Texas St. And Utsa Are Getting "shown Interest" By Wac

At least their responses are a lot more level-headed than the nutz at the UTSA site.

4 days ago utsagrad1998 wrote:

This is tremendous news. Thank you UTSA Tailgaters for getting the interview! It is a bit defeating to hear that the WAC is actually spending time evaluating a Texas State addition. It makes sense as it would bolster the overall conference position, and bring a natural rivalry immediately. Honestly a WAC invite seems more realistic than a C-USA or MWC nod right now. Trust me I would take any of those over a Sunbelt. In fact, I might start that thread over in the forum section soon.

4 days ago kidd wrote:

Take what you can GET!! Something tells me we will end up in C-USA. Heck we might be in already??

3 days ago UTSA RULES! wrote:

Get out of here Texas Waste pussycat...This is a UTSA forum...The most hilarious part is when we will receive our FBS invite before you guy's and really put your program to shame. Good luck in the sunbelt. GO RUNNERSSS!

3 days ago HoustonRunner08 wrote:

southwest texas will get a invititation to sunbelt while we go straight to the big 12 to replace nebraska GOOO RUNNERRRRSSS!

Yes, the TSSM folks are a LOT more rational than the UTSA ones were.

I liked the comment about the teams needing to win some football and basketball games this year.

Of course as to why the SA Express didn't get the interview, I bet they didn't ask for one. Wonder how much their sports editor thinks the general public really cares about UTSA or TSSM.

At least their responses are a lot more level-headed than the nutz at the UTSA site.

4 days ago utsagrad1998 wrote:

This is tremendous news. Thank you UTSA Tailgaters for getting the interview! It is a bit defeating to hear that the WAC is actually spending time evaluating a Texas State addition. It makes sense as it would bolster the overall conference position, and bring a natural rivalry immediately. Honestly a WAC invite seems more realistic than a C-USA or MWC nod right now. Trust me I would take any of those over a Sunbelt. In fact, I might start that thread over in the forum section soon.

4 days ago kidd wrote:

Take what you can GET!! Something tells me we will end up in C-USA. Heck we might be in already??

3 days ago UTSA RULES! wrote:

Get out of here Texas Waste pussycat...This is a UTSA forum...The most hilarious part is when we will receive our FBS invite before you guy's and really put your program to shame. Good luck in the sunbelt. GO RUNNERSSS!

3 days ago HoustonRunner08 wrote:

southwest texas will get a invititation to sunbelt while we go straight to the big 12 to replace nebraska GOOO RUNNERRRRSSS!

Wow....fairly cocky for guys without a football team as of yet. They would be lucky to even get the Southland Conference. "Good Luck in the Sunbelt"??? If only you could be so lucky. Why on God's Green Earth would CUSA ever give UTSA a spot before UNT? Have you seen the lack of facilities down there? Texas State has much better facilities than does UTSA. My money goes with ourselves getting into CUSA (two yrs from now) and Texas State taking our place in the Sunbelt. UTSA gets division IIA ...where they belong.

Wow....fairly cocky for guys without a football team as of yet. They would be lucky to even get the Southland Conference. "Good Luck in the Sunbelt"??? If only you could be so lucky. Why on God's Green Earth would CUSA ever give UTSA a spot before UNT? Have you seen the lack of facilities down there? Texas State has much better facilities than does UTSA. My money goes with ourselves getting into CUSA (two yrs from now) and Texas State taking our place in the Sunbelt. UTSA gets division IIA ...where they belong.

UTSA football stadium: http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/Alamodome.jpg

I'm far less concerned with the wild hopes and dreams of UTSA and Texas State than I am with our own fans and alumni being afraid these programs are passing us by- even as we build a 70+ million dollar stadium and continue to develop Eagle Point. Good grief, people... UTSA has yet to play a down of football and Texas State's stadium STILL looks like a HS facility, even with the upgrades.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1

I'm far less concerned with the wild hopes and dreams of UTSA and Texas State than I am with our own fans and alumni being afraid these programs are passing us by- even as we build a 70+ million dollar stadium and continue to develop Eagle Point. Good grief, people... UTSA has yet to play a down of football and Texas State's stadium STILL looks like a HS facility, even with the upgrades.

TRUE!!!!!!

Living in SA gives one a particular view of UTSA. But frankly and in indecipherable language...

They're nuts.

The thinking here is that SA should have an NFL team, and since they should have that, they should also have a BCS team. What's more, they generally think that the State will pay its athletic budget, and that around $7 million a year is all they need to run a program (according to our new favorite newspaper, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, we will be up to $33 million once the full force of the fees kicks in).

The Alamodome is an advantage, but they don't understand that when it's the City of San Antonio getting the gate, parking and concessions, it's not gonna help UTSA one bit. Additionally, I've had a few people say that the city's so big, they can sell out if only 5% of the city comes to their games - which of course they'll do (as a reference, that logic means that we have 335000 in average attendance at our games.)

People forget non-Spurs sports history quickly around here. They forget that Trinity plays IAA games in an empty stadium, that St. Mary's had a TAA (pre-NCAA) team for a year but had to drop due to no support, and that Incarnate Word draws a host of 1,700 fans a game.

on't even ask them how the attendance will be after losing to Nicholls 45-0 at the end of the season - they haven't considered losing a game...

Edited by Legend500

Living in SA gives one a particular view of UTSA. But frankly and in indecipherable language...

They're nuts.

The thinking here is that SA should have an NFL team, and since they should have that, they should also have a BCS team. What's more, they generally think that the State will pay its athletic budget, and that around $7 million a year is all they need to run a program (according to our new favorite newspaper, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, we will be up to $33 million once the full force of the fees kicks in).

The Alamodome is an advantage, but they don't understand that when it's the City of San Antonio getting the gate, parking and concessions, it's not gonna help UTSA one bit. Additionally, I've had a few people say that the city's so big, they can sell out if only 5% of the city comes to their games - which of course they'll do (as a reference, that logic means that we have 335000 in average attendance at our games.)

People forget non-Spurs sports history quickly around here. They forget that Trinity plays IAA games in an empty stadium, that St. Mary's had a TAA (pre-NCAA) team for a year but had to drop due to no support, and that Incarnate Word draws a host of 1,700 fans a game.

on't even ask them how the attendance will be after losing to Nicholls 45-0 at the end of the season - they haven't considered losing a game...

100% Agree....of course UTSA will use the Alamodome....but it isn't theirs and does nothing for the credibility of the school. Their "Media Market" is ranked 37th in the nation...kinda ironic for a city that is larger than Dallas (City proper wise). Just look at all the cities with higher Market Ratings than San Antonio and then you help me understand how SA can actually think that with no pigskin having ever been tossed with their uniform on that they are a shoe-in for a higher Conference than the Sunbelt (when they would be lucky for the Southland). Anyone who honestly thinks that the school can surpass us within the next ten years is way too paranoid and needs to have a little faith. Here is their current facilities Facilities . Also..the school is still Tier 3...and no CUSA and/or MWC Conference is going to allow them in with that type of educational record. Combine that with the fact that the endowment is at 55 Million (less than UTA)...it ain't gonna happen. Rest easy my fellow Green Bloods...if anyone is moving on up to the East Side...it's UNT baby.

100% Agree....of course UTSA will use the Alamodome....but it isn't theirs and does nothing for the credibility of the school. Their "Media Market" is ranked 37th in the nation...kinda ironic for a city that is larger than Dallas (City proper wise). Just look at all the cities with higher Market Ratings than San Antonio and then you help me understand how SA can actually think that with no pigskin having ever been tossed with their uniform on that they are a shoe-in for a higher Conference than the Sunbelt (when they would be lucky for the Southland). Anyone who honestly thinks that the school can surpass us within the next ten years is way too paranoid and needs to have a little faith. Here is their current facilities Facilities . Also..the school is still Tier 3...and no CUSA and/or MWC Conference is going to allow them in with that type of educational record. Combine that with the fact that the endowment is at 55 Million (less than UTA)...it ain't gonna happen. Rest easy my fellow Green Bloods...if anyone is moving on up to the East Side...it's UNT baby.

Having attended several basketball games around town, UTSA's facilities are probably third, with St. Mary's (1-AA Heartland) being a practical palace. Wolff Stadium (which they list for some reason) is closer to every other school in the city than it is to UTSA (20 minute drive, at least). Intramural fields as major facilities won't get you out of the Southland.

As far as academics are concerned - don't even bother with the "tier" system. It's horribly inaccurate, and has a history of humorous flaws. The best one was when they listed Princeton has having the best law school in the nation. 2 years in a row. Unfortunately, Princeton doesn't have a law school.

Having served on a law school admissons committee, I can tell you that everyone uses the non-profit Carnegie Classifications (which are free online). UTSA is two steps down from UNT, but most of the CUSA is one step down from UNT, so that doesn't really add into the equation.

They're nuts.

Trinity is non-scholarship Division 3, and let's not forget how El Paso has jumped up and supported UTEP football in recent years. UT-SA is nothing now, but they are a threat. That is one reason why we need to move up in any way we can. Sometimes I just get tired of watching history repeat itself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Trinity is non-scholarship Division 3, and let's not forget how El Paso has jumped up and supported UTEP football in recent years. UT-SA is nothing now, but they are a threat. That is one reason why we need to move up in any way we can. Sometimes I just get tired of watching history repeat itself.

Trinity is Division III now after dropping down because of the loses they incurred trying to play college sports in the San Antonio market.

You can seriously compare El Paso and San Antonio - have you even been to both? There is a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar in SA, one of the top tourist destinations in the state. Riverwalk, museums, the Alamo, two theme parks, multiple high schools with Texas 5a and previously 4a football championships, the Spurs, etc. Compared to El Paso where you can watch UTEP or the beheadings across the river. UTSA has a challenge getting coverage in the SA media while in El Paso covering UTEP give people relief and a well needed diversion.

How is history repeating itself?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Trinity is Division III now after dropping down because of the loses they incurred trying to play college sports in the San Antonio market.

You can seriously compare El Paso and San Antonio - have you even been to both? There is a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar in SA, one of the top tourist destinations in the state. Riverwalk, museums, the Alamo, two theme parks, multiple high schools with Texas 5a and previously 4a football championships, the Spurs, etc. Compared to El Paso where you can watch UTEP or the beheadings across the river. UTSA has a challenge getting coverage in the SA media while in El Paso covering UTEP give people relief and a well needed diversion.

How is history repeating itself?

History could repeat itself by our continuing to miss out on opportunities for advancement. And yes, I've been to both El Paso and San Antonio, as I have lived in both cities for extended periods of time. How about you? And yes again, UTSA has trouble getting coverage in the San Antonio media, but maybe that has something to do with the fact that they do not even have a football team and play other sports in a mediocre conference? Or did UTSA surreptitiously create a FBS program while no one was watching? Btw, thanks for your Chamber of Commerce speech on the qualities of San Antonio. I never would have known they had such things.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

They're nuts.

Hmm...that mindset/sense of entitlement, especially as it relates to the expectations of governmental financial support, coupled with a lack of understanding fundamental economic rules, seems awfully familiar to me.

On a side note, I saw that shunned 2010 SMU recruit, Jeremy Hall, will be attending UTSA on a scholarship and will be playing football and baseball for the Roadrunners.

• Upvote 1

If you think it's hard getting media attention in Denton, you should try getting it when you're 75 minutes south of DKR - there is the reason why UTSA (and Trinity, IWU and STMU) have all had trouble getting any attention beforehand, and why the Runners will again.

UTSA may have no team yet, but they are doing something Texas State is not. They are filling up their home schedule with teams I'd like to see in Denton.

So far they have home games with:

Houston

Kansas State

Arizona

Arizona State

Baylor

Colorado State

La Tech

Virginia

Edited by NT80

I don't really think you will see most if not all those teams not actually come in.

It's obvious San Antonio as a destination is the draw. Much like Orlando, it is a good road trip for fans and players plus a recruiting hotbed for coaches. I would expect UNT soon to be on their schedule sometime in the near future too. As a UNT fan when looking at easy roadtrip travel and fun, I'd pick San Antonio over any current SBC destination.

UTSA will be pushed up into the FBS if for no other reason just because of their location and facility at that location. I believe the scheduled teams want to go to San Antonio (a vacation road trip). I wouldn't be surprised if CUSA was watching their progress very closely. :ph34r:

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's obvious San Antonio as a destination is the draw. Much like Orlando, it is a good road trip for fans and players plus a recruiting hotbed for coaches. I would expect UNT soon to be on their schedule sometime in the near future too. As a UNT fan when looking at easy roadtrip travel and fun, I'd pick San Antonio over any current SBC destination.

UTSA will be pushed up into the FBS if for no other reason just because of their location and facility at that location. I believe the scheduled teams want to go to San Antonio (a vacation road trip). I wouldn't be surprised if CUSA was watching their progress very closely. :ph34r:

Sorry, but I don't beleive UTSA will live up to their hype and your expectations.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Having attended several basketball games around town, UTSA's facilities are probably third, with St. Mary's (1-AA Heartland) being a practical palace. Wolff Stadium (which they list for some reason) is closer to every other school in the city than it is to UTSA (20 minute drive, at least). Intramural fields as major facilities won't get you out of the Southland.

As far as academics are concerned - don't even bother with the "tier" system. It's horribly inaccurate, and has a history of humorous flaws. The best one was when they listed Princeton has having the best law school in the nation. 2 years in a row. Unfortunately, Princeton doesn't have a law school.

Having served on a law school admissons committee, I can tell you that everyone uses the non-profit Carnegie Classifications (which are free online). UTSA is two steps down from UNT, but most of the CUSA is one step down from UNT, so that doesn't really add into the equation.

---That tier system is very flawed and in many cases a total joke. I have read that law school evaluation on Prineston before and they had nothing but a prelaw program at the time. Besides evaluations are more meaningful when looking at various departments individually and not the university as a whole.

---The WAC wanting UTSA or Texas State is very telling..... they are very desparate..... stay away from there....for many reasons.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UTSA may have no team yet, but they are doing something Texas State is not. They are filling up their home schedule with teams I'd like to see in Denton.

Houston

Kansas State

Arizona

Arizona State

Baylor

Colorado State

La Tech

Virginia

--- Any chance they would lose to UTSA... nope....looks like an automatic win... and in a large town with a large stadium so they may get a very good gate fee.

Sorry, but I don't beleive UTSA will live up to their hype and your expectations.

My expectations? I have no expectations of their success on the field against anyone. I do believe they are a growing competition for the eye of conferences we want to be in and opponents we want to schedule. Why can't UNT sign a home/home with Virginia and Colorado State??

Houston

Kansas State

Arizona

Arizona State

Baylor

Colorado State

La Tech

Virginia

When will they play their conference games ? Some of those OOC's ain't gonna happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hmm...that mindset/sense of entitlement, especially as it relates to the expectations of governmental financial support, coupled with a lack of understanding fundamental economic rules, seems awfully familiar to me.

On a side note, I saw that shunned 2010 SMU recruit, Jeremy Hall, will be attending UTSA on a scholarship and will be playing football and baseball for the Roadrunners.

We know he will be playing baseball for certain!