T-Shirt Alumni

KRAM1

I heard, what I think, is the best ever name for those who like to wear t-shirts and other branded items of colleges and/or universities they have never attended. In listening to Tony Casillas on a show before the recent Texas-OU game he referred to the game as bringing out the most "T-SHIRT ALUMNI" of any game very season. T-Shirt alumni are, according to Mr. Casillas, those who have never attended or graduated from a college or university but wear the teams branded items and act as if they attended/graduated. PRICELESS!

Seems that UNT has a good many of these types all across the campus and within its alumni and former student base. Folks who wear Texas, OU, OSU, Florida, TCU, etc., etc. t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts and on and on while shunning those from their actual university...UNT! We see this in Denton and Dallas all the time.

Now, many of the T-shirt alums from Texas, OU, OSU, etc. give big bucks to the schools, so Tony wasn't necessarily "dissing" t-shirt alums, just mentioning that they turn out in force for the Texas-OU game every year. In the case of UNT, I would think T-shirt alum would take on a bit of a different (and less positive) connotation.

"T-Shirt" alums...gotta love the concept!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I get it to a point, but then how many threads are on this board about people trying to bring friends from work with no association to UNT to games in hopes of turning them into fans? If those t-shirt alumni wore green, I doubt there'd be much of a problem. While I smirk at the near religious zealousness with which people follow the Longhorns, you've got to give their marketing department at least some credit for creating the brand that allows a $400 million annual budget.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I get it to a point, but then how many threads are on this board about people trying to bring friends from work with no association to UNT to games in hopes of turning them into fans? If those t-shirt alumni wore green, I doubt there'd be much of a problem. While I smirk at the near religious zealousness with which people follow the Longhorns, you've got to give their marketing department at least some credit for creating the brand that allows a $400 million annual budget.

and while I agree with most of what you say....we don't even need to get those involved in our games that didn't go here. Most of us have co-workers who went to school at UNT but wore TU or OU shirts on Friday...and even Saturday. Targeting those individuals by shaming them (my favorite tactic) is what needs to be done first and foremost.

• Downvote 1

I can't wait until the University of North Texas has "T-Shirt Alumni". I want fans of UT, A&M, OU, et al. to make references to their hatred of "UNT douches".

One day....

K...I get hated on all the time by those "T-shirt Alumni" that he spoke about earlier for daring to wear my school's tshirt on such a popular douche day as Texas-OU. The audacity that I must have to wear a UNT shirt on a day that UT plays astounds most. The second you utilize the term "t-shirt alumni" they all shut up though...so if you ever find yourself in that position just drop it on em.

If you see someone wearing an Aggie shirt, they probably went to Texas A&M. If you see someone wearing a Longhorn shirt, they probably went to Walmart.

Probably a bit of truth to that. But the A&M secret decoder ring is always the dead giveaway. Ever been in a room when two aggies meet for the first time? They join rings like the Wonder Twins.

This is also a bit of a pet peeve of mine...

So many people at my work wear the UT, OU gear when they went to community college in Colorado or something... They act like it is life or death with their t-shirt school...

I wear the gear of 2 schools...

UNT - attended from 1986-1992

UTEP - attended 1993-1994 (graduated 1994)

I had kind of forgotten about UNT for a few years living in El Paso, but when I returned to the Metroplex I returned to my old haunts and am back in the fold...

I heard a funny saying about this topic recently. It is probably common but I hadn't heard it before.

If you see someone wearing an Aggie shirt, they probably went to Texas A&M. If you see someone wearing a Longhorn shirt, they probably went to Walmart.

That's a t-shirt A&M students and fans wear.

So what I am supposed to wear this Saturday? The shirt of the school I got my undergrad degree from or the one I got my Masters from? Neither is UNT.

And what about my dad? The shirt from where he went to school or where he taught?

Or should I just make sure I don't sit close to KRAM1 on Saturday? :P

I went to a college game when Alabama and Okie Light played in the Indy Bowl a few years ago, and my friends were wearing Okie Light shirts. One went to community college for a few years, the other drinks at a school in Arkansas. I wore UNT stuff and they were like why are you wearing that. I told them, well when you take out loans for college, you should probably represent the school that has all of your money. Regardless of how bad we are doing, I still wear my green with pride.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Somewhere I missed the law that said you had to graduate from a school to be a FAN of it's football team.

We need all the fans we can get, I don't care if they are so called "T Shirt Alumni" or went to UT, OU, A&M, Talledaga Tech, or never saw the inside of a college classroom.

YOU DONT NEED A DEGREE TO BE A FAN

• Upvote 1

Somewhere I missed the law that said you had to graduate from a school to be a FAN of it's football team.

We need all the fans we can get, I don't care if they are so called "T Shirt Alumni" or went to UT, OU, A&M, Talledaga Tech, or never saw the inside of a college classroom.

YOU DONT NEED A DEGREE TO BE A FAN

Noone disputes this....but when a Tshirt Alumni slams someone wearing a shirt from a non "T-shirt Alumni" type school (that they actually attended) as if to degrade them or be condescending...then it is game on on the taunting of them in return.

• Upvote 3

Noone disputes this....but when a Tshirt Alumni slams someone wearing a shirt from a non "T-shirt Alumni" type school (that they actually attended) as if to degrade them or be condescending...then it is game on on the taunting of them in return.

Couldn't agree more. +1

So what I am supposed to wear this Saturday? The shirt of the school I got my undergrad degree from or the one I got my Masters from? Neither is UNT.

And what about my dad? The shirt from where he went to school or where he taught?

Or should I just make sure I don't sit close to KRAM1 on Saturday? :P

Ok, let's be clear about this...i did not mean to say that one should NOT ever wear a shirt for a team they are a fan of if they did not attend the school. It's a reference Tony Casillas made regarding fans who wear the shirts all the time but never set foot on the campus as a student and probably graduated elsewhere. He indicated the T-Shirt alums often give BIG BUCKS to OU...so he was not totally knocking the t-shirt alum folks and neither am I...my only irritation comes from UNT students and Alums who continually wear the colors of other colleges and universities in lieu of wearing UNT gear...their actual university. I have no problem if you want to wear UNT gear to a UNT game or anywhere else for that matter. One can adopt a college/university for very good reason....just burns my "you know what" when I see so many UNT alums and students wearing other university gear and acting like they attended, etc.

So. Lurker...wear your green proudly to the game and everywhere else for that matter. One can "wise up" and realize they should have gone to UNT in the first place...or maybe they have moved to the area and have grown to love and support UNT or maybe they or their significant other works for UNT, etc., etc.

And, sit anywhere you please...it will be great to have you "in the house Saturday" cheering for the Mean Green!

I think there was a time when many people couldn't go to college for one reason or another such as WWII or the Depression, but supported the main team of their particular state. I know my 85 year old Grandpa is from Oklahoma and that is who he pulls for in football. Of course I have never seen him in any college sports attire.

I have a guy at work that is a big fan of the Longhorns but graduated from UNT. When he talks about his school or degree I always ask him to specify if it his real one or his "pretend" one. I've told him many times that he and his wife are terrible alums.

On a positive note I am starting to see more and more people wearing Mean Green gear. More than I ever have before.

My boss grew up in Ohio as a huge Ohio St. fan...

He attended Kent St. (was even on the quad the day of the shootings), but says he never went to a game while a student there and has no idea what conference they currently play in or anything about the program...

I SORT of understand that...

I grew up in El Paso a huge UTEP fan and it wouldn't have mattered where I went to college, UTEP was already in my blood...

But, I can't imagine attending a school and not supporting their teams... It is completely alien to me... In my opinion it is a HUGE part of the college experience...

After graduating from UTEP I was accepted for grad school at Mississippi St. and I was all ready to support the Bulldogs every Saturday...

I guess what bugged me was seeing the thousands of t-shirt fans that came out of every nook and cranny when UT won their National Championship...

These people would strut around with their gear on and you just knew they didn't have clue 1 about the football team or the university...

But they sure were quick to point out how crappy UNT or UTEP or anyone else was compared to their "beloved" Longhorns...

That kind of thing kind of pisses me off...

• Upvote 1

I wear my NT stuff with pride in Los Angeles all the time. My co-workers think I'm on the school payroll as much as I talk us up. :lol: I also own a UCLA t-shirt that I wear when I goto their games (about 1 or 2 games a season either in football or basketball). I can't say I have a huge attachment to them, and they probably wouldn't even rank as my 2nd favorite college team to root for in either of the 2 big sports. I don't feel bad about kinda supporting the Bruins since I got the shirt for free and I have my teeth taken care of by UCLA dental school. I figure by the end of the day UCLA may get more of my money than NT.

Damn teeth. ;)

Edited by CMJ

You just tell them that, "it must be real easy to put on a shirt from a school you never went to and only do it when the team wins. I bet you do the same with your kids, too."

• Upvote 1

I grew up in El Paso a huge UTEP fan and it wouldn't have mattered where I went to college, UTEP was already in my blood...

Which is why UNT needs to focus on the north Texas area to increase its fan base. I grew up in Denton county. NTSU was the first college I had any contact with, and that was when Fry was really hammering the area getting the word out. One of my most vivid memories--and I've mentioned this before--is of the replica Flying Worm football helmets that served as lighting fixtures in the McDonald's right there at I35 and NT Drive (or whatever it's called now). I have always kept an eye on UNT football since that impression.

But, I can't imagine attending a school and not supporting their teams... It is completely alien to me... In my opinion it is a HUGE part of the college experience..

Agree there.

I guess what bugged me was seeing the thousands of t-shirt fans that came out of every nook and cranny when UT won their National Championship...

These people would strut around with their gear on and you just knew they didn't have clue 1 about the football team or the university...

But they sure were quick to point out how crappy UNT or UTEP or anyone else was compared to their "beloved" Longhorns...

You will always have knuckleheads like this. For every sport in every society. Baseball, soccer, politics, whatever. It's why you saw the O stickers on people's cars as Obama was steamrolling to the nomination. It's why you now see the tired "Don't Blame Me, I Voted For McCain" stickers or "Bend Over, Here Comes The Change" on cars now.

In 1988 you couldn't get away from Notre Dame and Miami gear anywhere you went. To me, it was 100 times worse than seeing a Texan support a Texas school. If the Rangers somehow win the WS, you will see gear everywhere. If they flame out in the next week, it will disappear quickly, because few will wear their Divisional Playoffs shirts very long. And then you'll see north Texans wearing gear from whoever won the Series.

Last year I went to work after the MNC and saw Alabama gear. People want to identify with winners. It's as simple as that. I chuckle a little when I hear the angst about UT gear, because in the early 90's, you couldn't find it anywhere other than central Texas, and you sure didn't see people wearing it very often. When Texas has a down cycle--and they will--it will dry up again.

UNT needs every T-shirt fan they can get. At games, and out wearing their gear. Whether they sniffed Denton or not. And I hope they give millions to the AD. The alumni need to wag the dog at UNT, and until they do that, the program will struggle.

Edited by LongJim

Ok, let's be clear about this...i did not mean to say that one should NOT ever wear a shirt for a team they are a fan of if they did not attend the school. It's a reference Tony Casillas made regarding fans who wear the shirts all the time but never set foot on the campus as a student and probably graduated elsewhere. He indicated the T-Shirt alums often give BIG BUCKS to OU...so he was not totally knocking the t-shirt alum folks and neither am I...my only irritation comes from UNT students and Alums who continually wear the colors of other colleges and universities in lieu of wearing UNT gear...their actual university. I have no problem if you want to wear UNT gear to a UNT game or anywhere else for that matter. One can adopt a college/university for very good reason....just burns my "you know what" when I see so many UNT alums and students wearing other university gear and acting like they attended, etc.

So. Lurker...wear your green proudly to the game and everywhere else for that matter. One can "wise up" and realize they should have gone to UNT in the first place...or maybe they have moved to the area and have grown to love and support UNT or maybe they or their significant other works for UNT, etc., etc.

And, sit anywhere you please...it will be great to have you "in the house Saturday" cheering for the Mean Green!

Just picking on you KRAM. I routinely pick on UNT students for being "lost" because of the university on their clothing. But I will be there Saturday with green on - pick a shade - it will be green - or black - or white. But no red!