Are you kidding? I guess I'll play along.

Closing Gitmo will release more people like this dbag out into the wild.

Really though, are you kidding?

Are you kidding?

I mean if this is what Gitmo does to a guy then why even have it open in the first place? Sure is a waste of tax payer money to lock up some guy, beat the shit out of him, release him, and have him back in Yemen leading the new terrorist revolution. What's the purpose of even having the damn thing?

Or he could have just been suspected of committing or conspiring to some sort of crime when he was in fact innocent, and beating the shit out of him for a few years just pissed him off and made him hate America. Perhaps?

Edited by Coffee and TV

I mean if this is what Gitmo does to a guy then why even have it open in the first place? Sure is a waste of tax payer money to lock up some guy, beat the shit out of him, release him, and have him back in Yemen leading the new terrorist revolution. What's the purpose of even having the damn thing?

Objection, your honor... assumes facts not in evidence.

This guy wasn't some innocent rug maker in Afghanistan in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was a known financier of terrorism. So to say GTMO turned him into a terrorist is just false.

I am not happy with the situation in GTMO, but war always forces a nation to make hard choices between the safety of its citizens and the rights of those who wish to take them away. At the very least, the GTMO prisoners deserve a quick military tribunal followed by a quick trip to the gallows if found guilty. They do not deserve trials in American courtrooms. They do not deserve the same rights they fight to destroy.

I am not happy with the situation in GTMO, but war always forces a nation to make hard choices between the safety of its citizens and the rights of those who wish to take them away. At the very least, the GTMO prisoners deserve a quick military tribunal followed by a quick trip to the gallows if found guilty. They do not deserve trials in American courtrooms. They do not deserve the same rights they fight to destroy.

You have already convicted them before their trial.

We the people have established that our current system of justice is the best system available. The right to a fair and speedy trial is one of our founding principles. Aren't we hypocritical in our philosophy?

Yes, we should have tried these criminals much quicker than we have. However, everyone seems to sympathize with these sorry bastards, they are animals and deserve to be treated as such. And in response to one poster, these guys aren't here for being innocent, they are known terrorist. Not one country in the EU has stepped forward and said they would welcome these guys in there country, wonder why? Is Europe just a bunch of uncaring people or are they smart not to want these people on their soil?

Yes, we should have tried these criminals much quicker than we have. However, everyone seems to sympathize with these sorry bastards, they are animals and deserve to be treated as such. And in response to one poster, these guys aren't here for being innocent, they are known terrorist. Not one country in the EU has stepped forward and said they would welcome these guys in there country, wonder why? Is Europe just a bunch of uncaring people or are they smart not to want these people on their soil?

Do you not pay attention to the news, hundreds of people have been released back to their countries...including many in Europe. The problem is it took 3+ years for "us" to decided which ones were in the wrong place at wrong time. There's still people who have had their case reviewed and it's been determined that their is no evidence of a crime, yet they are still their. I'm for closing GITMO, not for the wholesale release of all it's occupants. Use the justice system to try them, if innoncent release them, if guilty do whatever the sentence is.

Do you not pay attention to the news, hundreds of people have been released back to their countries...including many in Europe. The problem is it took 3+ years for "us" to decided which ones were in the wrong place at wrong time. There's still people who have had their case reviewed and it's been determined that their is no evidence of a crime, yet they are still their. I'm for closing GITMO, not for the wholesale release of all it's occupants. Use the justice system to try them, if innoncent release them, if guilty do whatever the sentence is.

no i guess i didn't read the news yesterday that stated the eu did not want to take the animals in and that they were meeting monday morning to discuss the issue. If you want to get a real pulse for the news, try newsmax

Are our Constitution and will of our founding fathers so easily forgotten? Or did Adams open the flood gates with that dickish Alien and Sedition Act?

Liberals whip out the Constitution when they think it fits their need, but are happy to dump on guns and line up in droves to vote for politicians who propose expanding government's power far beyond the power enumerated in said document, and when courts make up rights like "privacy" and "healthcare". No problem for most big Government libs to let the Federal Government crap all over states rights. It'll be interesting to hear what you libs have to say about the Constitution once the "Fairness Doctorine" talk gets going here soon. ...most of you still think it means freedom FROM religion, not freedom OF religion, but I digress...

On this particular issue - The Constitution does not apply - these detainees are not Americans, they weren't captured on American soil, they are combatants fighting against our soldiers. The Constitution does not enumerate rights upon a military enemy.

...nor, frankly, does the Geneva convention apply. This is not an organized enemy or an opposing army or country we're dealing with here. No uniform = no geneva convention.

As I said earlier in this thread - this is pandering to his lefties who got him in office. There is a reason he's given himself a year... he has lots of time to put these people someplace not CALLED Gitmo so it looks like he's changed the situation for the people we're holding. That's it.

You have already convicted them before their trial.

We the people have established that our current system of justice is the best system available. The right to a fair and speedy trial is one of our founding principles. Aren't we hypocritical in our philosophy?

Not at all. They would still receive an American trial, just in front of a tribunal which is still a system that protects the rights of the accused. Hell, the tribunal system failed to convict bin Laden's driver. It has one only one conviction, and that guy was sent to Australia to serve 7 years.

And people seem to forget that we have already released over 500 GTMO prisoners.

Edited by UNTflyer

Liberals whip out the Constitution when they think it fits their need, but are happy to dump on guns and line up in droves to vote for politicians who propose expanding government's power far beyond the power enumerated in said document, and when courts make up rights like "privacy" and "healthcare". No problem for most big Government libs to let the Federal Government crap all over states rights. It'll be interesting to hear what you libs have to say about the Constitution once the "Fairness Doctorine" talk gets going here soon. ...most of you still think it means freedom FROM religion, not freedom OF religion, but I digress...

On this particular issue - The Constitution does not apply - these detainees are not Americans, they weren't captured on American soil, they are combatants fighting against our soldiers. The Constitution does not enumerate rights upon a military enemy.

...nor, frankly, does the Geneva convention apply. This is not an organized enemy or an opposing army or country we're dealing with here. No uniform = no geneva convention.

As I said earlier in this thread - this is pandering to his lefties who got him in office. There is a reason he's given himself a year... he has lots of time to put these people someplace not CALLED Gitmo so it looks like he's changed the situation for the people we're holding. That's it.

That was amazing. Just plain amazing.

In paragraph one you started to make a point about liberals "whipping out the constitution", then quickly took a hard right turn to go off on other subjects that nobody is even discussing. It took you all of two sentences to reach for the quasi-straw man. Impressive.

In paragraph two you say that the Constitution doesn't even apply (though I then have to question the need for the diatribe in paragraph one if the Constitution isn't even in play). You throw the icing on that little cake by saying that these people "aren't Americans" and "weren't captured on American soil" as if these statements were 1)True (where do you think suspected terrorists that are captured in America go?) or 2)Relevant to the point that the dirty libs are making. Let me spell it out for you. America was founded upon, and clings to as the basis of its superiority, ideals that are of a higher moral value. When we throw around crazy terms like "due process" and "we don't torture" there is no asterisk next to them with the addendum "unless you're muslim and/or brown". If we abandon them in our dealings with our enemies then we are sending the message to the rest of the world that we stand by our core values...unless we can find an excuse not to. So, no, their citizenship or lack thereof is not the point.

In paragraph three you bring up the brilliant maxim "no uniform=no geneva convention". Wow. Eddie Izzard would love to meet you as he could this gem to his "no flag, no country" routine.

That was amazing. Just plain amazing.

In paragraph one you started to make a point about liberals "whipping out the constitution", then quickly took a hard right turn to go off on other subjects that nobody is even discussing. It took you all of two sentences to reach for the quasi-straw man. Impressive.

In paragraph two you say that the Constitution doesn't even apply (though I then have to question the need for the diatribe in paragraph one if the Constitution isn't even in play). You throw the icing on that little cake by saying that these people "aren't Americans" and "weren't captured on American soil" as if these statements were 1)True (where do you think suspected terrorists that are captured in America go?) or 2)Relevant to the point that the dirty libs are making. Let me spell it out for you. America was founded upon, and clings to as the basis of its superiority, ideals that are of a higher moral value. When we throw around crazy terms like "due process" and "we don't torture" there is no asterisk next to them with the addendum "unless you're muslim and/or brown". If we abandon them in our dealings with our enemies then we are sending the message to the rest of the world that we stand by our core values...unless we can find an excuse not to. So, no, their citizenship or lack thereof is not the point.

In paragraph three you bring up the brilliant maxim "no uniform=no geneva convention". Wow. Eddie Izzard would love to meet you as he could this gem to his "no flag, no country" routine.

taken right out of the book.

Edited by GreenMachine

---Wow... The Constitution argument...

...No we are not required to give the Iraq detainees Constitutional rights... BUT ... if we re trying to create a Democratic government there then we should at least get close to some of what it claims to stand for. If not... they absolutely will not "buy into" it.

---The real problem now is we have held so many of them so long (even some those already released) that they will be serious risks we we now turn them loose. On the flip side it is terrible to detain them as well if they haven't done anything and some of them hadn't/hasn't. The big problem and mistake has already happened**... We kept them too long without any investigation or proof that they were a problem.. NOW THEY ARE...( a big one) We now have a catch-22 problem... no good answer exists.

**Don't blame the new administration.

PS: no one from Iraq was involved in 9-11.... 16 of the 19 were from Saudi Arabia (our Mideast buddies?).

• Upvote 1