Dodge Deserves One More Year

the real grad88

Actually, Parker had a three-year deal and his AD, Steve Sloan, had resigned in the fall of his last season (1993). Craig Helwig came in as the AD in early 1994, which was amazing that an athletic department could go MONTHS without an AD. Anyway, he was here for about a month and fired Parker, who's contract ran out at the end of the spring or summer of 1994. He had no interest at all in giving him a new contract. We had no buyout of Parker to deal with, so we could go out and make a good hire, which is what we did--getting a guy who had skins on the wall, so to speak , with his experience as a D-1 assistant. The admin wasn't more uderstanding back then--they were lucky that Steve Sloan left the job and no one even wanted the job, so we left our head coach to hang out in the wind in his last year. Trust me, Parker was in WAY over his head and should have been fired when he got canned, but the lack of a buyout didn't pose an issue like we have now. To me, those last three years of D-1aa were the best examples of how poor a decision we made as a university to go down to that level and just how far it put us behind the 8-ball. We are still paying for those years today. Corky may have been great, but even with that, that entire time at UNT in purgatory may never be repaired.

I agree with your post 100% and I have felt that moving to 1AA has almost permmanently damaged the program and the University. It is as if it were intentionally done to undermine the whole University. That's how bad i think the decision was. We were the largest 1AA University in the country for years and before we moved down had decent name recognition (North Texas State).

Corky was awesome though and still my favorite UNT coach. I was the only fan who showed up to his Sunday morning TV show on more than one occassion. 1AA FB just didn't attract a big fan base at NTSU. Just imagine how good Corky would have been if he had laid off the sauce.

Actually, Parker had a three-year deal and his AD, Steve Sloan, had resigned in the fall of his last season (1993). Craig Helwig came in as the AD in early 1994, which was amazing that an athletic department could go MONTHS without an AD. Anyway, he was here for about a month and fired Parker, who's contract ran out at the end of the spring or summer of 1994. He had no interest at all in giving him a new contract. We had no buyout of Parker to deal with, so we could go out and make a good hire, which is what we did--getting a guy who had skins on the wall, so to speak , with his experience as a D-1 assistant. The admin wasn't more uderstanding back then--they were lucky that Steve Sloan left the job and no one even wanted the job, so we left our head coach to hang out in the wind in his last year. Trust me, Parker was in WAY over his head and should have been fired when he got canned, but the lack of a buyout didn't pose an issue like we have now. To me, those last three years of D-1aa were the best examples of how poor a decision we made as a university to go down to that level and just how far it put us behind the 8-ball. We are still paying for those years today. Corky may have been great, but even with that, that entire time at UNT in purgatory may never be repaired.

So if guy that went 11-16-1 was in "WAY" over his head as you state what does that mean for Dodge who is 4-27 and most certainly going to get worse?

the title of this thread has me scratchin' my head. Dodge does indeed "deserve" something. Another year as HC of our beloved NT isn't it, IMO. Anybody care to guess what it is? :ph34r::lol:

Candy? A new hat? Flannel pajama pants? Skittles floating in beer? A bootlegged copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Bone? Ninja stars? Creepy crawlers? A Lite Brite? Glo-worms? Sangria mix? Travel Chinese Checkers? Panda Express gift card? Hallmark Rewards Card? A whoopie cushion? Drink coupons on Southwest?

TELL ME THE ANSWER! I CAN'T CRACK THE CODE!!!

Candy? A new hat? Flannel pajama pants? Skittles floating in beer? A bootlegged copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Bone? Ninja stars? Creepy crawlers? A Lite Brite? Glo-worms? Sangria mix? Travel Chinese Checkers? Panda Express gift card? Hallmark Rewards Card? A whoopie cushion? Drink coupons on Southwest?

TELL ME THE ANSWER! I CAN'T CRACK THE CODE!!!

I'll give you a hint: It involves an exit sign, a swinging door, a size 14 boot, and a rear end with a bullseye. Can you come up with a scenario, now? :blink::D

• Upvote 1

So if guy that went 11-16-1 was in "WAY" over his head as you state what does that mean for Dodge who is 4-27 and most certainly going to get worse?

In no way am I saying that Dodge's record means he isn't over his head, too. Dodge was the OC for two of those Parker years so that may give you the answer to your question.

It's time to put this thread to bed. Come on folks. I really think everyone here knows what everyone else thinks about this issue. It's getting close to game day. Lighten up and enjoy football Saturday and a win over W Ky.

GO MEAN GREEN.

It isn't about what TD deserves....he is getting paid I assume. It is about what UNT deserves and they deserve something more than wondering if we can beat the worse team in div 1 football this week...WKU....a sad state of affairs after 2 1/2 years. Do you realize how pitiful the state of UNT football is and how long it has been this way. Bottom 10....and almost always a bottom 10 team.

It isn't about what TD deserves....he is getting paid I assume. It is about what UNT deserves and they deserve something more than wondering if we can beat the worse team in div 1 football this week...WKU....a sad state of affairs after 2 1/2 years. Do you realize how pitiful the state of UNT football is and how long it has been this way. Bottom 10....and almost always a bottom 10 team.

No we deserve Dodge. This is the same ungrateful message board that hated on Dickey through four straight conference titles. This is the team that fired a guy a week after a heart attack because two straight loosing seasons were unacceptable.

No we deserve Dodge. This is the same ungrateful message board that hated on Dickey through four straight conference titles. This is the team that fired a guy a week after a heart attack because two straight loosing seasons were unacceptable.

we would be no better if dickey was still here. it was time for him to go. i am ready for us to try the coaching lotto again.