Channel 8 Investigates Southlake Carroll

UNTflyer

Yup most of the powerhouse high school football programs always do shady things. I remember back in the day, great athletes always moved to Plano to play football at Plano Senior High School. Southlake Carrol wouldn't be any different.

I'm guessing that you mean that families of great atheletes "moved to Plano to play football". I agree that families do move for purposes of their sons playing for top high school football programs, in Texas and elsewhere. There's nothing necessarily illegal with that; violations of rules regarding player eligibility, including those for transfers, are the issue. It appears that the story being pursued by Channel 8 is whether the Athletic Director from Southlake performed due diligence in determining whether the subject player would be eligible to play, according to rules of the UIL and the corresponding State of Oklahoma agency. My understanding of Texas UIL rules is that a student athlete transferring from one high school to another must sit out a year before being eligible to play varsity sports. As someone mentioned, his family might have been better off having him transfer to a private school, where typically there is no such waiting period.

It sounded like they moved because he was ineligable to play in Oklahoma because he played at a school that was not in his district. They didn't go into that part of the story much as far as why he was playing in a different school in OK.

I think the main issue was if his family had actually moved to Southlake or not. They followed his dad around with a camera and it sure didn't look like they had moved. Their house in OK had been listed, buy not until the reporter had started asking questions to the Southlake AD in August. The supposedly moved back in April.

It looks to me like the AD filled out all the paperwork after getting all of the information from the family. I think the family was probably the ones who were the most misleading. You could say you are moving to Southlake, get a house, list your old house, and all the other requirements and then after you get all if the guideline boxes checked, "change your mind due to circumstances". Of course, there are two side to every story and the story was pretty biased that the AD was doing something shady when it looked like he was confused by the whole thing.

I just think that investigative reporter on channel 8 comes across as a arrogant jerk......felt like kind of a shock journalism piece.......but having said that, the cards do seem to be against Southlake.

I'm guessing that you mean that families of great atheletes "moved to Plano to play football". I agree that families do move for purposes of their sons playing for top high school football programs, in Texas and elsewhere. There's nothing necessarily illegal with that; violations of rules regarding player eligibility, including those for transfers, are the issue. It appears that the story being pursued by Channel 8 is whether the Athletic Director from Southlake performed due diligence in determining whether the subject player would be eligible to play, according to rules of the UIL and the corresponding State of Oklahoma agency. My understanding of Texas UIL rules is that a student athlete transferring from one high school to another must sit out a year before being eligible to play varsity sports. As someone mentioned, his family might have been better off having him transfer to a private school, where typically there is no such waiting period.

UIL states it is illegal to move for athletic purposes. Picking up your family to move is hard to prove, but still illegal according to UIL if it was due to athletics.

Some were families but some came to live Uncle Gary or Aunt Bertha but we all know it was for the purposes for athletics. All I am saying is that powerhouse HS programs will sometimes if not frequently circumvent rules etc. Plano Senior High School was always under investigation and there were always rumors floating around with illegal stuff going on.

Some were families but some came to live Uncle Gary or Aunt Bertha but we all know it was for the purposes for athletics. All I am saying is that powerhouse HS programs will sometimes if not frequently circumvent rules etc. Plano Senior High School was always under investigation and there were always rumors floating around with illegal stuff going on.

This. I was a student at Granbury High School when Leta Andrews (women's BB head coach) got in trouble for something similar. A star basketball player moved to Granbury to stay with a 'relative' while some family stuff got worked out at home or something. She played the season, but when the UIL started asking questions, things got remarkably better at home and she went back to enjoy her senior year with her friends.