Do Liberals Crave A Master?

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/06/do_...e_a_master.html

Contemporary liberals, having abandoned the belief in God-given inalienable rights, masochistically crave a worldly master. This master is a sadistic god-substitute who will provide the stern discipline needed to force economic equality and "fairness" by requiring painful sacrifices and bestowing government-created rights onto obedient and acquiescent groups of left-leaning masochists.

Of course, I am not referring to the sexual variety of masochism, but rather the recognized psychosis of moral masochism. Large segments of the population, and even entire nations can suffer from this illness as described in Daniel Rancour-Laferriere's book, "The Slave Soul of Russia: Moral Masochism and the Cult of Suffering".

This past week, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi exhorted, "Every aspect of our lives must be subjected to an inventory..." in order to sacrifice ourselves to the gods of global warming. As presidential candidate Obama said, "We can't drive our SUVs and, you know, eat as much as we want and keep our homes on, you know, 72 degrees at all times..." He seems to indicate that he wants us to starve and freeze.

Most of these initiatives involve the inflicting of pain and misery. Tom Daschle, in his book "Critical: What We Can Do About The Health Care Crisis" says health-care reform "will not be pain free" and that seniors should be more accepting of the conditions that come with age instead of having them treated. In other words, you will suffer a slow agonizing death under government mandate.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

It kinda sounds like the flip side of the liberals' view that conservatives want people hooked up to machines keeping them "alive" (a la Terri Schiavo (sp?)) well beyond any detectable brain activity.

Is there any conversation here that doesn't start or end with "conservatives" and "liberals" demonizing each other? Tired. I can remember getting into arguments with people over various issues at a place called Jim's Diner in Denton back in the early 80's when that those on either side would actually mention that they felt better for having had the argument. I can't even remember if we called each other by any political label.

If you believe in God, it seems reasonable to conclude that he made all of us, even though we are of many different views.

I can remember getting into arguments with people over various issues at a place called Jim's Diner in Denton back in the early 80's

Not an attempt to derail your excellent point about the current state of civil discourse, but I remember when Jim's Diner changed to that Italian place. One of my favorite (of the many signs) in the old Jim's said "You don't need no teeth to eat the beef in Jim's Diner." I also miss the many, hotly contested but civil conversations had there.

As presidential candidate Obama said, "We can't drive our SUVs and, you know, eat as much as we want and keep our homes on, you know, 72 degrees at all times..." He seems to indicate that he wants us to starve and freeze.

Sounds more like, "stop burning off so much gas for no really good reason, stop getting fat, and stop wasting electricity". Okay, that's reduction of pollution, reduced medical expenses due to complications associated with obesity, and less money spent for extraneous resource use. Okay.

Sounds more like, "stop burning off so much gas for no really good reason, stop getting fat, and stop wasting electricity". Okay, that's reduction of pollution, reduced medical expenses due to complications associated with obesity, and less money spent for extraneous resource use. Okay.

To me it sounds like someone who thinks they know how to live my life better than I do.

I drive a SUV and I'm usually toting around 4, 5 or 6 other passengers. So I can take one "car" where it would require two or three cars otherwise. If I'm paying for the electricity, it's my business if I want to run the AC and leave the front door open.

Keith

To me it sounds like someone who thinks they know how to live my life better than I do.

Isn't that how religion started? Maybe I should stop going to church, reading the bible, or listening to the opinions of posters like meangreenbob.

How dare they tell me to turn the other cheek...that pacifist hippie liberal Jesus!

(and before people think I'm comparing Obama or any other political leader to Jesus, I'm not...just having fun with hyperbole)

I don't think the main objective of (most) law and policy makers is to tell other how to live their lives, but rather to lessen the burden on society in general (i.e. lower insurance and healthcare costs, cleaner environments, lower dependence on foreign energy, etc.).

Edited by BeanCounterGrad'03

I drive a SUV and I'm usually toting around 4, 5 or 6 other passengers. So I can take one "car" where it would require two or three cars otherwise. If I'm paying for the electricity, it's my business if I want to run the AC and leave the front door open.

Keith

As a fellow Connecticuter, and one who also at the very least spent (at least) 4 years in Texas...when the hell do you need air conditioning?

As a fellow Connecticuter, and one who also at the very least spent (at least) 4 years in Texas...when the hell do you need air conditioning?

Hahahaha...Hyperbole my friend, hyperbole - simply for effect. I figured AC would carry more umph than heater for all our brothers (and sisters) reading in God's country, um, I mean Texas.

Keith