Dodge On Unt's Situation

Brett Vito

However, anyone who knows anything about UNT and has been on campus in the last 4-5 years knows that things are changing at UNT and changing for the better. I expect we will all see a growing fran base

Mark it. KRAM made his call for the new coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, 40k would have been a nice size, but I guess we'll just have to live with it until we start winning and averaging 30k. The smaller stadium won't help so much with home and home against some of the big boys, and it won't help so much with our future dream conference affiliations, but I guess I'm just happy that we finally went out and built one. Hard to bitch too much about it.

Yes, 40k would have been a nice size, but I guess we'll just have to live with it until we start winning and averaging 30k. The smaller stadium won't help so much with home and home against some of the big boys, and it won't help so much with our future dream conference affiliations, but I guess I'm just happy that we finally went out and built one. Hard to bitch too much about it.

24k for a home opener of a team that was 8-43 the previous 4 years?

If this team ever enters the preseason as a conference favorite in the new stadium, it will be sold out every game. Should have built it 40k expandable to 60k, but I understand the financial constraints.

24k for a home opener of a team that was 8-43 the previous 4 years?

If this team ever enters the preseason as a conference favorite in the new stadium, it will be sold out every game. Should have built it 40k expandable to 60k, but I understand the financial constraints.

As far as the expansion, we can expand it as far as we need to if we have the money. There are ways to pretty easily expand that stadium to 70,000 should we ever need it, you just keep building. Many of the high capacity stadiums today have been expanded over and over again.

I wanted the stadium to at least be a little bigger as well, but it does not matter unless we consistently fill it at whichever low 30k number we end up with. The 2,000 seat difference between us and smu is irrelevant.

Anyone who thinks UNT's new stadium will have anything but a positive effect on UNT's recruiting is just delusional. That stadium is great and it will be beautiful when completed. The capacity will not be an issue...filling it up with fans and supporters will be the issue. If recruiters will use anything against UNT it will be the size of the fan base and turnout and the fact that historically, even the students, do not support athletics at UNT.

Remember, it has been Fouts...that is something an opposing coach can use against UNT. That IS GONE!

However, anyone who knows anything about UNT and has been on campus in the last 4-5 years knows that things are changing at UNT and changing for the better. I expect we will all see a growing fran base and a growing donor base...all in good part to the new stadium and all the other great things going on at UNT these days.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Regardless of how new or nice our stadium is, no one is going to want to come here and get there ass handed to them every week.

That 33,500 capacity in Boise is killing thier recruiting.

Great point and point taken especially since it is my all time football model for our alma mater, ie, Boise State U...I guess it just feels like we are getting a brand new Jagaur that someone has keyed a hidious looking scratch from front to back whereas we didn't get to drive a perfect car out of the showroom floor. :)

Then GreenMachine said in his above post: "I was very disappointed when the 32K was announced. I went to the AC several weeks ago and viewed construction from the deck." If 32,000 is the actual number, then this alum would be one happy camper, but I've just heard more of the lower numbers than the 32K number is all such as......

.....I've heard anywhere from 28,000 permanent seats to what I think a recent DRC article said would be "around 30,000." UH's initial stadium will be I think 40,000 wasn't it and TCU's beaut' will be 40,000. I would hope we'd think we will compete against these kind of schools for recruits once we get out of this Sun Belt'esque mindset and get more regional about our future.

OK, :rolleyes: I know this whole seating thing is probably #101 on a list of 100 other priorities and problems we need to overcome right now at dear ol' alma mater and we are all esctatic, ie, besides ourselves about this new stadium no matter how many it will initially seat, but jeez, folks, we are hardly located at some hard to get to collegiate outpost in the wilderness with no expected growth but rather our school will soon have 40,000 students in a metro area (of which Denton County is included) of aboaut 8 million citizens."

Can someone link a number that actually shows 32,000 seats? If not, that's OK.

Next subject, please... B)

GMG!

We had a good first year where almost everyone stuck together. The Vizza thing was where the cracking started.

I would say the shellacking at OU started it, and it began to spiral when Meager was pulled after the 600+ yard game at SMU.

Dodge had some nice, experienced players on the roster when he arrived. He chose to give more playing time to younger players. He chose it, and he's reaped it ever since.

I only feel bad for Vizza in that he was part of two QB controversies. He bailed out on the second one. He should have been redshirting the 2007 season and playing his junior year now. He never should have had to worry about Riley Dodge even sniffing the field at QB...because he never would have at the other 119 FBS schools.

Vizza got out of the way so that the Dodge's could live their poorly imagined fantasy of father coaching son at QB in college. It was a disaster from many standpoints - our won-loss record, QB recruiting, and Riley's own health.

Dodge just didn't understand the game at this level. Neither did his assistants. Football isn't football at all levels, as he supposed and tried to convince us (...and...some here believed him!).

Dodge will be gone soon. We hope RV will do the correct thing and have a guy hired by December 1. We need a head coach in the houses of JUCO QBs, OLs, and DLs before the mid-December JUCO signing date. We need more experienced players to go through spring practice. We're going to be thin enough with graduations to simply hope JUCO guys qualify during the summer and can actually play once they are on campus in August.

Time is of the essence for us. The 2011 season can be as big as the Tulsa turnaround from 1-11 in 2002 to 8-5 and a bowl in 2003 if RV makes the right hire and makes it fast!

• Upvote 3

What would Dodge otherwise say? He's not saying anything out of the ordinary. It is just generic speak if you ask me.

I completely understand how you can see that.

It's not like he would come out and say, "Eff these losers, I can't wait to get out of this dump! Thanks for the cash suckers! Peace!" He has never demonstrated that attitude. EVER.

Then there's the coach speak... I do think there's some of that in there simply because he probably shouldn't be completely candid with how he is feeling right now.

However, I really do think he MEANS what he is saying, and that's why he has all kinds of respect from people (myself included), and well wishes for his future.

Nice guy? Absolutely. Good coach? Not yet.

I really do think he'll be a good coach one day. Probably division 1 caliber, but that time is not now. The University of North Texas paid a steep price for his learning curve. So I would expect no bitterness from him at all. I think he recognizes the situation just like we do. I bet if he had it to do over again, he would have this coaching staff assembled in 2007.

• Upvote 1

Great point and point taken especially since it is my all time football model for our alma mater, ie, Boise State U...I guess it just feels like we are getting a brand new Jagaur that someone has keyed a hidious looking scratch from front to back whereas we didn't get to drive a perfect car out of the showroom floor. :)

Then GreenMachine said in his above post: "I was very disappointed when the 32K was announced. I went to the AC several weeks ago and viewed construction from the deck." If 32,000 is the actual number, then this alum would be one happy camper, but I've just heard more of the lower numbers than the 32K number is all such as......

.....I've heard anywhere from 28,000 permanent seats to what I think a recent DRC article said would be "around 30,000." UH's initial stadium will be I think 40,000 wasn't it and TCU's beaut' will be 40,000. I would hope we'd think we will compete against these kind of schools for recruits once we get out of this Sun Belt'esque mindset and get more regional about our future.

OK, :rolleyes: I know this whole seating thing is probably #101 on a list of 100 other priorities and problems we need to overcome right now at dear ol' alma mater and we are all esctatic, ie, besides ourselves about this new stadium no matter how many it will initially seat, but jeez, folks, we are hardly located at some hard to get to collegiate outpost in the wilderness with no expected growth but rather our school will soon have 40,000 students in a metro area (of which Denton County is included) of aboaut 8 million citizens."

Can someone link a number that actually shows 32,000 seats? If not, that's OK.

Next subject, please... B)

GMG!

Does it really matter?