Memphis To Big East In 2012 ?

MeanGreen61

Not suprised. it would be a good move.....

Most importantly where would that put us.

Same place. I dont understand why everyone thinks that because some school a few states away is possibly going to move into a new conference has any affect on what happens to us. Bottom line is this means nothing for us....here....you want to know what will happen: A Sunbelt school most likely Troy, or AKST will prob. make the jump...then the Sunbelt will search their options and realize that they are the worst D1 conference and will be forced to pull up some school that just got football a few years back.

Same place. I dont understand why everyone thinks that because some school a few states away is possibly going to move into a new conference has any affect on what happens to us. Bottom line is this means nothing for us....here....you want to know what will happen: A Sunbelt school most likely Troy, or AKST will prob. make the jump...then the Sunbelt will search their options and realize that they are the worst D1 conference and will be forced to pull up some school that just got football a few years back.

You're probably right. I hear Lamar is getting back into the football business. Bet ole Wright Waters is all over the folks in Beaumont. <_<

Memphis thread discussing possible move to Big East in 2012. True ? False ? Several posters claiming to have good info on a move, but who knows ?

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=374603&page=1

Memphis has always been my guess to be next to the Big East. They would be a good travel partner for Louisville and have good basketball to console the non-football schools there. Their football has not been as good recently as when we played them in the Bowl. I doubt overall this happens without a split in the Big East between the football and basketball schools.

I'm not sure if this article from Rivals was posted on GMG earlier, but I thought it was very insightful into realignment and it's relationship to a possible seventh conference becoming a BCS conference. Here is the link: http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/008127.php

Article from fanblogs.com

June 14, 2009

Will 2010, 2012 be the years of mass realignment announcments?

According to the BCS Website's "Standards for Future BCS Automatic Qualification" the results of the 2008-2011 seasons will be used to determine if a seventh conference will earn a BCS spot for 2012 and 2013. If the current procedures are used after this, then the 2010-2013 seasons will be used to determine the automatic qualifications for 2014-2017.

This means the MWC, WAC, C-USA, MAC and Sun Belt will be re-evaluated after 2011 and all conferences will be examined after 2013 based on a four year window.

The criteria used are:

(1) the ranking of the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings each year

(2) the final regular-season rankings of all conference teams in the computer rankings used by the BCS each year

(3) the number of teams in the top 25 of the final BCS standings each year

[Note the complete lack of any measure that incorporates bowl results of any kind. I guess bowl results really do mean nothing.]

Previously the BCS has set the precedent that if a team moves from one conference to another the conference they played in the last year of evaluation is where their numbers count for the evaluation.

If a conference is considering a team in a weaker conference they will get the most benefit in the BCS automatic qualification criteria by getting the most years with the team in question in the weaker conference as possible to count for their numbers. It also must be noted that it takes a full year to get out of a conference once an announcement is made.

To start in 2011 an announcement must be made in 2010. For 2013 the announcements would be 2012.

If the MWC is looking to poach Boise State while maximizing their post 2011 BCS numbers they are better off allowing Boise State to play the WAC in 2010. If the BCS is looking to eliminate the MWC by taking a few of their top teams 2010 would be the year to do so. Though I may be partial to BCS conspiracy theories, even in the worst case this would provide the final evidence needed to instigate an anti-trust investigation with teeth.

If the PAC 10, Big 10 or Big East are waiting to maximize the BCS value of teams from weaker conferences they would best wait until 2012 to announce their expansion plans.

This indicates that a conference realignment spurred by MWC expansion might be on the horizon next year and one triggered by the PAC 10 or Big East might be being developed for 2012.

So the contracts align themselves and my prediction from last year remains:

The MWC will earn a BCS automatic qualification for 2012, only to have the Mayan's calender proven right and never have the opportunity to use it due to world changing events.

Then again, for some of those visiting this site in the middle of June the MWC earning a spot in a BCS bowl due to an automatic qualification might constitute a world changing event.

Posted by Ben Prather

No --unless the Big East splits... way to large now (16 teams) . Besides... Memphis is thriving in basketball as it is now... Did Lousville come out ahead by moving??

--- Football.. they would be better off to schedule great non-confernece games (if possible) and do well in CUSA. They have the name recognition because of basketball.

--- I do expect any big shake-up that may occur to start with the Big East splitting into a football group and a non-football group.. Who knows when it might occur.... soon or many years from now.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

No --unless the Big East splits... way to large now (16 teams) . Besides... Memphis is thriving in basketball as it is now... Did Lousville come out ahead by moving??

--- Football.. they would be better off to schedule great non-confernece games (if possible) and do well in CUSA. They have the name recognition because of basketball.

--- I do expect any big shake-up that may occur to start with the Big East splitting into a football group and a non-football group.. Who knows when it might occur.... soon or many years from now.

Louisville, came out ok, I think. I mean, they get BCS money for football, they have gone to a BCS bowl game, and they get in one of the most premier hoops leagues for both men and women that produces great revenues. Its somewhat possible that they are just a bit better now than when they were in CUSA. (SARCASM)

--- Baylor gets to be the bottom team in the Big Twelve (football) and TCU which did not make it to the Big-XII has had pretty good success. Sometime in the bigger one is not the best one for a team. A team needs to be competitive.

--- Agree with one comment above... we need to improve greatly... A bigger or better known conference is not the answer to ALL of our problems.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

A bigger or better known conference is not the answer to ALL of our problems.

No, but it is the answer to most of our problems. The stadium is another answer.

And I'd venture to say lowly Baylor, just by association with the Big12, still gets more revenue and media than TCU in all it's recent prime.

No, but it is the answer to most of our problems. The stadium is another answer.

And I'd venture to say lowly Baylor, just by association with the Big12, still gets more revenue and media than TCU in all it's recent prime.

Yes, and Baylor isn't that lowly anymore. They have a great coach now and have pulled some real quality recruits recently. They are no longer the doormat of the Big 12, (looks like that title belongs to atm now) and this season they are expected to finish around the middle of the pack, with a bowl game.

The only reason they were able to make the turn around is the fact that they belong to a BCS conference. They can sell coaches and recruits on a chance to play for a National Title.

Think Baylor is hurting? Not only did they receive more payout in BCS money than TCU or Boise did last year, 0-12 Washington received more than either of those two. Again, where is it better to be--bottom of BCS or top of non-BCS? Our hearts say the non-BCS becasue we like the little guy. Our heads know the answer, though. $$$$ talk--it makes it so much easier for a Baylor, when they do get a good coach, to succeed because they know that the resources they get is far better than any of the non-BCS. That is why Briles left UH.