Unt Overlooked In Jjt Article

glick1980

This was Garry's response.....

Jozef:

Thanks for your e-mail. Your points about UNT's basketball success are well taken. That's why we included a story in Sunday's section about the growth and direction of the program. We've also had stories each day on UNT's games in the Sun Belt tournament and will have another one for tomorrow.

I believe Jacques' topic was a relevant one and a good point of discussion about two local programs. That doesn't diminish from UNT's success.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and your interest in SportsDay.

Garry Leavell

Sports Editor

The Dallas Morning News

This was Garry's response.....

Jozef:

Thanks for your e-mail. Your points about UNT's basketball success are well taken. That's why we included a story in Sunday's section about the growth and direction of the program. We've also had stories each day on UNT's games in the Sun Belt tournament and will have another one for tomorrow.

I believe Jacques' topic was a relevant one and a good point of discussion about two local programs. That doesn't diminish from UNT's success.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and your interest in SportsDay.

Garry Leavell

Sports Editor

The Dallas Morning News

If his article had been solely about SMU and TCU's programs, he would have had no need to mention UNT or UTA. But he approaches it from the perspective "the Metroplex doesn't have any good basketball teams." As such, his omission of the two is pretty glaring.

Not sure Garry (2 R's?) and I are reading the same article??

Really..?? That article sounded sort of like the old complement--- "She is really nice looking considering that she is a fat girl"..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Back in the early 90's, I was in charge of the Fouts Field press box for a Class 3A playoff game between Southlake Carrol and Frisco High. JJT was a lowly stringer (freelance writer) covering HS Football for the DMN. He showed up and demanded a front row seat, moving the writers from the Frisco, Southlake and Grapevine papers (the local beat writers). When I informed him that he was not in charge of the press box, he went into a rant about being with the Morning News and making a complete ass out of himself. I told him to take a seat in the back row and shut the F Up. His girlfriend was with him and I threw her out because she wasn't working press.

JJT wrote a letter to the SID complaining about his treatment. I told the SID about how he acted and he wrote back basically telling JJT to go F himself.

Taylor has always been a pompus ass, who couldn't write his way out of a paper bag. The only reason he still is at the DMN is his knees are dirty. All of the talented writers are at ESPNDallas.com, or are making a 6 figure salary, which is a lot more the Jean-Jaques' Fat ASS!!!

• Upvote 7

I just fired off a "friendly" email to JJT explaining the poor research on his part, as I hope you all did too.

The DMN has really dropped down in quality of it's writers and content the past several years. They should pay another $2 and hire some real writers, or find some 5th graders instead. B)

The most ridiculous article I've ever read. Did this guy just ride into town from France or what? Does he read his employer's newspaper, or does he watch the local news? If he did, he would know that this AREA is referred to as North Texas, and we are THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS! Maybe he just doesn't read the newspapers or know the area at all, and thinks that we are Division 3 or NAIA or something. AFTER we take home the trophy tonight, they owe us front page pub for that front page snub. Let's go GREEN!

Back in the early 90's, I was in charge of the Fouts Field press box for a Class 3A playoff game between Southlake Carrol and Frisco High. JJT was a lowly stringer (freelance writer) covering HS Football for the DMN. He showed up and demanded a front row seat, moving the writers from the Frisco, Southlake and Grapevine papers (the local beat writers). When I informed him that he was not in charge of the press box, he went into a rant about being with the Morning News and making a complete ass out of himself. I told him to take a seat in the back row and shut the F Up. His girlfriend was with him and I threw her out because she wasn't working press.

JJT wrote a letter to the SID complaining about his treatment. I told the SID about how he acted and he wrote back basically telling JJT to go F himself.

Taylor has always been a pompus ass, who couldn't write his way out of a paper bag. The only reason he still is at the DMN is his knees are dirty. All of the talented writers are at ESPNDallas.com, or are making a 6 figure salary, which is a lot more the Jean-Jaques' Fat ASS!!!

Deep Burn!!!!!

HaHaHa!!!!, I remember that! As you might remember who was spotting stat and downs for you that night?

Oh, crap that's funny thinking back on that? I had forgotten about it. So that was JJT? Damn you were funny when you got pissed off!

Rick

For that post +1

Rep added for the best story of the day! Thanks GB!

What I wrote to the Sports Editor of the DMN Garry Leavell @ gleavell@dallasnews.com

Garry,

I find the lack of coverage of the UNT participation in the SBC Championship Game Tonight very very discomforting to say the least. To add insult to injury your staff has decided that heavily promoting an article about TCU and SMU's lack of a basketball program that performs was more valuable to your readers than reading about UNT's season long accomplishments and potential tournament appearance decided tonight. With over 100,000 Alumni in the DFW area, the 4th largest school in Texas is just up the street and many consider Denton to be as part of DFW as is Rowlett or Grapevine. How could you justify burying the story of UNT over this coulda, woulda, shoulda story of two schools that combined do not have the active enrollment of UNT? I find it very uncouth to have made this decision which has obviously (see the comments on the story) disturbed many of your readers. JJT is already considered by many to be a controversial figure but his article has placed the nail in the coffin for my opinion of him as a true local news writer. Some facts about UNT's season that should be brought to reader attention are as follows:

1.) Second Tourney visit (potentially) in 4 yrs.

2.) Johnny Jones is in his 7th year as a coach and we have now had over 4 yrs in a row of 20+ win seasons

3.) We beat OSU on our turf last year and had a very formidable game against top 25 ranked TAMU this year (outscoring them second half)

4.) We set a school record in most games won in a season

5.) Most of our talent returns next year for another round of a great season

Please ensure that tomorrow's headlines incorporate a least a little bit of enthusiasm for DFW's largest school and their hard-earned and triumphant season of basketball.

Thanks so much,

Jozef Foerch

I gegree, very well said!!