Why Can't We Win?

KingDL1

We started losing almost exactly when the pirate girl took away the tortilla toss.

Bring back the tortillas and we will win, I guarantee it!

RV you know this is true do the math! I think its that extra pump up of both fans and players.

No, I don't care if it looks like we stole it from Tech, I just want wins!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

We started losing almost exactly when the pirate girl took away the tortilla toss.

Bring back the tortillas and we will win, I guarantee it!

RV you know this is true do the math! I think its that extra pump up of both fans and players.

No, I don't care if it looks like we stole it from Tech, I just want wins!!!!!!!!!

Damn Right!

I want green ones, lets start throwing these things again, I don't see how Tortillas could hurt. I loved it.

• Upvote 1

One of my favorite things to do during the game. It was awesome.

If the clean up is the concern how about having those of us who would just go pick the mess up after the game. I promise a couple dosen would help pick it up and we'd be finished in less than 10 minutes.

Then the tortillas could be recycled for the next game. It goes with the whole green initiative going on at the university.

We Mean Green!

Yes, bring back the tortillas!! They can join the other traditions that we copied!

Like when we played K-State in 1989 and all the K St cheerleaders laid down to spell KST and the last cheerleading came running in and dove to the ground to finish off the T, then the very next home game our cheerleaders did the same thing!

Or maybe like "Another North Texas....FIRST DOWN", which was stolen from Arkansas in the early 2000s.

How about we create our own traditions. We are a freaking art school, surely we have the creativity to come up with something!

Yes, bring back the tortillas!! They can join the other traditions that we copied!

Like when we played K-State in 1989 and all the K St cheerleaders laid down to spell KST and the last cheerleading came running in and dove to the ground to finish off the T, then the very next home game our cheerleaders did the same thing!

Or maybe like "Another North Texas....FIRST DOWN", which was stolen from Arkansas in the early 2000s.

How about we create our own traditions. We are a freaking art school, surely we have the creativity to come up with something!

so what's your suggestin as to a new tradition???

so what's your suggestin as to a new tradition???

I've got an out. I wasn't an art major. The little creativity I had was spent years ago on more (or less, depending on your point of view) important ventures.

Plus, I'm a PE major. Do you really want me to come up with something?

Plus, I'm a PE major. Do you really want me to come up with something?

Well you're closer to the athletic state of mind than accounting majors like myself. I don't even know what creativity is.

But can someone enlighten me since I haven't been here that long. I've heard about the tortilla toss often. So you guys just tossed tortillas on the field towards a pirate at the end of the game? It sounds really fun. Did you bring the tortillas? What diameter tortilla flew best? How did whole wheat fly? What happened if you tossed a pita?

Edited by mdh0192

Well you're closer to the athletic state of mind than accounting majors like myself. I don't even know what creativity is.

But can someone enlighten me since I haven't been here that long. I've heard about the tortilla toss often. So you guys just tossed tortillas on the field towards a pirate at the end of the game? It sounds really fun. Did you bring the tortillas? What diameter tortilla flew best? How did whole wheat fly? What happened if you tossed a pita?

Well during the time of the Tortillas we were winning and just as soon as they banned them we started losing.

But on at night when we scored and the air was full of thousands of tortillas with the lights reflecting off them, it was a pretty cool spectacle. We would throw them toward the field, like they could ever make it that far. The white corn tortillas from Sam's worked best for us just the regular 5-6" diameter.

No Pirates, just a pirate girl made us stop, complete and total BS.

I really enjoyed throwing them, the whole team would look back to watch after a score.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see the "Eagle Soar"... All 22,000 fans flapping their arms like eagles... Maybe on kickoffs and 3rd downs?

And we're the eagles... Why don't we have an aviary and live eagle do the flyby thing before kickoff... I think that would be cool...

General studies major... Best I got... Actually had he same conversation with a fellow UNT grad who's a die hard SEC fan and had no idea what the traditions for his Alma mater were...

Our football team earned this tradition by beating Tech 29-24 in Lubbotucks while North Texas fans in the stands gave the Tech fans a taste of their own medicine by collecting Tech's student section torts and throwing it back at them afterwards. Thus, the tort throwing at Fouts was a commemorating way to honor that amazing season of 1988. It was a 17 year tradition at North Texas until they were banned in '05.

Rick

Actually, I would like to make it known that a group of Clark Hall residents, in the early 00s would yell "1, 2, 3...FIRST DOWN" on first downs. This grew to a large number of students on the student side. When they started announcing it on the speaker, we were all very disappointed. We did not rip it off of Arkansas (not that they are the only ones that do this), we ripped it off of a couple of drunk guys that would attend the Lewisville HS football games.

Or maybe like "Another North Texas Mean Green....FIRST DOWN", which was stolen from Arkansas in the early 2000s.

How do you get that wrong? 90% of all traditions are stolen at some point. Wanna get rid of the cannon, bell, old car, or person inside an animal costume because we didn't come up with them?

How do you get that wrong? 90% of all traditions are stolen at some point. Wanna get rid of the cannon, bell, old car, or person inside an animal costume because we didn't come up with them?

We could also get rid of the tradition of people getting cranky when someone stands up to clap for longer than I guess the allowed time of .333 seconds. We could also get ride of the tradition of only focusing on what our head coach has brought us and consider starting a new tradition of doing more to see what the fans have brought us. The Alumni say its the students, the students say its the alumni. I think its time to give in. Lets face it your not that important so if you can enjoy UNT with someone you don't know, just do it.

It's all the bitterness of 1-5, and I was multi-tasking at work.

The tortillas did not happen in 89 or 90. They must have come after that, because I was at those home games and never saw any tortillas. The attempted theft of the K St cheerleader flop happened in 89.

I don't mind stealing a tradition here or there, but it gets old going to an away game, seeing a tradition, then going to the very next home game and seeing the same tradition of the other school introduced the very next week. Granted, most of this happened years ago.

The tortilla tradition is great... for Texas Tech, cause they thought of it. We just look like posers when we do it. Just one man's opinion.

Edited by UNT90

NT doesnt care about athletics, seriously this is the result.....

Give a good salary package to a good proven D-1 coach and you will get more wins....

It's like you absorb what everyone else says, blend it around in your head, and then you pour us all your delicious thought smoothie without tasting it first.

And I love it.

It's all the bitterness of 1-5, and I was multi-tasking at work.

The tortillas did not happen in 89 or 90. They must have come after that, because I was at those home games and never saw any tortillas. The attempted theft of the K St cheerleader flop happened in 89.

I don't mind stealing a tradition here or there, but it gets old going to an away game, seeing a tradition, then going to the very next home game and seeing the same tradition of the other school introduced the very next week. Granted, most of this happened years ago.

The tortilla tradition is great... for Texas Tech, cause they thought of it. We just look like posers when we do it. Just one man's opinion.

Tech did not start it, several teams did it, tech just had the most publicity.

I really could care less, I enjoyed throwing tortillas and so did many others. No need for a sense of insecurity.

But we didn't start losing until we stopped throwing them.

Maybe we should experiment and test my superstition.

• Upvote 1

Tech did not start it, several teams did it, tech just had the most publicity.

I really could care less, I enjoyed throwing tortillas and so did many others. No need for a sense of insecurity.

But we didn't start losing until we stopped throwing them.

Maybe we should experiment and test my superstition.

I'd throw... up if it would bring us a couple of conference victories.

And I'd do it after every 3 and out.

They certainly did, just not as much as in the late 90's thru '05, and more often on the alumni side than the student side. And Eppy and the Talons were doing the U-N-T spell out at the basketball games prior to '89. And I was one of only a handfull of NT fans at that Kansas State game in '89 and don't ever recall seeing them do a spell out. I do remember their mascot doing push ups for each score but not a spell out.

But once again, lets trash our past and continue to kill anything that has to do with a tradition at NT. It's what we seem to do best.

Let's change the mascot name..again.

Let's get rid of the NT Battle Flag because some clueless Knows-It-All on campus who simply doesn't like it, say's so.

Let's change the hand sign.

Let's change the logos, again.

Let's change the name of the school, again.

Let's change the school colors to Burnt orange and Blue or some other school's colors just for the sake of selling more T shirts.

Let's get rid of the tortilla's that hundreds of kids look forward to throwing and chasing every other weekend, thus making it an even easier reason for their parents to bring them.

Leave the Cannon out in the rain to rust and rot, hell someone'll come along and build another one if we need it.

Hide the only motorized 2,000 lb bell that we know of in College Sports behind the stadium during games so no one can see or hear it.

Reduce the size of the bonfire and NEVER, EVER promote it during TV commercials or in print ads.

Leave the model A out in the rain to rust and rot.

Come up with yet another set of cheers that never has a beginning or an end that no one can seem to follow. If you attended Bonfire this year you saw and heard how badly we lack in this depatment. "No.....T...as!...North!....Texas!....Nooorth!....Texa....Noo....Te........................................

This past weekend at the Junior Meang Green Club event the kids were handed "How-To" posters of the Eagle hand sign, the new one that is, not the original that existed for 20 plus years prior to Craig Helwigs' arrival in '95, to which my 8 year old asked me why we were teaching people that Eagles only have three claws on their Talons when everyone knows they have four? I nearly wept with pride even as sad as it is to realize we may never understand something even an 8 year old can figure out.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick