Not A Bad Second Year For Gt's Paul Johnson...

FirefightnRick

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...son_paul00.html

Prior to the start of the 2008 season, Sports Illustrated projected Georgia Tech to finish 3-9 and the ACC media picked the Yellow Jackets to finish fourth in the Coastal Division. However, Johnson directed Tech to a 9-4 record, a share of the Coastal Division title and a Chick-fil-A Bowl berth. Johnson's first Yellow Jacket team beat three nationally-ranked opponents - Florida State, Miami and Georgia - over the final four games of the regular season. The win over Georgia snapped a seven-year losing skid to Tech's in-state rival.

Not only did he and his staff install completely new offensive and defensive schemes, but Johnson inherited one of the nation's youngest rosters, which included 76 freshmen and sophomores. The last one-third of the season, 16 of Tech's 22 starters were freshmen or sophomores. He also took over a program low in scholarship numbers, well below the maximum of 85, the lingering effects of distant NCAA penalties.

It seems ever since North Texas told Georgia Southern's Paul Johnson he wasn't as good as a guy who had never coached in any Div I football in his life, that he's done nothing but win, everywhere he goes. In his second season, with Chan Gaily's players, he finishes the year with an ACC Championship, a BCS Orangebowl appearance and an 11-3 record.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I guess the point in your series of "Such and such a coach did quite well in x number of years threads" is that we should expect more at this point in the Dodge era. As I recall, you were among those cheering the Dodge hire (as I was) when it was made. What do you think that we as North Texas football fans could or should do to facilitate a better hire when the next opportunity comes along?

I guess the point in your series of "Such and such a coach did quite well in x number of years threads" is that we should expect more at this point in the Dodge era. As I recall, you were among those cheering the Dodge hire (as I was) when it was made. What do you think that we as North Texas football fans could or should do to facilitate a better hire when the next opportunity comes along?

Dodge fit most if not all of our needs at the time of his hire: would create a local if not national media buzz, knew NT's situation, could recruit DFW and Texas, entertaining offense (passing), winning coach, good PR face and person for the football team (no pirates!), could spur donations and ticket sales, and fit our salary restraints.

If we were to do it again what would/should we change? Keep all of the previous requirements, plus much more college level coaching experience, college experienced assistants, larger salary structure, innovative coach but able to tailor his plan to team strengths while still flexible enough to make in-game changes as needed...... Or Urban Meyer without the health issues. :rolleyes:

Oh that's simple: Stop with the excuses and demand better.

Rick

I think we've tried simple; I was hoping you'd provide something like the requirements you would (now that simple didn't work) impose for a UNT head football coach, a few examples of actual or emerging candidates, and how we could come up with any additional funding sources, if you thought that was necessary.

I think we've tried simple; I was hoping you'd provide something like the requirements you would (now that simple didn't work) impose for a UNT head football coach, a few examples of actual or emerging candidates, and how we could come up with any additional funding sources, if you thought that was necessary.

Some folks havent tried "simple" yet and are still riding the excuse machine, so I don't know what else I could offer that hasn't already been listed other than proof that you don't need 4 or 5 years to turn a program around.

We are out of excuses. It's time to win.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Some folks havent tried "simple" yet and are still riding the excuse machine, so I don't know what else I could offer that hasn't already been listed other than proof that you don't need 4 or 5 years to turn a program around.

We are out of excuses. It's time to win.

Rick

That is pretty simple. I wonder why it hasn't been thought of before. I've been thinking we need to take steps to improve our kicking game, but wait...I still don't know why that hasn't been thought of before.

Maybe Dodge will tank next season and we can fire him after 8 games and we pick up Leach, just how much $$$$$$ would that take?

Probably way more than we could ever afford, but if somehow we could "pony up" this could be our June Jones, provided he's willing to come here, which it seems like he might, wanting to re-establish himself, inherits team thats run the spread for a few years, new stadium etc. His hire alone would pack the stadium. I can dream can't I?

Edited by ntmeangreen11

Guest GrayEagleOne

Dream on, but I think that we're soooo far from ever getting Mike Leach it's beyond my comprehension. He will still get millions from Tech and, if it's like most buyouts, would be reduced by the amount that they earn from their new job. That, plus I don't think that he'd accept less than a BCS AQ hire would give me grave doubts.

My guess is that the next coach will make a minimum of $500,000 and with the increased revenue kicking in, might even go near the million dollar mark. That should attract some pretty good experienced coaches. So, whether it's Leach or another "name" coach I think that we'll be in good hands in the near future.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Dream on, but I think that we're soooo far from ever getting Mike Leach it's beyond my comprehension. He will still get millions from Tech and, if it's like most buyouts, would be reduced by the amount that they earn from their new job. That, plus I don't think that he'd accept less than a BCS AQ hire would give me grave doubts.

My guess is that the next coach will make a minimum of $500,000 and with the increased revenue kicking in, might even go near the million dollar mark. That should attract some pretty good experienced coaches. So, whether it's Leach or another "name" coach I think that we'll be in good hands in the near future.

I think the circumstances you mention have resulted in coaches like Terry Bowden at Northern Alabama, Larry Coker at UTSA, and Coach Fran being unemployed (and he has been interviewing). The coaching fraternity has been mentioned before, but what about the fraternity of athletic directors? Could Leach be perceived as more trouble than a lot of them will tolerate? I think he's good, and should coach in a position suited to his talents, but other talented coaches seem to have difficulty getting back to the "BCS AQ" level.

We don't have to lay out a million dollars to get a good coach here. I believe that that was one of the points that Rick was making in his post. We could have had Paul Johnson for what we ended up paying Dennis Parker. He would have won and we would have either upped his salary because we wanted him to stay while we went to the next level, or we would/could have made just a smart of a decision about hiring the NEXT UP AND COMING COACH at North Texas. Let me say this a clearly as possible.

ADMINISTRATIVELY, North Texas has been one of the most inept Universities in the nation regarding the issue of hiring a football coach. When it comes time to hire a new coach at North Texas, our administrators "wake up in a different world". It's like they are totally oblivious to the fact that North Texas is located in one of the most football crazy states in the union.

I think the circumstances you mention have resulted in coaches like Terry Bowden at Northern Alabama, Larry Coker at UTSA, and Coach Fran being unemployed (and he has been interviewing). The coaching fraternity has been mentioned before, but what about the fraternity of athletic directors? Could Leach be perceived as more trouble than a lot of them will tolerate? I think he's good, and should coach in a position suited to his talents, but other talented coaches seem to have difficulty getting back to the "BCS AQ" level.

This is why you have to love what North Alabama and UTSA did...they asked.

Everytime we start a coaching thread and pull out some names of former BCS school coaches, we get pooh-poohed. We can't afford them, they'd never come here, etc., etc., etc.

Look, alot of those guys have already made their retirement money at those bigger schools. But, they are still egotistical jerkoffs who think they can coach and will take jobs even at little places like Northern Alabama and start-ups like UTSA to get back in the game.

And, folks, South Florida's player-punching-coach-who-the-player-said-never-punched-him-but-just-grabbed-his-shoulder-pads is now out there:

Player says Leavitt didn't punch him: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4749780

Leavitt is out of a job anyway, so let's go get him for 2011: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/...r-south-florida

Leavitt is out of a job anyway, so let's go get him for 2011: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/...r-south-florida

Leavitt's a terrible human being, from the reports out here in Florida. No one wants to coach for him and he treats players and people at the school like crap. I'd hate to see UNT bring that guy on.

This is why you have to love what North Alabama and UTSA did...they asked.

Everytime we start a coaching thread and pull out some names of former BCS school coaches, we get pooh-poohed. We can't afford them, they'd never come here, etc., etc., etc.

Look, alot of those guys have already made their retirement money at those bigger schools. But, they are still egotistical jerkoffs who think they can coach and will take jobs even at little places like Northern Alabama and start-ups like UTSA to get back in the game.

And, folks, South Florida's player-punching-coach-who-the-player-said-never-punched-him-but-just-grabbed-his-shoulder-pads is now out there:

Player says Leavitt didn't punch him: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4749780

Here's my favorite part of another report.

University of South Florida head coach Jim Leavitt has become the latest coach to be fired amidst allegations of mistreating a player, according to ESPN.com. Leavitt, who started the South Florida football program from scratch in 1995, was fired early Friday morning.

He started from scratch in 95, and now South Florida is in the Big East? They were once as high as #2 in the nation? naaaah, our administration wouldn't be interesting in someone like that.

All scarcasm aside, if the North Texas administration is not going to make any sort of contact with this guy, at least profile him and look for someone just like him.....on their way up!

Leavitt's a terrible human being, from the reports out here in Florida. No one wants to coach for him and he treats players and people at the school like crap. I'd hate to see UNT bring that guy on.

Well Saint Dodge hasn't done very well with his good-guy routine. And, the player involved in the incident is defending Leavitt. So, there are two sides to every story. I'd say, if Dodge fails again in 2010, at least talk to Leavitt for 2011.

I sometimes think that not only the UNT administration but also most of our students and alumni have pretty low long term expectations. My goal for the team is to eventually win a national championship. There, I said it. However, even most UNT fans laugh at this bold proclamation. I don't expect this to occur in the next couple seasons, but I also don't see the good in aiming for anything less. TCU came damn close to getting there this year, and you only have to look back to the 2004 season to see a UNT team with a better record than TCU.

As for the short term, I'm not opposed to baby steps. However, I really hope they're for the right reasons. In other words, in any sport I can accept mediocrity (even very poor results) if there is viable evidence that more substantial outcomes are on the horizon. Sometimes, though, it's tough to tell if we are following a path with this vision or simply aren't willing or able to shoot for something greater.

I sometimes think that not only the UNT administration but also most of our students and alumni have pretty low long term expectations. My goal for the team is to eventually win a national championship. There, I said it. However, even most UNT fans laugh at this bold proclamation. I don't expect this to occur in the next couple seasons, but I also don't see the good in aiming for anything less. TCU came damn close to getting there this year, and you only have to look back to the 2004 season to see a UNT team with a better record than TCU.

As for the short term, I'm not opposed to baby steps. However, I really hope they're for the right reasons. In other words, in any sport I can accept mediocrity (even very poor results) if there is viable evidence that more substantial outcomes are on the horizon. Sometimes, though, it's tough to tell if we are following a path with this vision or simply aren't willing or able to shoot for something greater.

Amen to this.

If TCU can climb as far as they did, we can. But, in reality, Patterson has been there since 1998, first as DC, then head coach. He's been building there for 12 seasons now. And, the first three seasons he was there 1998-2000, weren't "rebuilding" years. They took a 1-10 team and won immediately with what Pat Sullivan left for them.

That's why I still believe the right coach and coaching staff can do it immediately at almost any program. The problem now for Patterson, as he's about to find out, is now the problem guys like Mack Brown and Bob Stoops have - fans expecting too much every season no matter what the circumstances.

Here's an example from KillerFrogs.com...Horned Frog faithful complaining that Gary Patterson's defense isn't as aggressive as it used to be! And, one saying that he misses "the old Patterson." No really. They just played in a BCS bowl and Patterson's not aggressive enough for them in his defensive scheme. :blink:

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index....howtopic=110018

Here's an example from KillerFrogs.com...Horned Frog faithful complaining that Gary Patterson's defense isn't as aggressive as it used to be! And, one saying that he misses "the old Patterson." No really. They just played in a BCS bowl and Patterson's not aggressive enough for them in his defensive scheme. :blink:

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index....howtopic=110018

LOL! Damn!

Rick