Impressive Showing By Smu

Harry

Depth will get them in the 2nd half but SMU can be proud of this team and they will be stout in CUSA. Remember TCU is #4 in the nation.

TCU is big and fast And SMU is small and fast. That defensive end and discuss thrower SMU has is 6-8 and pretty athletic. TCU QB Dalton has been disappointing tonight thus far but watch out he will be hungry in the second half.

Padron is getting beaten up and still keeps getting up. I hope that he will not get hurt and SMU needs to be careful about that.

Watching SMU tonight gives me hope for our future. They will lose tonight but they have turned their program around in a pretty short amount of time.

One other thing I was watching Dale Hansen pregame from Ford and he was interviewing the SMU AD Orsini. Hansen posed the question, isn't playing Texas schools what you should be doing all the time? Orsini agreed with the standard we love our conference caviat and mentioned that they had scheduled games with other Texas schools even mentioning North Texas by name...that was pretty cool and it sounds like he gets it.

One other thing I was watching Dale Hansen pregame from Ford and he was interviewing the SMU AD Orsini. Hansen posed the question, isn't playing Texas schools what you should be doing all the time? Orsini agreed with the standard we love our conference caviat and mentioned that they had scheduled games with other Texas schools even mentioning North Texas by name...that was pretty cool and it sounds like he gets it.

I liked that too. I thought he was going to leave our name out but he came through.

For a game I didn't want anyone to win, it was a good game. But I don't think TCU is as good as their ranking. I think Air Force and maybe Utah will beat them this season.

It was a good crowd, with lots of purple. Can SMU even come close to matching that attendance again this season? I don't think so.

The crowd SMU had for Washington State was embarrassing. If we got Washington State at Fouts, North Texas would easily attract a crowd of 22 to 24k or more. Just my opinion.

Edited by Side Show Joe

Awesome. Way to get a moral victory for one half and get blown out on national TV. SMU has made it.

They led the #4 team in the country in the 3rd quarter. Their other loss was by 7 in Lubbock.

UNT just lost 24-0 to Army.

Not really in a position to be taking shots at SMU football.

But I don't think TCU is as good as their ranking. I think Air Force and maybe Utah will beat them this season.

I think TCU has way too many athletes for anyone in the MWC to handle.

Edited by Fitzyrection
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Anyone trying to discredit SMU last night is disillusioned as they would eat our lunch right now. They even filled up the stadium (it was SMU fans by majority) so they took away the attendance problem we can poke fun of for this week.

How happy was this board after we lost 35-10 to Clemson? We weren't nearly as close in that game as SMU was to a much better squad last night. Quit yer bitchin' and give them their dues

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Anyone trying to discredit SMU last night is disillusioned as they would eat our lunch right now. They even filled up the stadium (it was SMU fans by majority) so they took away the attendance problem we can poke fun of for this week.

How happy was this board after we lost 35-10 to Clemson? We weren't nearly as close in that game as SMU was to a much better squad last night. Quit yer bitchin' and give them their dues

I'll give them their due.

Screw them.

• Upvote 4

That is a bunch of bull. The line was 17, they lost by 17 but it should have been by 31 except for two picks thrown by Dalton. TCU was uninspired to play them. And I didn't see a majority of red in the crowd, as much purple as red and the others beige. :blink:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thank you for your courage. :clapping:

I'll give them their due.

Screw them.

The only team that is getting screwed badly right now is NT Mean Green football.

That is a bunch of bull. The line was 17, they lost by 17 but it should have been by 31 except for two picks thrown by Dalton. TCU was uninspired to play them. And I didn't see a majority of red in the crowd, as much purple as red and the others beige. :blink:

Should have been 31? Please that's crazy. Nobody was expecting SMU to win but don't diminish they played a pretty good game. Dalton threw those interceptions...it's that simple. You can't discredit that from SMU.

• Upvote 1

You can't discredit that from SMU.

I just did. :P

Smut got a TD from a tipped ball into the hands of another receiver. A bad punt snap bounched off the shoulder of a blocker and the punter takes it for a first down. All the bungles went Smut's way. Yes the margin of loss should have been at least 31.

• Upvote 2

Saw the game up close last night on the sideline. I do think The Frogs didn't play their best, but the SMU defense played a solid game against a QB who takes very good care of the ball and forced 2 turnovers.

I know nobody here wants to hear it(and I try not to think about it)but the Ponies are light years ahead of us right now. Their talent at this point is marginally better, but their coaching staff is superior to TD and his staff. The ability for the position coaches to make in game adjustments and have the kids execute it properly is what makes that team able to hang with a top 5 opponent.

I go back to it again and again...why on this green Earth did RV allow Dodge to roll with a full HS staff in year one? We were all blinded by the excitement of what Todd was supposed to bring, but we should have all known better when we saw his initial staff. Sad really, because when we play the Ponies in few years they will be even better. Bah!

I go back to it again and again...why on this green Earth did RV allow Dodge to roll with a full HS staff in year one? We were all blinded by the excitement of what Todd was supposed to bring, but we should have all known better when we saw his initial staff.

At that time, and similar to now also, UNT was hungry to make a splash with local media and recruits.

We wanted a coach that knew North Texas, with Texas ties, high school connections, an exciting passing offense, that would only require a salary of $250-350K. Dodge fit the bill, and he had previously coached at NT . He sold RV on his "football plan" that would convey to any level of competition and I don't think RV questioned or cared who he named as assistants.

In hindsight, Dodge was a good hire as far as media relations, school PR and cleaning up the program with players grades and going to class. His downfall will be inexperienced assistants around him, too much focus on offense and not on defense, learning to be a HC on the college level...delegation of responsibility, and just flat out lack of wins.

• Upvote 2

Saw the game up close last night on the sideline. I do think The Frogs didn't play their best, but the SMU defense played a solid game against a QB who takes very good care of the ball and forced 2 turnovers.

I know nobody here wants to hear it(and I try not to think about it)but the Ponies are light years ahead of us right now. Their talent at this point is marginally better, but their coaching staff is superior to TD and his staff. The ability for the position coaches to make in game adjustments and have the kids execute it properly is what makes that team able to hang with a top 5 opponent.

I go back to it again and again...why on this green Earth did RV allow Dodge to roll with a full HS staff in year one? We were all blinded by the excitement of what Todd was supposed to bring, but we should have all known better when we saw his initial staff. Sad really, because when we play the Ponies in few years they will be even better. Bah!

It is sad but what you have to remember is at that time Dodge seemed the best option or bang for the buck we had when you factor in the finances. Dodge brought a name and credibility in Texas immediately and it fit within our budget. Had we tried to get a name college coach like we are discussing now it would have likely cost 2-3 times more than what we paid Dodge. Where we messed up was not keeping the college coaches we had who wanted to be here, ie Kenny Evans, Mike Bugar, Eric Russell...quality guys that could have helped Dodge incredibly. That was the decision that perplexed me. It wasn't a money decision, because those guys were willing to take what they had been paid. Had Dodge had some seasoned assistants in place with him we might not be in the situation we are now. I don't fault Dodge for being loyal to his comrades but UNT should have held the line and said Todd you can't accomplish this on your own or at bare minimum demanded that half of the staff be comprised of college experienced coaches. That was, in hindsight a fatal error that has since been corrected but will set us back for some time unfortunately.

Have you ever heard of the if you don't like it then don read it strategy?

No, please explain to me how that works..

We haven't played SMU in four years, won't play them again for another two years and play in a totally different conference so why do we need a pregame thread and a post game thread every week about them? It really gets embarrassing .

You know SMU fans are somewhere laughing reading this stuff knowing that we have "UNT fans" that are more loyal to SMU than their own school.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2