5 Mid-major Football Coaches On The Hot Seat

mgsteve

www.midmajormadness.com

"With an overall record of 3-21 during his first 2 years as a head coach (tied for worst with Akey) Todd Dodge's team was absolutely awful during 2008. The Mean Green were 102nd in the nation in scoring. Dead last in total defense. Dead last in scoring defense. 111th in punt returns and 114th in kickoff returns. 116th in turnover margin. They were for arguments sake, one of the worst teams to ever in modern college football. If his team does not show marked improved during the 2009 season, he will not only be fired, but most likely chased out of the state of Texas completely."

I do not believe that the last sentence is accurate. I believe he will be given the full five years of his contract despite any won - loss record.

I think you are correct.. but they will will win 5-6 games in 09

and he will be around for a few more years.

If the losing continues, even with slight improvement, I think the most he can hope for is to finish out the '10 season. RV won't open a brand new football stadium with a losing coach.

I think you are correct here with the major focus of creating a new energy around the new stadium. If we are losing, Todge is out. No one wants to talk about "maybe this will be the year that the high school coach gets us out of the shitter" when opening a new stadium. The time is now for Todge to show his stuff or he will be shown the door...just my opinion.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I guess they're not considering Fresno St. a mid-major because he's really in hot water.

I sure don't understand why Pat Hill would be in hot water. Last year was a pretty bad year for him, he was 7-5 but lost to Colorado State in a bowl. The year before he went 9-4 with a bowl win over Georgia Tech. Hill's overall record is 92-61, a .600 winning percentage.

Fresno may never have a Top 20 finish with Pat Hill but they'll always have a tough, competitive team.

I sure don't understand why Pat Hill would be in hot water. Last year was a pretty bad year for him, he was 7-5 but lost to Colorado State in a bowl. The year before he went 9-4 with a bowl win over Georgia Tech. Hill's overall record is 92-61, a .600 winning percentage.

Fresno may never have a Top 20 finish with Pat Hill but they'll always have a tough, competitive team.

One WAC title in 12 years and $2.5 million reasons why. Pat has put us on the map but he has never gotten the job done. I'm not saying BCS bowl or bust. The OOC teams we upset are great, taking #1 USC late in the 4th is great, but consistantly losing to Boise and at least one or two others in the WAC is unacceptable.

It does to Coach Dodge, for sure. For me, I want to see improvement, and yes, I want to see the wins. But building character and a marked improvement in grades and graduation rates also matter, to me.

Rick

It would be nice if all of those things you mentioned were great but to be honest I personally do not care how they do in the classroom as long as they are talented and produce W's on the field. This has to be a significantly improved year on the field and if not Dodge should be gone.

It would be nice if all of those things you mentioned were great but to be honest I personally do not care how they do in the classroom as long as they are talented and produce W's on the field.

Not to be the nattering nabob of negativity, but if they don't do well in the classroom they don't deserve to be on the field - no matter how talented they are.

We are paying for their education, and for every scholarship athlete there is a bright kid working 30 hours a week to make his tuition payment.

Not to be the nattering nabob of negativity, but if they don't do well in the classroom they don't deserve to be on the field - no matter how talented they are.

We are paying for their education, and for every scholarship athlete there is a bright kid working 30 hours a week to make his tuition payment.

<_<:angry:

C'mon now, lets get back to the real world here. What about them risking their bodies for your own entertainment and feeling of self worth with your University? It's a two way street that the 30hr working student would gladly give up for gridiron glory. We all know the dropout rate for the average college student is far greater than student athletes in general. Something like less than 50% of all incoming freshman will have their bachelors degree in 7 years. At any rate, winning brings attention to the university, which in turn, brings us more prestige & more students. Win at football and all things will get better.....

Edited by Got5onIt

<_<:angry:

C'mon now, lets get back to the real world here. What about them risking their bodies for your own entertainment and feeling of self worth with your University? It's a two way street that the 30hr working student would gladly give up for gridiron glory. We all know the dropout rate for the average college student is far greater than student athletes in general. Something like less than 50% of all incoming freshman will have their bachelors degree in 7 years. At any rate, winning brings attention to the university, which in turn, brings us more prestige & more students. Win at football and all things will get better.....

At least someone got this right. They have to do good to play and we certainly want them to play well. Additionally, if they don't play well Todge is out. I hope they kick some major ass though.