Cotton Bowl Lookin' For New Bowl Game

MeanGreen61

Am I the only one who takes issue with the GoMeanGreen.com culture of posting an Internet link without any sort of summary about said link?

We were told by the admins to only post a link. Although it isn't as easy, it's not fair to the journalists writing the articles or the media source employing them.

Am I the only one who takes issue with the GoMeanGreen.com culture of posting an Internet link without any sort of summary about said link?

What about the culture of mild to severe brain damage?

Not sure the Cotton Bowl will surive that long but I for one would be in favor of putting the NT vs. SMU series in the Cotton Bowl if, and only if, it could be scheduled during one of the weekends of the fair.

i would love it, but what sort of attendance would that game pull? 25k? 30k? would it be worth it?

Not sure the Cotton Bowl will surive that long but I for one would be in favor of putting the NT vs. SMU series in the Cotton Bowl if, and only if, it could be scheduled during one of the weekends of the fair.

I love the history and glory of the Cotton Bowl and I hope it's around for a long time, but I'm out on that idea.

While I think we would face zero flack from people claiming we are trying to duplicate the UT-OU tradition (UNT-SMU is not even in the same ballpark), I think that game will be too important for us to give up what little home field advantage we may or may not have. If we could guarantee 50K+ in paid attendance I might reconsider it but I don't see that as even a remote possibility.

And, if it were a continuing series (every year, like UT/OU and there was guaranteed TV (such as ESPN 2 or Fox SW). Otherwise, lets keep it on campus.

i would love it, but what sort of attendance would that game pull? 25k? 30k? would it be worth it?

NT has never had great attendance at the Cotton Bowl. We hosted BYU and I think Okla State there. If we had to play Smut at a neutral site I would prefer a game at JerryWorld.

Edited by NT80

I love the Cotton Bowl and hate to see it go, but its days have been numbered for years. The sad thing is that the Dallas City Council could have done something years ago, but like everything else in Dallas, they screwed that up.

With our new stadium being built, I see no reason for us to play there or at Jerry World.

Tx v OU will never go to Jerryworld. OU already plays one game there, Both fanbases don't want the move, including some big donors.

the same was said about the cotton bowl game. big donor wives like luxury and suites and air conditioning. expect this game to be in arlington in 2016.

Couldn't this be an opportunity for NT much like the one that Boise had when the Big West lost the Las Vegas Bowl? The Big West needed a bowl game, Boise stepped up to the plate and created one, and their program has taken off as a result. We would regularly beat Boise back in the Big West days... they were nothing more than a mediocre low rung FBS back then. In fact, Idaho was the stronger football program for most of the Big West days. Boise made some significant changes, including adding the Human Bowl... and they became an attractive candidate for the WAC. The Boise Bowl is not the signature bowl game for the WAC and their program has advanced itself to national prominence. TCU did the same thing with the Ft Worth Bowl and became attractive to the MWC. Hawaii controls their local game... etc etc..

We have a historic bowl in our backyard asking for new teams/conferences to carry on their tradition. Why not sponsor the bowl (like Boise, TCU, Hawaii) - broker a deal with CUSA and the Belt. CUSA is located in Dallas and has SMU, Rice, Houston, Tulsa - all would be good draws for the game. Belt has Arkie State, NT, both Louisiana schools... Troy would make the trip if invited, so would the MUTS. Why not help the Cotton Bowl folks get this off the ground and secure a spot for SBC #2 in the process? Heck, move SBC #1 into this new game and have SBC #2 go to New Orleans.

Why not help the Cotton Bowl folks get this off the ground and secure a spot for SBC #2 in the process? Heck, move SBC #1 into this new game and have SBC #2 go to New Orleans.

no. i would rather go to new orleans and get stabbed than fair park and get stabbed. at least the superdome has a roof.