A Scenario I Wouldn't Mind

emmitt01

There is talk on the frogs board that BYU will still go indy, leaving the MWC with 10 teams, and the conference will then invite Houston and SMUt. If TCU is satisfied in this newly configured mountain west it's possible. This would be very good for us I'd think. With no DFW presence CUSA might look our way and I'd think La Tech might get the other invite.

As much as I'd like to be in a conference with local college SMU, and failing that, a conference with Houston, i agree. This would leave us as the bell cow in the DFW area and still able to play conference games agains regional teams Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, and El Paseo. Not my favorite senerio, but one I'd accept.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

I've always heard that 10 is NOT an optimal number of teams for a league. If you go round robin in football scheduling....each year some teams have 4 home conference games...others have 5. But 12 teams allow you to do two-6 team divisions. In those, every team plays everybody from their division...and 3 teams from the other division--giving them 8 conference games (4 home, 4 away).

BTW...I know most of you know this. Just pointing it out....that there is a good reason for a league to want to go 12....instead of staying at 10.

There is talk on the frogs board that BYU will still go indy, leaving the MWC with 10 teams, and the conference will then invite Houston and SMUt. If TCU is satisfied in this newly configured mountain west it's possible. This would be very good for us I'd think. With no DFW presence CUSA might look our way and I'd think La Tech might get the other invite.

Why would smut get the invite over UTEP? I can see Houston, but not smu. What is the reasoning behind that move?

Why would smut get the invite over UTEP? I can see Houston, but not smu. What is the reasoning behind that move?

I think you are right there. Other than TCU, none of the other schools have any history with SMU why all know UTEP. UTEPs facilities are better, they bring a new TV market and a program with a stronger history over the last 20 years. Plus, TCU has repeatedly said they don't want to be in a conference with SMU anymore.

From what I have seen, La Tech would need to pay $5 million to leave the WAC

According to the La Tech fans on their board, they have an exemption from the $5million exit fee if they go to CUSA. I would think that completely defeated the idea of the $5 million fee, but that is what a number of their fans are writing.

I think you are right there. Other than TCU, none of the other schools have any history with SMU why all know UTEP. UTEPs facilities are better, they bring a new TV market and a program with a stronger history over the last 20 years. Plus, TCU has repeatedly said they don't want to be in a conference with SMU anymore.

UTEP would be the better invite along with Houston. I don't see TCU supporting Smut as a conference mate...they wouldn't even support Baylor for the WAC.

UTEP has much better attendance than Smut in football and basketball, history with many MWC teams, a better stadium, and new media area in El Paso (TCU already has DFW covered).

UTEP would be the better invite along with Houston. I don't see TCU supporting Smut as a conference mate...they wouldn't even support Baylor for the WAC.

UTEP has much better attendance than Smut in football and basketball, history with many MWC teams, a better stadium, and new media area in El Paso (TCU already has DFW covered).

I certainly have to agree with you about TCU not supporting SMU as a conference mate and UTEP's attendance for the two major sports is far better.

However, when you look at the total football history, SMU is far ahead of UTEP in the all-time ranking. In other words SMU has more prestige to the presidents who decide on conference membership. UTEP's football record and their academics are near the bottom of the FBS ladder. UTEP is vastly superior in basketball but football drives the bus.

TCU does not cover the DFW area. They are a factor but so is SMU...and North Texas. In fact, if you can add as many additional viewers in the DFW market as you would in El Paso with no additional cost, that is a plus.

Edited by GrayEagle

I think some of the MWC schools....don't like UTEP for some reason. I mean....they could have included them in the conference to begin with....but didn't. Heck they took Wyoming over UTEP....El Paso has a bigger population than the whole state of Wyoming.

I think some of the MWC schools....don't like UTEP for some reason. I mean....they could have included them in the conference to begin with....but didn't. Heck they took Wyoming over UTEP....El Paso has a bigger population than the whole state of Wyoming.

At the time the "split" took place UTEP was not doing anything (I mean nada) to improve it's programs. However, they have done a lot in the past few years to make improvements for all areas.