exactly.... games are supposed to fun.... and if student do that after a win once in a while (they have all friends at TT ) they get to brag about it later to them ... Besides.. More fun... more attendence.

MORE FLAGS MORE FUN! Works for Six Flags..

I don't see how this is an issue, the students did it, the students showed up and were loud the whole entire time and did not leave early, and more importantly the students are not saying it was unnecessary. For once in my time at UNT people are actually talking about basketball in class instead of how we don't win football games. This should be a non-issue.

MORE FLAGS MORE FUN! Works for Six Flags..

I don't see how this is an issue, the students did it, the students showed up and were loud the whole entire time and did not leave early, and more importantly the students are not saying it was unnecessary. For once in my time at UNT people are actually talking about basketball in class instead of how we don't win football games. This should be a non-issue.

If that many students show up and are that loud the whole year, I could care less if they rushed the court after every game.

Now, that's a new tradition that may get us on SportsCenter.

• Upvote 2

thank you CBL for calling me a cutie. that made me blush haha. guys i understand the argument about getting caught in the excitement of the game. this is really not about fans rushing the court for me. this is about expectations. i am an Aggie fan. yes, shoot me. I sat there for years watching the Aggies blindly support RC Slocum as the program fell into something that seemed like college football but it wasn't really. they were elated by wins over schools like OK State but didn't expect to play with schools like Texas and OU. A&M was a team that had won the Big 12 conference just a few years before but their fans just started accepting the small stuff.

are we A&M? heck no do we have fans that will blindly follow us, win our lose? HELL no There is a correlation though between what happened there and what CAN happen here with our basketball program. dont get content and confuse a mole hill for a mountain. instead of being pissed and calling for RC's head when they got drilled by OU, they came to expect it. I just don't want that to happen with our basketball program and unfortunately being too elated over a win against Tech can start a slippery slope

I can second your cuteness, but that is a stupid analogy. If we're rushing the court for top 100 wins 5 years from now, feel free to cut and paste this post at that point.

Also, fun side note, Aggie basketball fans get ripped for rushing the court all the time -- even as an emerging tournament mainstay: http://www.burntorangenation.com/2009/3/9/786268/ncaa-tournament-projection (see the comments)