Dodge Deserves One More Year

the real grad88

I think that college coaches should be given enough time for THEIR RECRUITS to become at least juniors, if not seniors. That is the only way to determine if their recruiting and coaching is going to pay off. To let him go after this year would be premature. Look how young this team is. One more year, and if there is not a major improvement, then it will be time. If you let him go this year, we basically START OVER before we know what we were going to have. THEN, we have to wait 2 or 3 years with the new coach before we can expect any progress.

Edited by the real grad88

I think Dodge should get one more week.

If we can't beat Western Kentucky, the worst team in college football, he should resign.

There is something to be said about giving a coach time to get their system in place, but Dodge has wrecked the program.

A few examples:

-worst coaching record in school history

-brought a bunch of unqualified high school assistants with him and wasted his first year

-his second year saw the worst blow outs in school history

-starts his best QB recruit at slot receiver

-Dodge hit his own reset button on at the QB position by running off his experienced QB to start his own kid

How do you know that he did not have a choice as for as bringing high school assistants? Money was tight because we had to pay Dickey, and may have still been paying Simon.

and maybe... and what if...

Dodge screwed up by getting rid of everyone from the last coaching staff and doesn't have the connections to get good college assistant.

Dickey hired a nobody former Alabama QB, LSU grad assistant that turned out to be ok, who did Dodge bring in?

And if this "no money" theory was right, Dodge could have schedule an extra pay-day game like DD used to.

No one "deserves" to continue to run the program into the ground. Football coaches are judged on the number of wins they produce. This guy ain't producing them. It's time to clear the deck. It's not the University of Todd Dodge.

As a UT grad, he could care less. He'd have used us as a stepping stone anyway, if by some miracle this experiment had worked.

But, it hasn't. Cut him loose and get the next guy in here.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

There is no reason to not surround yourself with 9s and 10s and I am talking about performance here. Go out there and get coaches around you that have done the job before. Even if they did it at Abilene Christian or SHSU - get college coaches and do not be afraid of surrounding yourself with talented people. We are a joke of a program. I will be there for ULM but this is old. Deloach was supposedly a 9 or 10 and he has turned out to be a joke - get people that have done it before around you.

get us a coach - stop embarrassing my degree!

GMG

There is no reason to not surround yourself with 9s and 10s and I am talking about performance here. Go out there and get coaches around you that have done the job before. Even if they did it at Abilene Christian or SHSU - get college coaches and do not be afraid of surrounding yourself with talented people. We are a joke of a program. I will be there for ULM but this is old. Deloach was supposedly a 9 or 10 and he has turned out to be a joke - get people that have done it before around you.

get us a coach - stop embarrassing my degree!

GMG

Isn't your degree relative to academics ? How can a coach embarrass it ?

Edited by MeanGreen61

uhhh walking around a cruise ship this weekend in my Mean Green gear and people:

A. still asking, "so where is North Texas"

B. stating, "you all are not very good are you?" Understatement of the last half of this decade!

Boise State offers a trucking degree - but I sure would feel great dawning their gear right about now!

Bring back the pride!

GMG

I think that college coaches should be given enough time for THEIR RECRUITS to become at least juniors, if not seniors. That is the only way to determine if their recruiting and coaching is going to pay off. To let him go after this year would be premature. Look how young this team is. One more year, and if there is not a major improvement, then it will be time. If you let him go this year, we basically START OVER before we know what we were going to have. THEN, we have to wait 2 or 3 years with the new coach before we can expect any progress.

How will firing the worst coach at the FBS level set this program back into rebuilding mode??? NT will STILL be rebuilding in 2 years because of where this program is now. Besides, everyone runs the Spread offense, now, so your chances of hiring a coach who knows how to utilize this type of personnel will be pretty high, IMO. As for the defense & special teams, how could any other staff do any worse????????????

Look at the history here, people: Ridiculously lousy losing percentage, original high school staff all but ousted, Racism scandal (negative pub regardless of who was right or wrong), butt ugly SLC Copycat uniforms, major players quitting, etc, etc. Students made their voices heard when they voted FOR a new stadium IN SPITE of Dodge, not because of him.

It's a helluva lot more risky to sit back and do absolutely nothing, IMO.

Edited by Got5onIt

you have got to be kidding me

So let's say we are terrible again next year and Coach Dodge gets canned after. Then we will have a new coach in his 1st year going into the new stadium. I don't think we will make a sexy enough hire to excite the fan base.

I'm not smart enough to have the answer, but I think you either make a move at the end of this year or you gut it out through 2011. That is one HUGE gamble.

So let's say we are terrible again next year and Coach Dodge gets canned after. Then we will have a new coach in his 1st year going into the new stadium. I don't think we will make a sexy enough hire to excite the fan base.

I'm not smart enough to have the answer, but I think you either make a move at the end of this year or you gut it out through 2011. That is one HUGE gamble.

Stick it out until 2011???????

I'd much rather fall face first off my roof & take a header into a thumbtack!

• Upvote 1

I've mentioned this before, and I guess that this is as good a place as any to mention it again.

Our last High School coaching experiment lasted only three years and his record was 11-21-1. AND we were within one point on four of those losses and within two on another.

So the record might have been 16-16-1.

Our money games during that era.

1991 Oklahoma 2-40

1992 SMU 14-28 & Texas 15-33

1993 Ne braska 14-76

I guess the administrators were much less understanding back then.

I agree completly. You all may not see it, but this year has given me alot of hope. I see progress. We have been really competitive in most of our games.

First I want you to all know that the negative talk has put a dim view on my desire to come to the Army game. Becuase some of my former teammates I am going to come and have a good time with them and FFR. Since I as a former letterman have such a negative view of the program (completely due to the board) I have often wondered what prospective athletes and their families are thinking........

Anyway enough of that I think that Dodge deserves one more year and at that time must be close to a .500 season or be gone. He has had time done a GREAT job of recruiting and I think things will turn over the course of the next year. All of this talk reminds me of 2001 after the ULM game.

I agree completly. You all may not see it, but this year has given me alot of hope. I see progress. We have been really competitive in most of our games.

The sad thing is some are willing to settle for losing as long as we are competitive. Losing is losing. And it sucks.

First I want you to all know that the negative talk has put a dim view on my desire to come to the Army game. Becuase some of my former teammates I am going to come and have a good time with them and FFR. Since I as a former letterman have such a negative view of the program (completely due to the board) I have often wondered what prospective athletes and their families are thinking........

Anyway enough of that I think that Dodge deserves one more year and at that time must be close to a .500 season or be gone. He has had time done a GREAT job of recruiting and I think things will turn over the course of the next year. All of this talk reminds me of 2001 after the ULM game.

You don't think there should have been negative talk after that debaucle? And while I'm at it. The "miracle in the desert was just that.....a miracle". It had nothing to do with coaching brillance. Also, that season produced the North Texas rule (minimum of 6 wins to be bowl eligible). Makes you proud doesn't it?

Ole Green Guts...why let the "usual suspects" dampen your enthusiasm for the Mean green??? You need to do your own thinking and not let the ever-unhappy folks make decisions for you about what you feel regarding the status of the program. Some of these same folks were saying they just wanted to be competitive this season...and now that the Mean green is much more competitive, it's like that was never mentioned. Coach Dodge has a contract and he deserves another year. If one can't see any progress in this program, then, well, they aren't looking very hard.

Interesting how Coach DeLoach has not come under the same "fire" that Coach Dodge has...the defense has not exactly shined in the last two games, yet folks who dislike Dodge say what great progress the defense has made this season. I agree, the defense is much better, but I'd swear that Mendoza was back coaching the last two games for the defense. Does that mean we fire DeLoach too? No way...progress does not always come in giant leaps, but, as a society, we have become so needful of "instant gratification" that some feel the Mean Green should be SBC champs this year!

It hurts...badly...the see the program at the level it is at the moment, but that will make it even sweeter when the wins start to come...and they will...and they will under Coach Dodge. I am 100% fine with another year for Coach Dodge. I think that will "tell the tale" as to where this program is going under Coach Dodge.

I hope you will bring a big group with you to the Army game...by the way...have you bought you "Tank Army" T-shirt as yet??? If not, and if you will not be attending the W KY or ULL games ahead of the Army game, let me know...I'll mail then to you and I'll cover the cost of the mailing!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

What, you mean all of the coaching expertise on this board has brought you down? Or maybe its the "true fans" who withhold their support until we win and point out how "true fans" should try to tear a program apart by providing negative post after negative post on the internet - of course anything short of that means that you are satisfied with losing - you should never ever be supportive when losing.

IMO, we would be better off shutting this board down. I got on this board many years ago thinking it would be a great way to touch base with other fans and collect a few bits of information. After awhile, I realized that wasn't at all what this board was about. I do get on and read for a good laugn, but I quit posting much after that realizationi. Every once in awhile I lose my patience with the crap said on the board (like today) and I have to throw out a few things. By and large, this board doesn't represent the many true supportive fans the Mean Green have (my apologies to the few of you on this board for which that doesn't apply).

I line up with Ole Green Guts, bigrobdsp, KRAM1 and others. Winning is not something that you just switch on. We have all paid our dues for the last three years...now is not the time to fold. TD seems to be on the right track, although it is taking a LOT longer to produce wins than we anticipated. My opinion is that we can't pull the rug out from under him now...for reasons not all related to him personally. Stay the course and honor our contract; this time next year we will absolutely know what has to be done, good or bad.

Two or three more wins this year will build some momentum for next year, and at this point that is what we need to look to IMHO.