I Hope Todd Dodge Can Learn Intensity At A D1 Level

KingDL1

Blowout losses would indicate that the team has quite, which should not bode well for the coach. This would indicate that he has lost the team.

But, we all heard the UNT pr guys talk about this team was different. They believed, they had attitude, they wanted it. This year was going to be different. Finally a team that is buying into what Dodge is selling. These players have a new sense about them. Etc...

This season is the EXACT same as the ones previously. The next season will be the same. too bad we can't afford to get out of this hole.

By the way, i really like TD off the field. He cares about the conduct of his boys. I like that. Unfortunately, the on field coach is quite questionable. I think we can find someone who can do both. Louisville needs to do the right thing and get rid of kragthorp... so we can get him.

Edited by Travis

I really thought that this team would of come out with fire in their eys. A home game , fresh off a rare win while trying to build on something. With 4 games remaining and a chance to win out and end the season at a very respectable 6 - 6 I thought that this team would want that. I get tired head trying to think what this team / coaching is thinking.

I read the statistics that he looked up. Statistics only say so much. Many coaches are not successful early in their coaching careers because they will never be successful--they cannot lead, they do not have the football IQ, etc. But not every situation is parallel, and sometimes coaches enter the next level before they're ready. Todd Dodge clearly has a high football IQ, as observed by coaching greats such as Mack Brown and Bill Parcells. I just don't think he was ready to be a 1-A head football coach.

Nothing. I was not trying to suggest they will be. I think this team has experienced too much losing to get mentally prepared to win. I hope they prove me wrong.

Why? Based on what people have said on this board? RV said at the beginning of the season that he was going to evaluate TD at the end of the season, and needed to see clear improvement. Two wins may technically be improvement over last year, but I would think he expected progress beyond what we had in Coach Dodge's first year. One to two more wins may be all that it takes to keep him here. But if he loses out, especially with more blowout losses, I don't expect him back. I hope we don't have to find out.

The statistics ought to show you just how difficult of a situation and the likelyhood that Dodge will turn this into a winner. Sure there is the other side to the statistics or odds, but at some point you have to decide which ones you want to fall on. Dodge did some great things at Southlake, but before he was there, his teams were .500. I am not suggesting that we move him on, but I think if you bring him back we should be ready for two more years of what we have seen so far.

By the way, i really like TD off the field. He cares about the conduct of his boys. I like that. Unfortunately, the on field coach is quite questionable.

This is what is so frustrating. Dodge is everything Dickey wasn't off the field: positive, accessible, well liked by high school players and coaches.. I really was hoping for at least a .500 season and a good recruiting class to prove that Coach Dodge could do it at this level. Unfortunately, we are still waiting on him to win. We can't wait forever, or even another 2 years, for that matter. We need to start seeing some results.

Edited by UNT90

This is what is so frustrating. Dodge is everything Dickey wasn't off the field: positive, accessible, well liked by high school players and coaches.. I really was hoping for at least a .500 season and a good recruiting class to prove that Coach Dodge could do it at this level. Unfortunately, we are still waiting on him to win. We can't wait forever, or even another 2 years, for that matter. We need to start seeing some results.

Um let's see, Darrell was at nearly EVERY monthly fuction of the Chamber mixers (in fact most of his coaches were), he lived, ate and shopped IN the town of Denton. He would sit in a downtown barbershop and visit with you, so to say that Dodge is more accessible than Dickey, I might have to disagree.

Um let's see, Darrell was at nearly EVERY monthly fuction of the Chamber mixers (in fact most of his coaches were), he lived, ate and shopped IN the town of Denton. He would sit in a downtown barbershop and visit with you, so to say that Dodge is more accessible than Dickey, I might have to disagree.

I thought coach Dickey needed a couple classes on PR. I don't think he understood how what he said soured people. Contrary to what a lot of people here think, I never thought he hated the fans or media, I just think he badly mishandled how he motivated his teams from time to time.

One on one though, I thought he was a good guy to talk to.

Not trying to white wash his shortcomings however, I wish he ran a tighter ship, both on his players and his coaches, but there has been this myth created that DD wouldn't have spit on a fan if he was on fire, and its not true.

Remember how much more fun it was to complain about the coaching when we were winning 7, 8 or even 9 games anyway?

I thought coach Dickey needed a couple classes on PR. I don't think he understood how what he said soured people. Contrary to what a lot of people here think, I never thought he hated the fans or media, I just think he badly mishandled how he motivated his teams from time to time.

One on one though, I thought he was a good guy to talk to.

Not trying to white wash his shortcomings however, I wish he ran a tighter ship, both on his players and his coaches, but there has been this myth created that DD wouldn't have spit on a fan if he was on fire, and its not true.

Remember how much more fun it was to complain about the coaching when we were winning 7, 8 or even 9 games anyway?

I'll second this. DD, on the radio and TV, said some really stupid things (ie---'worst situation in the country...I know, I work here EVERYday'). But, in person, the guy was hard to not like. I remember sitting in the Fouts stands during scrimmages and having him come by to personally thank us for supporting the team.

I'll second this. DD, on the radio and TV, said some really stupid things (ie---'worst situation in the country...I know, I work here EVERYday'). But, in person, the guy was hard to not like. I remember sitting in the Fouts stands during scrimmages and having him come by to personally thank us for supporting the team.

I find it funny that when Darrell Dickey pointed out the obvious about the facilities, he was called negative. But, when Villareal and Dodge say the same thing, they are said to be helping.

Also, the intensity thing is something that was discussed on the VIP board before last week's game. KingDL started it there as well. It's a good discussion in light of the fact that many of us over there considered the ULM game to very winnable considering the circumstances of both teams in the weeks leading up to the game (UNT's seemingly improving offense versus an ULM team on a losing streak, with two quarterbacks battling injuries, and playing on the road).

Anyway, the gist of the thread ended up being that the ULM game was yet another chance for Todd Dodge to prove he could get this team prepared for a game with some meaning. Unfortunately, as with every other opportunity of the way to 5-28, the team came out flat. The only difference between ULM and the other games is that this time, we didn't at least rally at some point.

It's no secret that I'm not on board with the Todd Dodge experiment. But, again, I predicted they'd be 2-7 at this point, and that's what they are. Alot of what many of you think is negativity from me is simply reality. I never saw anything on the roster or in the lead up to the season that would lead me to believe that this team could win more than three game. I pegged them at 3-9.

I'm as eager and desparate as any of the rest of you for us to succeed again in the area of football. The difference remains that I can't just be told words and believe them. At some point, it has to show up on the field - and show up consistently. A win over ULM - or at least a fight - would have been signs of that.

Before the season, I predicted the that ULM would beat us 28-20. I really expected a dogfight. As I posted on the VIP board last week, there is no way that ULM has better athletes than we across the board. No way. It's simply not possible. So, I surmised that the X factor would be coaching - which coach would have his troops up for the battle.

More and more, though, I have to rethink it. ULM brought in a new defensive coordinator and began the season replacing its starting QB. Well, for whatever reason, their defense has responded to his switch to the 3-3-5. And, it's not like the guy came from a big league school. Dude was defensive coordinator for a year at New Mexico.

Before his stint at UNM, he was at UTEP - a school not known for stellar defenses. But, damn if he doesn't have have that defense giving up less than 24 a game in the Belt, and less than 28 a game overall! In his first season as DC.

You guys are always whining about "we don't have the money for this type of coach, we don't have the money for that type of coach." This guy ULM hired was a refugee from UTEP and UNM and he held us to 6 points - with players he didn't recruit and running a new, very unorthodox defense.

The excuses for Dodge's failure here have always been thin to me, but they're getting thinner. I'm also not defending Deloach anymore either. These guys aren't getting it done. And, you don't have to hire million dollar a year coaches to right the ship. It's proved over and over again in every other type of school you can name - public, private, big enrollment, small enrollment...it doesn't matter. This coaching staff isn't meshing with the players or itself in any consistent way.

My expectations were not that high for this season - not as high as many of you. But, I've got to tell you, if we lose to Army, lose all the remaining games and finish 2-10 and Dodge stays...we're in a heap of trouble. Too much is going right for too many other schools in state.

Baylor just notched their fourth win led by the their third string QB. TCU is likely to be a BCS team. SMU is likely to go to a bowl game. Houston will be in a bowl game. Texas Tech. Probably Texas A&M. Really of the Texas schools not named "Longhorns" only Rice and UTEP are going to be sitting at home with us without some sort of buzz to sell recruits in December and January.

I don't see how we are helped if we go 2-10 and retain this coaching staff. I can see retaining Shelton Gandy, Spencer Leftwich, and maybe Chuck Petersen - if a new coach puts him back on the offensive side of the ball. But, guys, if Army comes in here and rolls us under their new head coach with their new offense, what would that really be saying about this program under Todd Dodge in year three?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I find it funny that when Darrell Dickey pointed out the obvious about the facilities, he was called negative. But, when Villareal and Dodge say the same thing, they are said to be helping.

The excuses for Dodge's failure here have always been thin to me, but they're getting thinner. I'm also not defending Deloach anymore either. These guys aren't getting it done. And, you don't have to hire million dollar a year coaches to right the ship. It's proved over and over again in every other type of school you can name - public, private, big enrollment, small enrollment...it doesn't matter. This coaching staff isn't meshing with the players or itself in any consistent way.

Dodge and RV talk about what they are doing to improve facilities. Dickey was just basically "woe is me, our facilities suck, we can't win with this junk" without working toward a solution. Maybe he was working his tail off behind the scenes, but when the majority of your fans just hear or read these type of quotes, you come off looking like a crybaby, which was my impression of him during his entire tenure.

What is so frustrating about the lack of success on the field is that Dodge has been a success in every other aspect of the program (PR, increased ticket sales). Of course, that won't last if you don't win, and he hasn't.

TFLF, we agree on a lot of things, but when you rip Dodge for 8 paragraphs, then talk about how much ULM's defense has improved in a year under a new DC, and follow that up with the innoculous "I'm also not defending Deloach anymore", it kinda reeks of an agenda.

This defense has been terrible, TERRIBLE, for the last three years, 2 of which were under Deloach, and this is the strongest statement you can make about the DC?

No one on this staff is getting it done. Period.

Also, the intensity thing is something that was discussed on the VIP board before last week's game. KingDL started it there as well. It's a good discussion in light of the fact that many of us over there considered the ULM game to very winnable considering the circumstances of both teams in the weeks leading up to the game (UNT's seemingly improving offense versus an ULM team on a losing streak, with two quarterbacks battling injuries, and playing on the road).

Anyway, the gist of the thread ended up being that the ULM game was yet another chance for Todd Dodge to prove he could get this team prepared for a game with some meaning. Unfortunately, as with every other opportunity of the way to 5-28, the team came out flat. The only difference between ULM and the other games is that this time, we didn't at least rally at some point.

It's no secret that I'm not on board with the Todd Dodge experiment. But, again, I predicted they'd be 2-7 at this point, and that's what they are. Alot of what many of you think is negativity from me is simply reality. I never saw anything on the roster or in the lead up to the season that would lead me to believe that this team could win more than three game. I pegged them at 3-9.

I'm as eager and desparate as any of the rest of you for us to succeed again in the area of football. The difference remains that I can't just be told words and believe them. At some point, it has to show up on the field - and show up consistently. A win over ULM - or at least a fight - would have been signs of that.

Before the season, I predicted the that ULM would beat us 28-20. I really expected a dogfight. As I posted on the VIP board last week, there is no way that ULM has better athletes than we across the board. No way. It's simply not possible. So, I surmised that the X factor would be coaching - which coach would have his troops up for the battle.

More and more, though, I have to rethink it. ULM brought in a new defensive coordinator and began the season replacing its starting QB. Well, for whatever reason, their defense has responded to his switch to the 3-3-5. And, it's not like the guy came from a big league school. Dude was defensive coordinator for a year at New Mexico.

Before his stint at UNM, he was at UTEP - a school not known for stellar defenses. But, damn if he doesn't have have that defense giving up less than 24 a game in the Belt, and less than 28 a game overall! In his first season as DC.

You guys are always whining about "we don't have the money for this type of coach, we don't have the money for that type of coach." This guy ULM hired was a refugee from UTEP and UNM and he held us to 6 points - with players he didn't recruit and running a new, very unorthodox defense.

My expectations were not that high for this season - not as high as many of you. But, I've got to tell you, if we lose to Army, lose all the remaining games and finish 2-10 and Dodge stays...we're in a heap of trouble. Too much is going right for too many other schools in state.

Baylor just notched their fourth win led by the their third string QB. TCU is likely to be a BCS team. SMU is likely to go to a bowl game. Houston will be in a bowl game. Texas Tech. Probably Texas A&M. Really of the Texas schools not named "Longhorns" only Rice and UTEP are going to be sitting at home with us without some sort of buzz to sell recruits in December and January.

I don't see how we are helped if we go 2-10 and retain this coaching staff. I can see retaining Shelton Gandy, Spencer Leftwich, and maybe Chuck Petersen - if a new coach puts him back on the offensive side of the ball. But, guys, if Army comes in here and rolls us under their new head coach with their new offense, what would that really be saying about this program under Todd Dodge in year three?

TFLF - I think Dodge will be at great coach someday, at what expense to UNT I am not sure or how long, though I do think it may not be at UNT. The learning curve is starting to look too long for Dodge. But I was hoping for some conformation about what I am being told are pathetically soft practices for D1a. I have talked to a few that say we are night day different from TCU's, Texas's, even SMU's practices and others. From organized discipline to speed, and I almost always hear the words "lack of intensity". Then we see this uninspired play on game day and it seems pretty simple to point back to soft practices. I have heard enough that I just wonder what people on GMG.com think about it and if anyone else has seen this, heard this, think this?

And could these potentially soft practices have cost us three or four wins this year already?

I just want to bang my head into a brick wall.

TFLF, we agree on a lot of things, but when you rip Dodge for 8 paragraphs, then talk about how much ULM's defense has improved in a year under a new DC, and follow that up with the innoculous "I'm also not defending Deloach anymore", it kinda reeks of an agenda.

This defense has been terrible, TERRIBLE, for the last three years, 2 of which were under Deloach, and this is the strongest statement you can make about the DC?

No one on this staff is getting it done. Period.

Yes. I do have an agenda - I want my alma mater to have a competitive football squad.

And, I want it so much that I'm willing to part with Deloach as well as Dodge because, at this point, neither one of them seems to be able to get their sides of the ball in synch for the same game. I just want someone to come in here and not get kicked around by 27 to Louisiana-Monroe and a broken-thumbed quarterback at home. It just doesn't seem like it should be as hard as we all make it out to be.

The point about ULM's DC is that we shouldn't be making excuses for Deloach either. Yes, we're giving up fewer points this year. And, on the other side of the ball, we're averaging a little more. But, neither one is able to get their charges to do it consistently or even for one dadgum game in three years! One game!

Seriously, if you look at the 33 games so far as a whole, the only coach who has had guys ready to go, game in and game out, has been Shelton Gandy. He's dealt with injuries and whotnot and has been able to produce capable running backs from a variety of players. No one else is doing that.

Just look at Deloach. He's coaching the linebackers, right? Well, so when our best goes out with an injury, the whole thing craters with his replacement?

Anyway, yes, I have an agenda - get a coaching staff that can get my alma mater to play with a little inspiriation at home - even if they lose! Dude, 33-6...two field goals? A quarterback with a broken thumb wracking up almost 300 yards passing after sitting out two games? I mean, come one. We're not talking about LSU shutting us down on one side and throwing and running all over us on the other, we're talking about ULM - in year three of this thing!

Seriously, if you look at the 33 games so far as a whole, the only coach who has had guys ready to go, game in and game out, has been Shelton Gandy. He's dealt with injuries and whotnot and has been able to produce capable running backs from a variety of players. No one else is doing that.

I was about to make this same point. Regardless of who does or does not remain at head coach, I really, really hope we find a way to retain Gandy. Besides his coaching, he appears to be by far the most successful recruiter.

Agree 110% on Gandy

I'd also love to see Peterson on the side of the ball Air Force had him on as a co-offensive coordinator or run-game coordinator, as some school now do. He's also a pretty decent recruiter. It's just always been weird to me that he's the secondary coach with virtually all of his other experience being on the offensive side of the ball, and a bunch of that as a coordinator.

Sorry but Running Back is the one position that is almost entirely about individual skill with a little help from the scheme. An excellent Offensive line helps too. Great running backs are great, a coach does not make a great running back, Never has and never will. If you want to rate Gandy, focus on Special Teams and Recruiting where I think he has proven himself to be valuable.

Agree 110% on Gandy

I'd also love to see Peterson on the side of the ball Air Force had him on as a co-offensive coordinator or run-game coordinator, as some school now do. He's also a pretty decent recruiter. It's just always been weird to me that he's the secondary coach with virtually all of his other experience being on the offensive side of the ball, and a bunch of that as a coordinator.

Sure, because our running gaem sucks so bad, not. The one aspect of this years team that is stellar and you harp about moving a coach.

Yes. I do have an agenda - I want my alma mater to have a competitive football squad.

And, I want it so much that I'm willing to part with Deloach as well as Dodge because, at this point, neither one of them seems to be able to get their sides of the ball in synch for the same game. I just want someone to come in here and not get kicked around by 27 to Louisiana-Monroe and a broken-thumbed quarterback at home. It just doesn't seem like it should be as hard as we all make it out to be.

The point about ULM's DC is that we shouldn't be making excuses for Deloach either. Yes, we're giving up fewer points this year. And, on the other side of the ball, we're averaging a little more. But, neither one is able to get their charges to do it consistently or even for one dadgum game in three years! One game!

Just look at Deloach. He's coaching the linebackers, right? Well, so when our best goes out with an injury, the whole thing craters with his replacement?

Anyway, yes, I have an agenda - get a coaching staff that can get my alma mater to play with a little inspiriation at home - even if they lose! Dude, 33-6...two field goals? A quarterback with a broken thumb wracking up almost 300 yards passing after sitting out two games? I mean, come one. We're not talking about LSU shutting us down on one side and throwing and running all over us on the other, we're talking about ULM - in year three of this thing!

Now I feel we are on the same page. I'll leave it up to RV to make coaching change decisions, but if he does decide to make one, I hope he hires a OC or DC from a big six conference school and lets the new coach choose his own staff, with the one requirement being that no high school coaches are allowed.

Don't give me the "those coaches would never come here" speech. There are only 120 of these jobs in America. The type of coach I want would jump at the challenge of being The Man and turning this thing around.

I know, premature.

Um, they dominated us. Their athletes were better than ours period. Should they be? No. Is that a coaching issue? Yes. I believe 90% of college coaching is recruiting.

Just going by rivals.com. If you go by scout.com it's not even close. UNT has several players rated much higher, but after years of following both I think rivals.com is more accurrate.

2006 - 2009 Monroe has had a grand total of 4 3*** players.More than 50% of all players signed did not have another offer ( according to my searches off rivals & scout )

2008(3) RB Luther Ambrose , DT Alex Ford , DT Aaron Williams

2009(1) DE Quantez Hunter

UNT : 2006 - 2009 More than 50% of all players signed had mulitple offers.

2007(1) Cam

2008(6) Cook,Dodge,Franklin*,Hamilton,Hill,Jenkins ( Horton & Edwards 3 *** who never suited up )

2009(3)Shavod,Bean,Smith

* GET FRANKLIN ON THE F'N FIELD !! LINE HIM UP BACK ON THE D-LINE. I PROMISE YOU HE WILL BE AN IMPROVEMENT