Nt All-Time Busts

BIG DAWG

Thanks Mean Green 93-98

Interesting, when you check the site and the write-up of their spring game and a write up halfway through spring parctice, you see not one mention of Woody, but plenty of praise for a QB named Davis. What's up with that? I hope Woody is seeing playing time as #1 and that it's simply a given that he's #1 and no need fopr a mention.

Thanks Mean Green 93-98

Interesting, when you check the site and the write-up of their spring game and a write up halfway through spring parctice, you see not one mention of Woody, but plenty of praise for a QB named Davis. What's up with that? I hope Woody is seeing playing time as #1 and that it's simply a given that he's #1 and no need fopr a mention.

Last year he split starting time with another QB. Both QB's were used in each game they played in. It is almost like Evans learned how to coach QB's from Dickey.

Todd Dodge.

As for Woody, he transferred out after Dodge tried to convince him to move back to DB or 4th on the depth chart at QB. Woody gave up BCS offers to play here. One of the most memorable games for me the last decade was NTs win over SMU when El Presidente came in and single handidly won the game. I'll never forget that and will always have a special place for WW in my football memories.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Milton Collins of Class B Blooming Grove (Texas) High School...Probably Hayden Fry's most heralded recruit while at NT. Collins had (I think) well over a 100 letters from major universities across the USA wanting his services as fullback. I felt so sorry for this guy when he couldn't cut the mustard as advertised; hellsbells, he couldn't even lick the mustard jar for that matter.

Fry and UNT sure got a bunch of statewide publicity, though, with the Milton Collins signing on that snowy, February day back in 1977.

In Class B, he was a man among boys, but it didn't turn out that way at the major college level for sure.

PS: I got to see future UT great Steve Worster of Bridge City play a bi-district game at Clear Lake, Texas, and I was hoping years later Milton Collins would have been (at least) a Worster-type of a bruising fullback--he wasn't.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Milton was a very nice and respectable guy. This didn't help him on the field! It was obvious that he was from a small town. He pledged the same social organization that I was a member of (my last year) Milton's main problem were the guys ahead of him. All-Time Greats Bernard Jackson & Malcolm Jones (The Carter connection) Additionally, Bobby Daniels of Dallas Roosevelt. Both of these guys fell under the recruiting radar. Had they came out of HS a year or two later, they would have been Blue Chip recruits in Texas. Anyway, any other era, Milton would have been more productive at running back.

Milton was a very nice and respectable guy. This didn't help him on the field! It was obvious that he was from a small town. He pledged the same social organization that I was a member of (my last year) Milton's main problem were the guys ahead of him. All-Time Greats Bernard Jackson & Malcolm Jones (The Carter connection) Additionally, Bobby Daniels of Dallas Roosevelt. Both of these guys fell under the recruiting radar. Had they came out of HS a year or two later, they would have been Blue Chip recruits in Texas. Anyway, any other era, Milton would have been more productive at running back.

Mike Jones was one if not the leading rusher in the nation in 1976 or 1977. Anyway your post, reminds me of the NT at UT game where NT had Mike and Malcolm Jones and UT: Ham, Jam and Lam Jones. The announcers had a rough day. Lam Jones looked faster than any player I have ever seen on the football field