If Unt Went With A Two Qb System Like Ohio State

eulessismore

A two quarterback system? Do they both line up in the shotgun? How does the center know which one to hike the ball to? :D

In all honesty, I have no emotional investment in either quarterback. My objective opinion of Riley at this time is that he needs to double up at the buffet line and hit the weights before he becomes viable. He's too small and too fragile for the big time so far.

This is a joke, right? If Ohio State had a decent QB to begin with, they'd have won tonight going away. As it is, their two average QBs almost upset Texas with their spotty, desperate play. Neither one of them can pass a lick. Texas' young secondary kept Ohio State in the game all night long with busts at critical times - but, not enough busts to spell victory for two QBs who can't throw.

The starting QB here is Giovanni Vizza. Any type of jacking around with that arrangement will only lead to an even more pathetic offensive output in 2009.

The biggest joke of all is to suggest that Riley Dodge has even 1/10th the talent and ability of Ohio State's Pryor. At least Pryor can pull the ball down and run a 6-6, 235 pound frame at opponents. Dodge is too small to play QB at this level. He took a beating the little he did play and spent the season recovering. He'd be killed if his daddy stuck him in there and told him to try to do what Pryor does.

We already know Vizza is tough enough to take a beating and keep going. We already know that he can get the ball to the receivers when he's consistently given time to do so. We also know he's a good scrambler. If coach Dodge inserts son Dodge into the mix the way Ohio State does, we will again be throttled by even our Sun Belt foes.

We need to hope daddy Dodge keeps his coach hat on - and that means Vizza and only Vizza playing QB unless he's injured. It's bad enough that his poor recruiting will spell a rebuilding year in the wide receiver corp in 2009. To throw in QB uncertainty on top of that? No. Let's all hope he's smarter than that.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

This is a joke, right? If Ohio State had a decent QB to begin with, they'd have won tonight going away. As it is, their two average QBs almost upset Texas with their spotty, desperate play. Neither one of them can pass a lick. Texas' young secondary kept Ohio State in the game all night long with busts at critical times - but, not enough busts to spell victory for two QBs who can't throw.

The starting QB here is Giovanni Vizza. Any type of jacking around with that arrangement will only lead to an even more pathetic offensive output in 2009.

The biggest joke of all is to suggest that Riley Dodge has even 1/10th the talent and ability of Ohio State's Pryor. At least Pryor can pull the ball down and run a 6-6, 235 pound frame at opponents. Dodge is too small to play QB at this level. He took a beating the little he did play and spent the season recovering. He'd be killed if his daddy stuck him in there and told him to try to do what Pryor does.

We already know Vizza is tough enough to take a beating and keep going. We already know that he can get the ball to the receivers when he's consistently given time to do so. We also know he's a good scrambler. If coach Dodge inserts son Dodge into the mix the way Ohio State does, we will again be throttled by even our Sun Belt foes.

We need to hope daddy Dodge keeps his coach hat on - and that means Vizza and only Vizza playing QB unless he's injured. It's bad enough that his poor recruiting will spell a rebuilding year in the wide receiver corp in 2009. To throw in QB uncertainty on top of that? No. Let's all hope he's smarter than that.

Hmmm, maybe I could have put the question less offhandedly, but I don't think it's any less a joke than your idea of becoming the Mike Leach of UNT. Really, a better question might be: how can our offense score more points as a part of a team that wins more games.

I think the criticism of our defense and special teams this year was valid, but I can think of being disappointed several times when the defense or special teams DID give the offense the ball with good, even outstanding field position when meaningful points were 30 or 40 yards away, and the offense putting no points on the board. I'm not calling out any particular player, mind you, although it would make no difference to me which of the 5 quarterbacks on the 2008 roster were on the field, or for what percentage of the game. And, TFLF, I do agree that coaching has been a problem in all aspects of the game. However, if the current coaching staff has recruited Vizza, who you have now praised, and developed Fitzgerald into a nationally recognized receiver from a walk on with little previous time, they must have done something right. As for other aspects of the offense, many here have praised Leftwich, and rightly so, based on what he's done here AND at other colleges.

JUST TRYING TO GET A CONVERSATION STARTED TO SEE IF ANYBODY HAS ANY GOOD IDEAS ON HOW TO GET BETTER. Of course, there's that mass firing of coaches which noone seriously expects to happen between now and next September.

Or possibly the question should be; can we work together as alumni, students, coaches and players to get where we want to be, or would that interfere with someone being the smartest person in the room, or board, whatever (which I know for damn sure isn't me).

JUST TRYING TO GET A CONVERSATION STARTED TO SEE IF ANYBODY HAS ANY GOOD IDEAS ON HOW TO GET BETTER.

It is well established that I am not the X's and O's football expert by any means. That given, I remember three primary offensive plays over the season:

1) Screen pass a la the West Coast offense

2) Cam Montgomery run straight up the middle

3) 50 yard prayer to Fitzgerald

There simply has to be more variety in the play calling. Someone pointed out that we didn't have the speed to challenge the secondary. Maybe what we need is to bulk Riley up and put him in the backfield. He could be UNT's very own Cordell Stewart. He's already got the speed and the arm. He just needs the size to take the hits. Create options for ourselves in absence of down field speed.

With the playbook as it was this past season even a football neophyte like me could see what was coming a mile away, and that can't be good when going against capable defenses.

It is well established that I am not the X's and O's football expert by any means. That given, I remember three primary offensive plays over the season:

1) Screen pass a la the West Coast offense

2) Cam Montgomery run straight up the middle

3) 50 yard prayer to Fitzgerald

There simply has to be more variety in the play calling. Someone pointed out that we didn't have the speed to challenge the secondary. Maybe what we need is to bulk Riley up and put him in the backfield. He could be UNT's very own Cordell Stewart. He's already got the speed and the arm. He just needs the size to take the hits. Create options for ourselves in absence of down field speed.

With the playbook as it was this past season even a football neophyte like me could see what was coming a mile away, and that can't be good when going against capable defenses.

Since 1)Seldom got back to the line of scrimmage, and 3) Is not available next year, I guess 2) Could be a starting point.

I do agree that we need greater variety and deception in the playcalling, and that some of the speed, which I think Riley's presence on the field at least showed us what that looks like, is needed to make things work. I really do like the idea of keeping Riley out of play for another year and have him gain some strength to go with his speed.

Edited by eulessismore

I can only remember one creative offensive play from Dodge/Ford last year. That was the Riley end around where almost got into the end zone from 30 yards out. Other than that, everything was pretty much your standard spread offense pass plays.

I am starting to wonder if this offense can make strides, adjust to defenses, exploit weaknesses, etc... I thought they should of ran Cam a lot more since he seemed so productive when he got the ball, but that did not happen.

I have no expectations for next season. Don't know what kind of team we will have but I do know we will have some seasoned players on the field, what that equates to in regards to wins/losses, I don't know?

and developed Fitzgerald into a nationally recognized receiver from a walk on with little previous time,

Don't kid yourself. Casey became a nationally recognized receiver because he had the talent and was just given a chance to finally step on the field. Southlake Jesus didn't turn coal into a diamond.

If Ohio State had played the other QB ( not Pryor ) they would have won the game. Pryor cannot pass a lick , and loves the run out of bounds play.

If we'd played Boeckman any more that we did, he'd have had ended the game with 2 interceptions, taken 6 sacks from Orakpo alone and the game would have been the blowout everyone expected.

Pryor looks like the real deal. He doesn't have a bad arm at all and he is a true freshman. In a couple of years he may have enough balls in him to lead him to a championship or be something like Vince Youngesque. Boeckman is a decent QB but I think Tressel used him just the right amount. Green Buckeye is right in that he can make careless throws and does throw a lot of picks. I look forward to seeing Pryor atleast the next two seasons in Columbus.

Pryor looks like the real deal. He doesn't have a bad arm at all and he is a true freshman. In a couple of years he may have enough balls in him to lead him to a championship or be something like Vince Youngesque. Boeckman is a decent QB but I think Tressel used him just the right amount. Green Buckeye is right in that he can make careless throws and does throw a lot of picks. I look forward to seeing Pryor atleast the next two seasons in Columbus.

If Pryor learns to now throw off his back foot and cut up the field, he could be the next... Tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrvaris Jackson!

Seriously, how do you still have such poor fundamentals that late in a season, freshman or not?

I know this may be a shock to you all, but I agree with TFLF here. Well, with one exception that is, and I must ask TFLF a question regarding this:

It's bad enough that his poor recruiting will spell a rebuilding year in the wide receiver corp in 2009.

Please explain how his recruiting has been so bad taking into consideration he had roughly two weeks to put together his first class, and, in my humble opinion, it is way too early to judge last year's class?

I give him a pass on his first class because of the time constraints and, although I don't agree with rating a class before they have played out their eligibility, last year's class was rated as one of the best by a "mid-major" in the country.