Whatever Happened To The Ozone Hole?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100506/sc_livescience/whateverhappenedtotheholeintheozonelayer

Gotta kram everything into that global warming catagory, don't we.

I guess this shows that it could take close to 100 years to undo our impact on our environment or even yet, no impact at all. All that work to stablize the hole over the outh pole and now the ozone layer over the north pole is thining ... and scientists can't understand what is really going on up north.

Interestingly, recent studies have shown that the size of the ozone hole affects the global temperature. Closing the ozone hole actually speeds up the melting of the polar ice caps, according to a 2009 study from Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research.

:o

Edited by UNTFan23

I guess this shows that it could take close to 100 years to undo our impact on our environment or even yet, no impact at all. All that work to stablize the hole over the outh pole and now the ozone layer over the north pole is thining ... and scientists can't understand what is really going on up north.

ohmy.gif

My theory is that the recovery of the ozone layer has actually caused global warming. Just about as scientific as the global warming research. laugh.gif

My theory is that the recovery of the ozone layer has actually caused global warming. Just about as scientific as the global warming research. laugh.gif

That hasn't necessarily been argued per se, but I have read scientific studies that thought the aeresols that were likely causing the hole in the ozone layer, were also cooling agents, that counteracted carbon emmissions, etc.. - hence causing a zero sum gain.

There was a special on the Ozone Hole and holes, it aired a few years ago on the Discovery Science Channel and they were saying that ozone holes at both poles were a naturally occurring phenomena. They indicated that aerosols were unlikely to cause problem for the ozone layer. They discussed things like upper atmosphere lighting Sprites and jets doing damage and other natural variables like magnetic fields . They said from ice records the holes have come and gone hundreds/thousands of times over the history of the earth. I am sure it is all man's fault now but who's fault was it before man? At the end of the day most so called experts don't have a clue. So why even speculate that is man made now?

Edited by Green Gas
  • Upvote 3

Better question is what happened to Global Cooling?

Growing up, I was afraid I would have to fight off tribes of end times scavengers as I travelled the frozen steppes of West Texas to hunt roaving seal packs.

9jfy55.jpg

The Twilight Zone predicted the whole thing right here..... Global cooling and Global Warming nad the fear they would cause.... great episode from back in 1961