I Think That There Is A Negative Piece About Dr B Coming On

stebo

I am watching a DVR copy of Survivor from tonight and there was just a promo at the very end for "College Admins that are Raising Tuition on KIDS but using PERKS to help themselves" and then it cut to none other than Dr B talking about how "perks" help her with her job. I dunno - let me know if you see it. Should be on any minute but I am doing homework.

Edited by stebo

They are ripping her a new one. The whole thing is about perks. Her salary is about $350K but after all her perks, she gets a half million. They showed a breakdown of her perks... she gets $10k for a car allowance yet she has a free Lexus provided to her so the allowance is cash in her pocket. They give her another $50K for a housing allowance because the University does not provide a house and she has to entertain guests "sometime twice a month!" - so she needs $50K to water the plants and clean the place... oh, and to pay her mortgage, but the house doesn't belong to the school - she gets to keep the equity. There were all sorts of other amounts, for travel and country clubs and so on - all added up she gets a half million a year. No wonder she is always smiling. I wonder how much Dr B donates to the athletic dept? I would hope that she would be at a VERY high level. She is paid $20K more a year than the Pres of Berkely. Anyway, it was a slam piece - no bueno... probably no Phillip Young involvement though, lol.

Edited by stebo

Link to story

I have no idea why Dr. B. agreed to be on such a program. There is just no way to win anyone over when you make that much in this economy. As an aside, one of the side comments on this link stated that UNT is trying to restrict their enrollment to an increase of about 2% a year. I did not know that, but do not disagree it is the thing to do.

Guest JohnDenver

Yawn.

The media is going to jump all over anyone they believe makes too much money, especially in today's climate. A university President is like the CEO of a company. You gotta pay to get the good ones.

I completely agree. Big Yawn. There are 80 football coaches that make more income than she does...

Just more of the Class Warfare horse$#!^ that is so common today. Of course they never mention the times when Dr. B too was working her ass off as a young college student, earning her way through it all. All of that gets skipped over of course. The media must paint a picture that Dr. Battaile and the other university prez were simply born and then just handed their salaries from day one. The sickening part of it is, just like the picture that the anti stadium bafoons have tried to negatively paint, from Andy Hogue, the Denia neighborhood "Victims" to now Phillip Young, is that there are the countless clueless out there who will swallow it hook, line and sinker.

Rick

She's brought at least 100 times that amount to the University since she started (over $50 million is new research & endowment). A 1/100th cut of that seems eminently fair. Too bad it's now illegal to make money in this country.

WATCH THE 30 MINUTE CEO REPORT THIS EVENING (FRI.) @ 7:30 ON CHANNEL 13 KERA. THIS WILL PRESENT A MUCH TRUER PICTURE. Dr. B has never bowled me over a la Norval Pohl, but last night was surely a poorly done cheap shot, although I feel BOR chair Gayle Strange did some good damage control at the end. There are many out there who will try any tricks to thwart a public university not to mention our " good friends" on the hilltop. Unbiased journalism would also mention that today there is more financial aid available for students and scholarships of all kinds than ever in history!!!

Another great job of unbiased and fully researched reporting by our crack media today. And, UNT adds a school of journalism to add to the number of these "unbiased reporters of the truth". I did not catch the piece, but will watch this evening if I can. While I have my personal thoughts and some "issues" with the "Me Me Me Look at Me" Pres. B, I do not have a problem with her perks nor what she makes in salary. You want the job????? Be very careful how you answer that question, because if you think it's all about the money...well think again. It takes hard work and lots of PC-ness to get to her spot these days. You want to deal day in and day out with the "interesting crowd" that are college professors today, the alumni, the athletic headaches, the funding challenges, the "make nice" events that are constantly on your agenda...and the folks here and those like us on GMG.com 24/7? If so, go get your PHD, spend many years making little or nothing climbing the academic ladder and give it a go.

This is a tough job, and one that should be paid handsomely. We can argue over some of the perks, fair enough, but lots of folks make much more and do much less. And, yes, as was mentioned earlier...lots of coaches are making much much more and have even nicer perks. Give this line a rest and find something worthwhile to report. Good grief! Who thought this up to report and why? What's the real "back story" to this? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I hope this evening's report paints a more unbiased view than what this one is reported to have done.

However, this does not negate the fact that GOOD THINGS ARE HAPPENING AT UNT...even if Charlie Geren wants to kill the law school. BUM that he is! <_<

And while we're all attacking the costs of education, somebody want to explain to me why the used price on my accounting text is over $200 while I can use my publishing connections to get the same book, brand new, shipped to me from Sinagpore for under $70? (And yes, I know for a fact from two previous legal departments that not only is it legal to import, but also to resell such books)

Misguided anger on the part of the news team. I don't see any university presidents standing before Congress to defend their long and established history of profiteering, but I sure as hell do so representatives from the big three publishers showing up on Washington's steps.

Why didn't they do something on how much Mack Brown makes? Or Mike Leach? Or just to keep it on the same line, what do the presidents of tu or tt make.

I'd love to see the salary comparison of University Prez's vs Corporate CEO's. Guarantee the top 5 paid CEO's make more than all div 1 prez combined.

Do you really see this as an apples to apples comparison?

Do you really see this as an apples to apples comparison?

no, I think the university prez's are paid much more in line with the value they add to the university than CEO's are paid in comparison with the value they add. $500,000 for running a 34+K university is not extreme at all, unlike some CEO's that made over $100M for their compensation package after running their company in the ground cough, cough, Angelo Mozillo, cough .

Yawn.

The media is going to jump all over anyone they believe makes too much money, especially in today's climate. A university President is like the CEO of a company. You gotta pay to get the good ones.

Amen. UConn's Jim calhoun is teh highest paid state employee in Connecticut. Coaches makes ridiculous money, but I would rather have a good one of those around here.

They are ripping her a new one. The whole thing is about perks. Her salary is about $350K but after all her perks, she gets a half million. They showed a breakdown of her perks... she gets $10k for a car allowance yet she has a free Lexus provided to her so the allowance is cash in her pocket. They give her another $50K for a housing allowance because the University does not provide a house and she has to entertain guests "sometime twice a month!" - so she needs $50K to water the plants and clean the place... oh, and to pay her mortgage, but the house doesn't belong to the school - she gets to keep the equity. There were all sorts of other amounts, for travel and country clubs and so on - all added up she gets a half million a year. No wonder she is always smiling. I wonder how much Dr B donates to the athletic dept? I would hope that she would be at a VERY high level. She is paid $20K more a year than the Pres of Berkely. Anyway, it was a slam piece - no bueno... probably no Phillip Young involvement though, lol.

Boo hoo.

So, you don't want more journalists but you do want more lawyers?

All:

God save your majesty!

Cade:

I thank you, good people—there shall be no money; all shall eat

and drink on my score, and I will apparel them all in one livery,

that they may agree like brothers, and worship me their lord.

Dick:

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Cade:

Nay, that I mean to do.

Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78