Early Ncaa Picks

KRAM1

In looking at today's (11/12/10) Wall Street Journal there is an

early look" at projected NCAA Tournament seedings for March 2011.

Our very own NORTH TEXAS is listed as a number 15 seed along with fellow 15 seeds Princeton, Morgan State and wait for it...Sam Houston State. AND, above 16 seeds Maine, Quinnipiac, Bucknell/Jackson State and UNC Asheville/Lipscomb as the two "opening round games".

Hows that for an early shout out to the MEAN GREEN? NCAA bound....not too early to be thinking of those tickets! At least the Wall Street Journal doesn't think it's too early.

GO MEAN GREEN!

In looking at today's (11/12/10) Wall Street Journal there is an

early look" at projected NCAA Tournament seedings for March 2011.

Our very own NORTH TEXAS is listed as a number 15 seed along with fellow 15 seeds Princeton, Morgan State and wait for it...Sam Houston State. AND, above 16 seeds Maine, Quinnipiac, Bucknell/Jackson State and UNC Asheville/Lipscomb as the two "opening round games".

Hows that for an early shout out to the MEAN GREEN? NCAA bound....not too early to be thinking of those tickets! At least the Wall Street Journal doesn't think it's too early.

GO MEAN GREEN!

The Wall Street Journal = Las Vegas Odds Makers

If we're a 15 in this expanded tourney we, and the rest of the Belt, has had a disappointing season

So if WKU gets a bid, they get an 10-13 seed, yet we get a bid and we are alwasy projected at 15. I know WKU has a lot of tradition and a winning streak in NCAA play over the last few years, but really? If we do what I think we will this year and the best we get is a 14 seed or worse, that will make absolutely no sense to me. But, then again, it made no sense to me last year that we got a 15 seed against the top #2 seed, while SHSU got Baylor, and UH got a 13 seed and played Maryland.

So if WKU gets a bid, they get an 10-13 seed, yet we get a bid and we are alwasy projected at 15. I know WKU has a lot of tradition and a winning streak in NCAA play over the last few years, but really? If we do what I think we will this year and the best we get is a 14 seed or worse, that will make absolutely no sense to me. But, then again, it made no sense to me last year that we got a 15 seed against the top #2 seed, while SHSU got Baylor, and UH got a 13 seed and played Maryland.

Its about RPI and quality wins. Our RPI last season slated us exactly where we ended up...a 15...thats due in large part to some really down years from our conference mates. Add to that the lack of any really marquee wins and we didn't do much to give the selection committee cause to move us up.

WKU was a 12 both in 08 (USA was an at-large 10, BTW) and 09...I know in one of those years they beat then #3 Louisville, and had some other quality wins.

To the eye, yes...we were better than our 15 seed. Just need to prove it out on paper a bit more this year.

• Upvote 1

I read the article & wondered why with JJ's team are they still ranked a #15.

Can you explain that ranking?

GMG

Because it's probably written by some Jay Bilas-esque d-bag who doesn't realize how good Sun Belt hoops actually is.

If the top 5...UNT, WKU, FAU, USA and ASU perform to expectations, meaning a couple of notable wins over big conference schools, roughly 20 wins a piece...the middle tier...UD, ULL, MTSU, maybe FIU win the games they should, maybe pull of a few notable upsets...and the bottom...UALR, ULM, Troy don't completely wet the bed I'd say the SBC champ should be a 12 or a 13 again this season.

• Upvote 1

If we're a 15 in this expanded tourney we, and the rest of the Belt, has had a disappointing season

I read something the other day that said in the "old system" North Texas would have been a 13 or 14 seed, but are a 15 seed in the new system.

So, that leads to the question, how does a 13 or 14 seed in the old system equal a 15 in the new system?

I read the article & wondered why with JJ's team are they still ranked a #15.

Can you explain that ranking?

GMG

Because we haven't convinced anyone we are better than that.

As pointed out elsewhere, last year we had no quality wins and two embarrassing losses (FIU at home and Boise).