Nt Daily Is At It Again.......

LAZER

Editorial: New stadium an insult to students

I am really beginning to hate the NT daily. I cannot stand how the anti stadium crowd keeps bringing the 86% of the students that did not vote. Although I agree that the percentage of students that did not vote is large, was this not the largest voter turnout in school history?

The editorial states:

"Though an open forum was held to discuss the project, it was poorly publicized, and few students knew it was taking place. Had a greater effort been made to inform students of this forum a low voter turnout would have been less offensive, as the administration would have at least made some effort to involve the students and let their voices be heard."

This statement also drives me insane because the stadium vote was highly publicized. There was signs all over campus, fliers, multiple NT daily articles, FWST articles, DMN articles, local radio discussion and local television news stories. UNT students either did not care about the outcome of the vote or are completely blind. I understand the editorial is referring to the forum and to be honest maybe it wasn't publicized very well. I do not even remember a "discussion forum" existing. Although the forum may not have been well publisized the stadium vote was.

Make sure to read David Y's comment on the editorial.

One final comment: The title of this editorial is the dumbest thing I have ever read. An Insult? give me a break.....

These Losers need to get a life.

Edited by LAZER

I notice from the comments that EVERY comment disagreed with the editorial writers. There was even a "not all of the editors agree" with the editorial writer! It appears the editorial board couldn't find a subject and on a bare majority decided to rehash the issue even though everyone, including some of the editors, disagreed.

I want a refund for the fees I've paid for the armadillo and the rec center. I never have and never will set foot in either one of those places. They are an insult to my studenthood!!!!! While we're at it, I don't use the student union, the library, the on campus computer labs or the one o'clock lounge!! I'm not just insulted, I'm downright offended!!!!! Shame on the university for trying to provide a diverse range of top notch facilities for its eclectic student body!

Does anybody read the Daily? Back in the day, nobody did. It was considered sort of a joke.

Times have changed.. Most of us read it... (mid 60's --- no internet, no cable TV, and we feared getting drafted to Nam rice paddys besides --that was no joke)

It is my sincere wish that the Board of Regents would help this university out just a bit and kill two albino squirrels with one stone. Help the university cut some of it's operating budget and at the same time help the NT Daily staff learn some real world experience by eliminating any and all funds they may recieve from the university and make them go out and earn it on their own through ad's and sponsorships.

Rick

It is my sincere wish that the Board of Regents would help this university out just a bit and kill two albino squirrels with one stone. Help the university cut some of it's operating budget and at the same time help the NT Daily staff learn some real world experience by eliminating any and all funds they may recieve from the university and make them go out and earn it on their own through ad's and sponsorships.

Rick

I don't know if this has changed since the mid-90s but the NTDaily got a good portion of it's advertising sales from Journalism-major students in the Advertising sequence. The Advertising Sales course required students to solicit advertising from local Denton businesses and then later included regional and national advertisers. Grades were directly determined by meeting a specific sales quota. It SUCKED!!!! I know from personal experience. I recall a few managers/owners of local Denton businesses would literally run and hide when you announced your affiliation with the NTDaily.

I don't know if this has changed since the mid-90s but the NTDaily got a good portion of it's advertising sales from Journalism-major students in the Advertising sequence. The Advertising Sales course required students to solicit advertising from local Denton businesses and then later included regional and national advertisers. Grades were directly determined by meeting a specific sales quota. It SUCKED!!!! I know from personal experience. I recall a few managers/owners of local Denton businesses would literally run and hide when you announced your affiliation with the NTDaily.

Again, this doesn't represent all the opinions of the editors at the NT Daily.. We have a new views editor who has been deadset on writing something about the stadium and finally got a chance..

Also, the NT Daily is primarily funded through student service fees and partially funded by advertising.. Just to clear that up