Thanks And Good Luck To Vizza

What has transpired is no shock to those of us who have at some point been contacted by the Vizza family. We've kept it under our hats. The bottom line is Giovanni Vizza is a kid. His parents want the best for him - whether it's starting here, or starting or sitting on the bench somewhere else.

During the ridiculous attacks on Giovanni during the season, his dad e-mailed me and thanked me for sticking up for him. It wasn't hard to do. The kid has guts, grit, and talent. What he gave to the team versus what he was getting back wasn't anywhere near equal. Much, and I'll go ahead and say dadgum near all of it, has to do with the coaching staff.

The program that offered him out of high school has gone to four bowl games in a row now. We may sit here and poo-pooh this bowl or that bowl. But, in the end, it's a reward for every kids on every team that gets to participate in them - win, lose, or draw.

My wife commented on how sad players, cheerleaders, and band members looked when their team lost a bowl game. I told her it wouldn't matter because they'd always remember the trip with all the days around it - the events, the charity visits, the seeing new places and things, the gifts, for the rest of their lives.

A good friend of mine whose dad coached at Georgia under Vince Dooley for 16 years, had one of his dad's bowl watches. Sure, it was just a watch, but it meant something to those who got them. It's a symbol of a successful year. And, it means something to their families.

It always brought back good memories for my friend - the trips to different places, meeting other players and coaches you don't narmally see in conference, event after event - the whole thing is an overall good, no matter how much the green lampshade detractors want to deride it. It's a good experience for the kids and their families.

Vizza was not going to get that experience here. He's got three years to play two somewhere. I wish him all the luck in the world. He was one of Todd Dodge's very few bona fide recruits - that is, someone other schools legitimately wanted (Chris Ault at Nevada - a longtime, experienced coach...and a good one out there).

In the end, the players are kids. College scholarships are a two way street. They are only one year, renewable offers. So, a coach can cut a kid loose anytime. The talk about loyalty and quitting is absurd and uncalled for. Giovanni Vizza gave 110% for this school and program on and off the field, as did his family. But, at some point, the other end must give.

For Vizza, it was clear that Dodge was not going to make any change necessary to better this program, not in the coaching staff or scheme. And, thus, he did the wise thing and left. He'll now go somewhere where he can get better coaching and, perhaps, be able to get into bowl game and experience some of the good times in college football in the three years he has remaining.

Good luck, Giovanni. The vast majority of us, as you and your family know, wish you well.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

For Vizza, it was clear that Dodge was not going to make any change necessary to better this program, not in the coaching staff or scheme. And, thus, he did the wise thing and left. He'll now go somewhere where he can get better coaching and, perhaps, be able to get into bowl game and experience some of the good times in college football in the three years he has remaining.

Good luck, Giovanni. The vast majority of us, as you and your family know, wish you well.

Well said... and right on the money.

GMG!!!

Yeah as I said earlier. Vizza was a great recruit and I really pleased with his decision to give NT a shot.

It was my favorite recruit in the past few years. I am disappointed that I wont get to see him mature and continue his career at NT. But failure does not lie on Vizza shoulders put the people who misled him that a Stadium was going to built by 2010 ( RV) and Dodge who was in over his head in becoming a college football coach at NT.

Vizza's departure is the end result and an embarrasment is left in our corner, our starting qb is leaving to go play for probably SFA or SHSU.

At least he isn't going to SMU, right??? That is the only positive we can tell ourselves.

What has transpired is no shock to those of us who have at some point been contacted by the Vizza family. We've kept it under our hats. The bottom line is Giovanni Vizza is a kid. His parents want the best for him - whether it's starting here, or starting or sitting on the bench somewhere else.

During the ridiculous attacks on Giovanni during the season, his dad e-mailed me and thanked me for sticking up for him. It wasn't hard to do. The kid has guts, grit, and talent. What he gave to the team versus what he was getting back wasn't anywhere near equal. Much, and I'll go ahead and say dadgum near all of it, has to do with the coaching staff.

The program that offered him out of high school has gone to four bowl games in a row now. We may sit here and poo-pooh this bowl or that bowl. But, in the end, it's a reward for every kids on every team that gets to participate in them - win, lose, or draw.

My wife commented on how sad players, cheerleaders, and band members looked when their team lost a bowl game. I told her it wouldn't matter because they'd always remember the trip with all the days around it - the events, the charity visits, the seeing new places and things, the gifts, for the rest of their lives.

A good friend of mine whose dad coached at Georgia under Vince Dooley for 16 years, had one of his dad's bowl watches. Sure, it was just a watch, but it meant something to those who got them. It's a symbol of a successful year. And, it means something to their families.

It always brought back good memories for my friend - the trips to different places, meeting other players and coaches you don't narmally see in conference, event after event - the whole thing is an overall good, no matter how much the green lampshade detractors want to deride it. It's a good experience for the kids and their families.

Vizza was not going to get that experience here. He's got three years to play two somewhere. I wish him all the luck in the world. He was one of Todd Dodge's very few bona fide recruits - that is, someone other schools legitimately wanted (Chris Ault at Nevada - a longtime, experienced coach...and a good one out there).

In the end, the players are kids. College scholarships are a two way street. They are only one year, renewable offers. So, a coach can cut a kid loose anytime. The talk about loyalty and quitting is absurd and uncalled for. Giovanni Vizza gave 110% for this school and program on and off the field, as did his family. But, at some point, the other end must give.

In response to the part I put in bold:

Uh, Riley Dodge was more highly rated and recruited, but don't let that get in your way, as were a number of other players.

I wish Gio and his daddy well and hope his daddy finds happiness for his son, but stating UNT didn't hold up it's end of the deal is beyond ridiculous. He received two years of FREE tuition, room and board, books, etc... and two years starting at a D1 program, something he would not have done anywhere else in D1.

Edited by UNTLifer

Yeah as I said earlier. Vizza was a great recruit and I really pleased with his decision to give NT a shot.

It was my favorite recruit in the past few years. I am disappointed that I wont get to see him mature and continue his career at NT. But failure does not lie on Vizza shoulders put the people who misled him that a Stadium was going to built by 2010 ( RV) and Dodge who was in over his head in becoming a college football coach at NT.

Vizza's departure is the end result and an embarrasment is left in our corner, our starting qb is leaving to go play for probably SFA or SHSU.

At least he isn't going to SMU, right??? That is the only positive we can tell ourselves.

Don't count out a Big 12 school, maybe a Texas A&M.

I wish Vizza well, no matter where he ends up. But I do think this is going to be a decision he regrets in about 5 years. I thank him for his service, yet I am disappointed that he jumped ship when the waters got extremely rough. I hope he knows you can't do that in the real world outside of college football.

He will now have to battle for a starting position at the next stop. Yes, he would have had that same battle here, but he would have entered that battle as the starter. He's got a big hill to climb at his next stop, even if it is D1AA. Don't be surprised to see him as a backup in his 3rd year of eligibility.

Don't count out a Big 12 school, maybe a Texas A&M.

I love when one thing is posted in one board and then you start seeing the mutations show up in other threads.

That being said, don't count out Texas A&M.