End Of Night Thoughts - Vito Blog

MeanGreen61

No matter how one looks at this, the way Mike Canales rallied the troops was darn impressive. Canales took the same team that has done pretty much nothing for the last few years, was missing some key players and was starting a quarterback whose father just got fired as the head coach and somehow managed to go on the road and beat a conference rival.

FULL BLOG ARTICLE

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/10/end-of-the-night-material-2.html

No matter how one looks at this, the way Mike Canales rallied the troops was darn impressive. Canales took the same team that has done pretty much nothing for the last few years, was missing some key players and was starting a quarterback whose father just got fired as the head coach and somehow managed to go on the road and beat a conference rival.

FULL BLOG ARTICLE

http://meangreenblog...material-2.html

The part where Vito compares it to the JJones situation at Memphis is an excellent analogy. Memphis needed a name coach for bball and they got it. That didn't mean Jones wasn't a great coach - it just meant Memphis needed to go a different direction at the time.

Canales is intriguing - he just may not be for us at this time. Man his postgame speeches are awesome though.

The part where Vito compares it to the JJones situation at Memphis is an excellent analogy. Memphis needed a name coach for bball and they got it. That didn't mean Jones wasn't a great coach - it just meant Memphis needed to go a different direction at the time.

Canales is intriguing - he just may not be for us at this time. Man his postgame speeches are awesome though.

Man I made this same analogy in the Chat room yesterday... great minds must think alike LOL - it is a good analogy to our situation.

Still love the idea of Chico and Leavitt teaming back up again but hey if Coach Chico wants to win out and get us into a bowl game all bets are off!! Very happy for the team and Coach Chico!

could canales separate himself from the dodge era? is he known enough to non attached fans to make them want to come buy tickets? not yet

If this team is successful from here on out, then I would say "yes" to your first question. As for your second question, the only coach who is going to get the non attached fan here is Leach and they ain't going to happen. Leavitt, Bower, Franchione, etc will get the fringe fans. But the only thing we can count on attracting the non attached fan is WINNING and winning consistently while playing exciting football.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, I've mentioned Leavitt to several non-NT football fans and their reaction is always "who?" Once you mention South Florida they know who you're talking about, but my point is that Leavitt is not necessarily a name coach who will boost ticket sales with his name. But whomever you bring in, if they win a couple of games, will get butts in seats.

As for your second question, the only coach who is going to get the non attached fan here is Leach...

Leach is the only Coach that I am asked about by people who are not attached to NT. I have had several of them claim that they would buy season tickets or even Club Seats if Leach was hired.

Leach is the only Coach that I am asked about by people who are not attached to NT. I have had several of them claim that they would buy season tickets or even Club Seats if Leach was hired.

leach would be like the circus coming to town. captain bligh was well known too. no thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

is he known enough to non attached fans to make them want to come buy tickets? not yet

Jeez, who cares. I swear some of you have such self-respect issues that you will only be happy if some "name" coach comes in here so you'll feel like a big shot when your d-bag friend at work hears about it. That was the reason so many liked Dodge to begin with. I want a coach who wins because it makes my supporting the team fun. I could care less if anyone one else has heard about him so I can feel good about myself at work. I don't need approval from d-bags.

• Upvote 3

Jeez, who cares. I swear some of you have such self-respect issues that you will only be happy if some "name" coach comes in here so you'll feel like a big shot when your d-bag friend at work hears about it. That was the reason so many liked Dodge to begin with. I want a coach who wins because it makes my supporting the team fun. I could care less if anyone one else has heard about him so I can feel good about myself at work. I don't need approval from d-bags.

Agreed. Shoot Canales, or any other assistant for that matter, could be the next Urban Meyer. I'm sure their were some Utah fans that were upset when he was hired and didn't know him from Adam, but look how that turned out.

Yes, Canales may be the next Urban Meyer. I don't think anyone here thinks that might not be the case. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of plugging someone like Canales with no head coaching experience into a program that is running smoothly. The group here has won 7 games in 4 years. I don't enjoy coach talk because it seems to bring out the worst in people. So much bitterness and hate. My heart tells me we need to bring in someone with experience building a program or leading a very successful program. Then when that person moves on you can bring in the next up and coming coach and the transition isn't so jarring.

Unknown-Untested-Project Hire To Open An $80,000,000 Football Palace That Needs Fans In It & All Luxury Suites Sold?

Do you think an emotional pep rally post-game against the worst team in the NCAA is a deal-maker at the University of North Texas?

Moses, move over, we may soon join you in your 40 year walk in the wilderness!

GMG!

Mark, this will get me my red numbers to go ahead of you. :P

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1