Mean Green Blog

Harry

Ok, I'm confused. The Troy beat writer expects Troy to win easily because our talent is not "on Troy's level" yet all I ever hear on this board I'd how talented every single player Todd Dodge signs is. Logic dictates that we can then point to coaching. Can't have it both ways apologists.

I think the players are on level with the best Sun Belt and MAC teams as evident by the Ohio game and it is coaching in the end, execution and winning attitude is just not there, which is the coaches responsibility to tighten up during practices.

Ok, I'm confused. The Troy beat writer expects Troy to win easily because our talent is not "on Troy's level" yet all I ever hear on this board I'd how talented every single player Todd Dodge signs is. Logic dictates that we can then point to coaching. Can't have it both ways apologists.

Emmitt,

I have a few questions regarding the future for UNT Football starting today. What is the plan that you would like to see realistically put into place for our program starting now? Who would you target, how much would you pay and for how long? Assuming that we had to actually pay Dodge a buyout that was large, what would you recommend we do to help cover that buyout? Trust me, I am just curious to hear your opinion. Not meant in any way to be derogatory--I am just interested in your thoughts about this situation. You are one of the most visible UNT fans we have ever had, so I would imagine your take would be similar to other MG fans, too.

Jim

"All you ever hear"? I recall people commenting favorably on the talent we signed in the 2008 class, and how Dodge did a good job addressing needs with the 2009 class. Some disagreed with those statements, so if you paid attention you have heard a lot more than what you say you have heard. There are obviously still deficiencies in talent and deficiencies in coaching. So there--you have it both ways.

Lately you seem to frequently be in a state of confusion. :devil:

Edited by MeanGreen61

From Vito's blog: If it makes you feel any better, Western Kentucky, UNT's rival in the Sun Belt Conference, is still at No. 1.

Huh? When the hell did that happen?? Have we really fallen so low that we have to declare a 1st year FCS school as our rival? *Buries face in hands* Maybe it's time to start sharpening that sword.

From Vito's blog: If it makes you feel any better, Western Kentucky, UNT's rival in the Sun Belt Conference, is still at No. 1.

Huh? When the hell did that happen?? Have we really fallen so low that we have to declare a 1st year FCS school as our rival? *Buries face in hands* Maybe it's time to start sharpening that sword.

You realize that "rival" doesn't necessarily mean the team you hate the most and long to beat every season.

Alabama was UNT's rival this season.

"Why a spoon, why not a knife or a sword?"

"Because it's dull, it will hurt more, you twit."

It may have happened when we came back to beat them on a cold, sloppy day at Fouts in 2007, in a game with a postgame fight at midfield. It may have happened a few months later, when they ended our basketball season, our attempt to repeat as SBC Tournament champs, and our hopes of returning to the NCAA Tournament.

It may have happened last year, when both teams bounced back and forth in a high scoring see-saw football game that was sealed by a 99 yard interception return as time expired to earn us our only win of the year. It might have happened a few months later, when we went on the road to Diddle arena and blew a lead, but still only lost to WKU when a game-tying shot failed to Drop. Or a few months after that, when with time running out in the SBC Tournament semifinals, A.J. Slaughter put on another a shooting clinic and WKU rallied back to knock us out of the tournament AGAIN, then very nearly went on to the sweet 16 for the second year in a row.

Right now, the most nationally recognizable program in the Sun Belt is Western Kentucky. And after the past two years, we have a pretty intense and rivalrous recent history. I'd say that they're my favorite program to play in any sport I follow. Hopefully we'll get a sweep this year.

Who are the apologists? The Troy beat writer thinks their talent is better than our's. I've yet to see anyone on here agree with that assessment. Seems to me you are taking one person's point of view and applying it to posters on this board. Doesn't make sense.

The Troy beat writer thinks their talent is better than our's. I've yet to see anyone on here agree with that assessment.

That's precisely my point. There are many who honestly believe our talent is on par with Troy's. If you take this to be true, and I don't, then the only explanation for their dominance and our shortfalls is coaching...no? My point is that we continue to celebrate the signing of kids that are "all area" or "1st Team all Amarillo". We are not in Troy's league talent wise. That makes bad coaching decisions all the more hurtful to our chances of winning.

As to the question of who I would hire and how I would make up the financial shortfall of getting rid of Dodge my answer is simple. I would keep Dodge but make it abundantly clear that EVERY SINGLE person on his staff needs to have D1 experience. No more high school coaches save Dodge and only him because 1)He is already here and 2)He still has some cache with high school coaches. I honestly believe that having an OC with college skins on the wall would allow us to either change pace if what we are doing isn't working and, more importantly, keep the pressure on if we are ahead in the 4th quarter.

That's precisely my point. There are many who honestly believe our talent is on par with Troy's. If you take this to be true, and I don't, then the only explanation for their dominance and our shortfalls is coaching...no? My point is that we continue to celebrate the signing of kids that are "all area" or "1st Team all Amarillo". We are not in Troy's league talent wise. That makes bad coaching decisions all the more hurtful to our chances of winning.

As to the question of who I would hire and how I would make up the financial shortfall of getting rid of Dodge my answer is simple. I would keep Dodge but make it abundantly clear that EVERY SINGLE person on his staff needs to have D1 experience. No more high school coaches save Dodge and only him because 1)He is already here and 2)He still has some cache with high school coaches. I honestly believe that having an OC with college skins on the wall would allow us to either change pace if what we are doing isn't working and, more importantly, keep the pressure on if we are ahead in the 4th quarter.

Thanks, Emmitt. Two things--first, the high school coaches on staff now seem to fit in ok. I just don't think that we are losing because the OC doesn't have D1 experience. The offense is Dodge's anyway, so I really consider him the true OC. I understand he is also responsible for the defense, too, but I think that is DeLoach's baby now and that Dodge focuses most of his energy on the offensvie side, simlar to what I think Dickey did with DeLoach when he was here the first time. Secondly, I don't think we have the talent that Troy has either, but I think that we could get back up to their level again at some point in the future. Now if that is with Dodge or without him, I don't know. But I do think that we can get back to the top of the SBC again. I will say this--whether Troy's standards are lower, their stadium is better, or the coaching is just more experienced as compared to us right now, they are a program that I have grown to enjoy watching and I think they are going to be at the top of the SBC for quite a while. Their university seems to understand that winning in football attracts interest and money, which then allows you to get more donations for the rest of the school. They have grown to be the #3 football program in a state that puts a premium on college football. I guess that would be equivalent to being the 6th best team in Texas today--which I would take that in a hearbeat. I just don't know that our administration, BOR, faculty, and AD will ever be on the same page to have a similar goal for our UNT Football program.

I just don't know that our administration, BOR, faculty, and AD will ever be on the same page to have a similar goal for our UNT Football program.

You might add "our Alumni and fan base" in also......at least from what I read here on GMG.com.