Possible New Bowl For The Sun Belt

DeepGreen

Posted by Arkstfan on the Sun Belt message board.

The Orlando Sports Foundation is taking steps toward being certified by the NCAA for a bowl game to be played at UCF's Brighthouse Networks Stadium.

Right now their target is to start as Sun Belt vs. C-USA. To make it through the certification process they need to demonstrate there is demand. They need to be able to show potential sponsors in Orlando that Sun Belt fans are interested and will come to support their team. They need to demonstrate to the NCAA that there is demand for and interest in such a game.

Your part is two-fold.

First if you will follow your team to Orlando the weekend before Christmas, fill out the form and list your school. I would suggest that you avoid just initials or shortened forms of the school name so there is no confusion.

Second, whether you will go or not, send the link to everyone you know who would be interested and ask them to forward it as well, get it posted on the message boards around the league.

Don't spam it or flood it, just send in real legitimate interest if you have it.

New Bowl

Edited by DeepGreen

They need a better form.

Would I go? This year? No. By the time they get the thing off the ground and I've graduated and have money again? Sure.

Would I buy a hotel/ticket/theme park package? Without knowing any details? Where's the choice for maybe? I'd be interested in a ticket/airfare/hotel deal, but I don't need the giant mouse ears force fed to me thank you veddy much.

the other part of me would like to see UNT have a better chance of making one.

Part of me wonders about the dichotomy of UNT fans who say the fans and program are complacent and apathetic with no sight on higher standards, yet still clamor for any post season bid regardless of how manufactured or completely irrelevant. The hopes for joining some alphabet soup tournament conjured up by some website on the basketball thread is a good example of this.

Part of me wonders about the dichotomy of UNT fans who say the fans and program are complacent and apathetic with no sight on higher standards, yet still clamor for any post season bid regardless of how manufactured or completely irrelevant. The hopes for joining some alphabet soup tournament conjured up by some website on the basketball thread is a good example of this.

Right now we only have a realistic shot at the New Orleans Bowl or maybe some other lower tier bowl. If we are happy with this and do not improve our program and its standing with the goal of something better, then I think that we have a problem.

I think all the bowls are meaningless and manufactured and very irrelevant. They are fun for fans, however and have their place in the current system, however flawed it may be.

Now, if we can have one additional crappy-meaningless bowl that increases our chances of a post-season in the meantime, then I think we have to consider it, if for only a brief moment.

This would be a great deal. Another resort location for a bowl. Yes, there are too many bowls and I would like to see higher standards like 7 wins or at least a winning record in conference games. But those rules are not going change, the Belt is at the point it should have at least two guaranteed bowls.

Wow, impressive!

The Orlando Sports Foundation is committed to uniting the alumni, friends, faculty, staff and community of Conference USA and Sun Belt Conference schools in order to establish a premier sports federation dedicated to:

Developing a premier post-season college bowl game

Promoting national recognition of Orlando as the number one place for sports and entertainment

Further establishing the already strong community and family atmosphere of the Central Florida region

Helping to unite our community in the fight to end breast cancer

Has anyone looked at what they are planning to call this bowl?

I can only begin to imagine the silly nicknames people will have for this game...

The Breast Cancer Bowl

The Pink Bowl

I am not sure if you are familiar with the Susan G Komen race "For the Cure" - but I would imagine that this is a very very smart marketing campaign to get the bowl certified... there are already 2 bowls in Orlando and this would make #3. By tying this to a popular charity, it is tough to get turned down... smart business move.

sgc-logo.jpg

I am not sure if you are familiar with the Susan G Komen race "For the Cure" - but I would imagine that this is a very very smart marketing campaign to get the bowl certified... there are already 2 bowls in Orlando and this would make #3. By tying this to a popular charity, it is tough to get turned down... smart business move.

I believe they have tagged "For the Cure" on several events before; Race, Run, Walk... I think I remember hearing about a charity bowling event once-Bowl For The Cure. Sound familiar? The Susan G Komen For The Cure Bowl just seems to have too many syllables in it.

You're right on it being good marketing campaign. How could any committee turn down a bowl with a charitable name?

Stebo's posting says it all.

The fight against breast cancer is growing momentum everyday,

nation wide. I am impressed with the Orlando Sports Foundation plan,

and even more impressed with their choice of the Sun Belt Conference

to support their cause. The marketing alone for this bowl will be huge.

Major corporations will jump at the chance to use their name and their

support, with this bowl game. TV networks will be right in there too.

Not only fans of the particapating teams will attend, but people

from all over the country will come to Orlando.

This bowl is not about North Texas, it is about a great cause.

Support the Orlando Sports Foundation and complete their

request. Help make this bowl a reality.

http://www.bringabowltoucf.com/

Here are some views by SBC fans: http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=353399

Edited by charlie nt73

I have mixed feelings about this.

part of me says that there are two many bowl games.

the other part of me would like to see UNT have a better chance of making one.

hurm.

I think there are two many bowls for other schools. You can be 7th or 8th place in the Big 12 or SEC and still get a honorable bowl. I do think for the SunBelt to be competitive we have to have bowls, near our conference locations.

I would go watch North Texas in the Save The Breasts Bowl!